Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2016, 05:57 PM

617 posts, read 933,432 times

Advertisements

Does that make a difference? My wife is pregnant and we will need childcare while we work starting when the baby is 6 weeks old. The day care provider is out of her home. She seems nice, has references, but no online reviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 06:11 PM

19,480 posts, read 24,971,935 times
Check the rules. While it may have changed, in my state, you first have to licensed with state before you could apply for any type of local "license" or permission to operate in your local area.

So, are you sure that this person is following the legal requirements of your state?

Now, if she is only going to be caring for one child (your child) she may not need to licensed by the state (of course, it depends on the state) and how you feel about taking your child to an unlicensed child care provider.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:26 PM

66 posts, read 48,411 times
There are the rules and there is what matters. Those are not the same thing.

It may be that in your state this is legit or not, you need to check your state law if you care about the rules.

What matters is whether or not you are happy with the provider. Do you like her? Do you trust her? Have you deeply checked her references (ie, you are sure they are from actual clients and not just friends)? Best of all, do you people that you independently know and trust speak well of her? What is the "vibe" of the place when you go there during her operating hours? Is that the vibe you want your kid in? Those are the things that matter, regardless of what the government says.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:36 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,035,367 times
Where I am, a state license is needed. I doubt a town or village business license counts. It's also possible she has few enough kids that she doesn't need a license.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:53 PM

499 posts, read 581,466 times
Starting at 6 weeks old? Wow...I would be really really careful. "She seems nice" doesn't cut it in my book. A baby so young is still quite fragile. Please do plenty of research, thoroughly check references, and make sure she is fully licensed by looking into your state requirements.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:45 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,744,814 times
I stayed with a neighbor (who my parents paid) while my parents were at work for my entire childhood. No license required (not enough kids) and everything was fine. HOWEVER, my parents knew the neighbor very well and trusted them completely.

If you don't already know this person, be really careful, and get to know them now.

Old 04-13-2016, 03:54 PM

7,989 posts, read 10,332,852 times
I teach preschool. I would absolutely never use any daycare that was not licensed by the state. The state ensures, if nothing else, that the environment is safe and basic safeguards are in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting