Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 10:05 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times

Advertisements

Wy are you so worried about your friend's job? Seems weird. He will figure it out the way he wants to, or he wont. It is 100% up to him. It has NOTHING to do with you.

Yes, there are night nannies. Care.com and nanny agencies are good places to find them.

I wouldn't have wanted a night nanny in a million years. I was a full time mom and I wanted to be there with them when they woke up at night. And one of my kids did until they were 6 years old!

My husband got up with the babies like 3 times ever. Which is crappy and totally self centered if you ask me. But he managed to keep a job where he was responsible for people's lives and didn't kill anyone.

So...I think your "friend" will be ok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 10:30 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,136,596 times
My plan is for my husband to be a SAHD (which he really wants anyway, he's much more maternal than I am), he'll deal with nights on my work nights, and I'll bring home the bacon.

I also don't plan to breastfeed. I'd go for a wet nurse, but my husband finds that idea too creepy.

I'll probably buy it instead:
http://www.onlythebreast.com/breast-...ds/browse-ads/

And we're only planning on one kid, partially so we only have to go through this ordeal once. Lol!

Old 04-19-2016, 10:53 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Wy are you so worried about your friend's job? Seems weird. He will figure it out the way he wants to, or he wont. It is 100% up to him. It has NOTHING to do with you.

Yes, there are night nannies. Care.com and nanny agencies are good places to find them.

I wouldn't have wanted a night nanny in a million years. I was a full time mom and I wanted to be there with them when they woke up at night. And one of my kids did until they were 6 years old!

My husband got up with the babies like 3 times ever. Which is crappy and totally self centered if you ask me. But he managed to keep a job where he was responsible for people's lives and didn't kill anyone.

So...I think your "friend" will be ok
I was thinking the same thing. I also think it's weird that an upper-middle class tech professional doesn't have any leave saved up. Furthermore, what the heck has he been doing for the past six or so months? Arranging for leave, in whatever form that may take, is pretty basic stuff.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:55 PM

537 posts, read 597,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I would bet that the man has at least some vacation time on his job, possibly even several weeks a year and maybe even some sick leave.

Or is he planning on taking all of vacation time by himself while his wife stays at home with their newborn baby? (of course, I am joking, most loving husbands & fathers do not do that).

I have known a number of men whose jobs did not offer paternity leave who planned their paid vacation time to coordinate with the birth of their child. Of course, it wouldn't be a lot of time but it is better than nothing.

Plus, the OP said that they could afford a night time nanny so that he won't have to get up with the baby.

Heck, if he is that worried about his job, he can buy a bigger house so he can sleep in a bedroom far from the baby, use multiple white noise machines between the baby's room & where he is sleeping, wear ear plugs.

It seems like he may be worrying too much. BTW, some babies cry very, very little at night.
I think you and many other posters here are right in that he is worrying too much. I'll relay him the advice in this thread, as there's some good pieces of it. Thanks!

Old 04-20-2016, 01:47 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,540,599 times
Sleep deprivation sucks, but it is a fact of life with babies. He's just going to have to deal with being tired at work and hopefully he can nap after work or after supper if he's that tired.

I think it's only fair for both parents to be care-givers at night. It is a long, lonely night when you are up with a fussy baby. Spelling each other off at night makes a WORLD of difference for functioning during the day.

I breast fed both our boys. The first for 9 months, the second for 4 months.

So, if I was to give ONE word of advice to parents: if the mother decides to breast feed, let the baby get used to the taste of formula and drinking from a bottle RIGHT FROM THE START and keep it up every couple of days or they will reject it. Just a couple of ounces is enough

Doctors and nursing clinics discourage this idea, but I say this for a few reasons:

1) so the dad can get up for a night feeding every other night or so
2) in case you have a big eater and she/he wants to eat every hour or two. That little bit of formul helps a LOT to satisfy!
3) if you pump so you can go out, and have a babysitter, the baby needs to be able to accept a bottle because:
What happens when the baby drinks all that you've pumped and is still hungry? a shrieking, hungry child
What happens if the babysitter drops and breaks the bottle of breast milk, etc. It happens...
4) in the rare instance the mother suddenly can't breastfeed due to illness or an accident. Try introducing a 3 month old baby to formula and a bottle if they've never done it! You are in for a battle and a shrieking baby for hours. Believe me.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:16 AM

1,559 posts, read 2,370,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Well, presumably he has a spouse to help. Some fathers take some time off as paternity leave to help with the adjustment. But to be perfectly honest, he won't get through 18 years of parenthood without losing some sleep.
Fact here.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:58 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,244 times
He can get a nanny or mother's helper for the daytime hours so his wife can get some sleep, and she can get up at night with the baby. Some friends of mine had the mom sleep in the room with the baby, and the husband slept in the guest room. Worked fine.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:01 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,922 times
I think you're in the DFW area. Try this service for your co-worker.

Services | Newborn Nightingales

Old 04-20-2016, 05:09 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,010,140 times
Mother is the best solution by the way OP why you worry this much??

Old 04-20-2016, 06:51 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Well, presumably he has a spouse to help. Some fathers take some time off as paternity leave to help with the adjustment. But to be perfectly honest, he won't get through 18 years of parenthood without losing some sleep.
Truer words were never spoken And if the co-worker is trying to bail out of parenting responsibilities before the kid is even born, I'm wondering how devoted he will be as a parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting