Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 06:51 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,390,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Kids don't think like adults, not always even in their late teens.

A kid that has been raised right in the first place would know not to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 07:11 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,312,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Nonsense. If you can't be bothered to teach your kids to respect the rights of others, you're doing a p***-poor job of parenting.

You make it clear to your kids from earliest ages, don't trespass. I don't know why this has become an issue of late, but it was never an issue when we were kids. There were certain neighbors who were fine with kids-known-to-them cutting through their yard, and that was fine - but the issue was that that was the exception, not the rule. And if you didn't have an "OK" in PLAIN ENGLISH from the property owner, you didn't assume it was ok.
Different people, different neighborhood, different expectations. In some neighborhoods, there are enough people who are OK with whatever along these lines that it's not unreasonable for one to assume something like this is OK in the absence of one saying otherwise.

If you don't want kids in your yard, it's your yard to do with as you please, and it's on YOU to clarify things. Open your mouth. I'd have no problem telling dog lovers that I don't want their dog in my yard even if everyone else is OK with it and it made me the local scrooge. It's not hard to do. If you're too lazy to open your mouth and use the vocal chords and oxygen God gave you, you have no business complaining about anything.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:33 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,648,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
YES to all of that.
We also taught our kids to respect the property of others.
We also have walkers and bicyclists on the right-of-way (ours is 12 feet though).
We also talk to our neighbors.
Is this something new? I grew up in a suburb of Pittsburgh with no sidewalks, and we did not ride our bikes on people's lawns. For one thing, many people, such as my own parents had flower beds, hedges, little patches of concrete, gravel, etc in front of their houses. Although it was an old neighborhood, there were a few driveways as well. We rode in the streets, which had very little traffic during the day, as is the case for most residential neighborhoods, even today. Back then, most families had one car and the husband took it to work.

Quote:
Nonsense. If you can't be bothered to teach your kids to respect the rights of others, you're doing a p***-poor job of parenting.

You make it clear to your kids from earliest ages, don't trespass. I don't know why this has become an issue of late, but it was never an issue when we were kids. There were certain neighbors who were fine with kids-known-to-them cutting through their yard, and that was fine - but the issue was that that was the exception, not the rule. And if you didn't have an "OK" in PLAIN ENGLISH from the property owner, you didn't assume it was ok.
OK, here's where I do a 180 on what I posted above. We did walk through other people's yards frequently. We never asked the homeowner/residents, either.

Quote:
Honestly, if I had talked to the parents and they continued to do this, I'd tell the parents one last time - and make clear what my next step will have to be.

Then the next time I'd call the police and have them removed.

Hopefully they will decide I'm the Mean Ol' Lady and start rumors about how i kill, cook, and eat little children, not necessarily in that order.
There is no evidence that the OP has talked to the parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
A kid that has been raised right in the first place would know not to do it.
You're applying adult thinking to kids.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
You're applying adult thinking to kids.

I'm specifically saying that being a good parent means instilling some manners in your children so they know not to do this already.

Assuming the parent is not a child was rather silly of me, so I digress.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:53 AM

352 posts, read 386,432 times
Quote:
I'm a cyclist (or was before my disability) and this is not a thing. If you have to jump the curb into the he**strip, you need to find somewhere else to ride.

And I've ridden on urban, suburban, and deep country roads. Never have I ever had to "move off the pavement" (by which I assume you mean the actual road and not the sidewalk, where no one but 5 year olds with training wheel ought to be riding).
No curbs or sidewalks on the roads I speak of. Anyone, motorist, bicyclist or pedestrian should be able to move off of the paved portion without having to contend with obstructions placed in the public right of way by homeowners.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I'm specifically saying that being a good parent means instilling some manners in your children so they know not to do this already.

Assuming the parent is not a child was rather silly of me, so I digress.
Oh, come on! It might not occur to the parent, who after all is 25-35 years or more beyond their kid, that their child would even consider riding a bike over someone's lawn. I have to admit I never told my kids that, although we do have sidewalks here.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 04-13-2016 at 11:53 AM..

Old 04-13-2016, 11:37 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,927,642 times
Even in strictly residential areas, there's no getting around the fact that there are far more cars on the road than even 30 years ago. Our high school, with 1000 student parking spots, has to hold a lottery every year to see who gets one (seniors automatically do). No curbs, or sidewalks in or out of the neighborhoods here. No bike lanes either.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:14 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,042,430 times
Quote:
Oh, come on! It might not occur to the parent, who after all is 25-35 years or more beyond their kid, that their child would even consider riding a bike over someone's lawn. I have to admit I never told my kids that, although we do have sidewalks here.
Agreed. If I saw my kids riding their bikes on the neighbor's lawn, I would tell them not to do so. But, it's really amazing how many things you do have to explicitly tell kids. They aren't born with common sense or an understanding of all social mores.

I recently saw one of my kids, along with a handful of other neighborhood kids, attempting to belly-slide down a patch of newly installed sod in another neighbor's front lawn, after a rain storm. The new sod was slippery and I'm sure, great fun. I was horrified and told them they had to stop immediately, as it was likely going to ruin the grass. They did, no big deal, no hard feelings. You just have to tell them.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I have to admit I never told my kids that, although we do have sidewalks here.

My point exactly. We made sure our kids knew that you never trespass on someone's property. And we had sidewalks as well.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
My point exactly. We made sure our kids knew that you never trespass on someone's property. And we had sidewalks as well.
The number of perfect parents on this board never ceases to amaze me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting