Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 07:40 PM

480 posts, read 668,776 times

Advertisements

I have a certain fear than 5, 10, 20 years from now, we will not have men's rooms or women's rooms anymore, but just bathrooms and everyone will use the same one. I have very specific reasons as to why that is a bad idea but I am not one to make rules for society and have to just go with the flow of things.

A high school in my neck of the woods recently created a all-gender bathroom for both men and women.

Wondering what your honest opinion is about this.

To make this specific to the parenting forum, what is your thoughts as a parent about this?

(While this debate is being brought up by the transgender debate, you will notice that I didn't say anything about transgender bathroom use. I am referring specifically to eliminating mens and women's bathrooms in general and just making them bathrooms for all.)

Old 05-16-2016, 07:44 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
This is a solution looking for a problem.

Seriously, I could walk into a men's room tomorrow and no one could stop me.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:59 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,448,984 times
I am sure your own home has non gender specific bath rooms, and you are having no problems using them!

Old 05-16-2016, 08:00 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
There have been "cross dressers" for... a long time... decades? centuries? It hasn't suddenly become a safety issue. This is a manufactured crisis.

I think locker rooms are the exception (different than restrooms). A person can go into a stall and have relative privacy. In a locker room, where people are completely undressing, there is more to consider.

I would much rather a transgender woman pee next to me than have a both-gender restroom. More and more places have single-stall family type restrooms and changing rooms now. I think it is likely that the issue will resolve itself over time.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:04 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,896,042 times
IDK, we're pretty hidebound. I don't see why people building new buildings in the future would think it was a great idea to only have one bathroom. I think it is more likely that we'll see three bathrooms, like you see in airports.

Not that I'd really care, as long as that one bathroom was cleaner than the average mens room.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:11 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,183,667 times
Look back at the history of public bathrooms. This same BS debacle has gone through this cycle for women and minorities. That's right, we didn't always have public restrooms for women. Blacks had to use different facilities. It's always is couched in some ridiculousness of what about the kids, and what about the dignity of women. It's a total farce. We as a society really should be passed this type of trivial tripe.

Last edited by Jabronie; 05-16-2016 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: stupid grammatical errors

Old 05-16-2016, 08:15 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
I think having several single restrooms available would be good. Some stores have family restrooms now. The idea is that a parent of one gender can take their child of the opposite gender to the restroom with them. It's also good for disabled people who have a caregiver of the opposite gender. For example, my mom cares for my dad who has dementia. He can't go to the restroom by himself, and she can't use a restroom and expect him to wait outside for her. They can only go to stores that have a family restroom now, and she had to buy a special lock that works on any door, so that my dad can't take off while she's on the toilet.

Situations like that will probably become more common as we have more elderly people and possibly less resources to care for them. If any good comes from this manufactured crisis about trangendered people and bathrooms, hopefully it will be that there are more single stall bathrooms in stores.

And about everyone using one restroom and cleanliness...I've cleaned a lot of bathrooms in my time and the men's room is never as bad as the women's room. Women are pigs...they hover and leave the seat all wet, they don't dispose of pads or tampons the right way, they cover the toilet with piles of toilet paper to act as a seat cover and then leave it all over the place. The worst thing you'll find in a men's room is a puddle on the floor, and a mop and some bleach water takes care of that really quickly.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:17 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
IDK, we're pretty hidebound. I don't see why people building new buildings in the future would think it was a great idea to only have one bathroom. I think it is more likely that we'll see three bathrooms, like you see in airports.

Not that I'd really care, as long as that one bathroom was cleaner than the average mens room.
Exactly. In the future there will be three bathrooms, male, female, and a private one-person bathroom for people who need more privacy.

Everyone can stop clutching their pearls now.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:19 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,067,991 times
My honest opinion? You probably don't want to hear it.

I really don't give a care from an adult perspective, but no way on earth would I want a grown man going into the restroom with my little girl. It has nothing to do with gay/straight or any other manufactured "oppressed" group but everything to do with common sense.

Same thing with a locker room. Who in their right mind thinks it's appropriate for a teenage boy to shower with a group of teen girls (other than perhaps the hormonally overactive teenage boy)?

Old 05-16-2016, 08:22 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
My honest opinion? You probably don't want to hear it.

I really don't give a care from an adult perspective, but no way on earth would I want a grown man going into the restroom with my little girl. It has nothing to do with gay/straight or any other manufactured "oppressed" group but everything to do with common sense.
Who would?

Quote:
Same thing with a locker room. Who in their right mind thinks it's appropriate for a teenage boy to shower with a group of teen girls (other than perhaps the hormonally overactive teenage boy)?
No one.

But you seem to be involved in a completely different argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting