Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 08:13 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times

Advertisements

If he's working and his wife is not, then getting up with the baby is her job. If they can afford to hire help at night and they choose to, great. If not, she gets up with the baby. It's not bailing on parenting responsibilities, it's dividing up the household responsibilities...he's responsible for financially supporting the household, she's responsible for making sure he gets a decent night's sleep so that he's able to continue supporting the household.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 09:10 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBungo View Post
That's debatable. More than one person has lost their job where I work due to mistakes made due to lack of sleep, often caused by young children.

It's a big problem in tech actually, and I suspect is a reason why many companies don't like to hire people with children - people without young children are able to focus better. Few people could survive in my department on less than 5 hours of sleep, consistently. For me, I need a good 7 at least.

While, I believe people should be responsible on the job,IMHO it is sad when companies punish people who want to have children

I am a retired special education teacher and I remember the parent of student scheduled to enter my classroom telling me that in her opinion there should be a law that special education teachers be prohibited from ever having children of their own so that they could devote their entire lives to their students.

And, this parent was very serious, not joking. As I was visibly pregnant at the time her words were pretty strong. She actually moved so that her child could be in a classroom where the teacher was not married.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:37 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
If he's working and his wife is not, then getting up with the baby is her job. If they can afford to hire help at night and they choose to, great. If not, she gets up with the baby. It's not bailing on parenting responsibilities, it's dividing up the household responsibilities...he's responsible for financially supporting the household, she's responsible for making sure he gets a decent night's sleep so that he's able to continue supporting the household.
Do you really not see that a mom needs some uninterrupted sleep too? I mean, weekdays, yes I can see the one who doesn't have to get up in the morning does night time duties. But weekends? Vacations? Holidays? My husband almost never did it to the point that he couldn't. The kids wouldn't settle down for him because they were used to me. And I spent 7 years in a sleep deprived fog. The working parent should help out where they can. being a full time mom is hard and taxing.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:01 AM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Do you really not see that a mom needs some uninterrupted sleep too? I mean, weekdays, yes I can see the one who doesn't have to get up in the morning does night time duties. But weekends? Vacations? Holidays? My husband almost never did it to the point that he couldn't. The kids wouldn't settle down for him because they were used to me. And I spent 7 years in a sleep deprived fog. The working parent should help out where they can. being a full time mom is hard and taxing.
As a mother of three, I agree with the first poster. I didn't relish getting up at night with a newborn, and I was very tired for a while, but my husband had to actually get up and go to work at 6:30 am every weekday. He has a physical, demanding job--auto mechanic--and can't afford to make mistakes because of sleep deprivation. I could rest a bit during the day. He couldn't.

Saying the working parent and stay-at-home parent should equally divide nighttime childcare during the week makes about as much sense to me as saying these same two parents should equally divide laundry, cooking, and household cleaning during the week. Stay-at-home means you do the lion's share of the work at home...right?

But to address the second poster, of course, on the weekend, sure, he did more for the kids at night (and a lot more during the day too).

We were super lucky that all our babies slept through the night by 12 weeks, and rarely woke at night after that--but I know that isn't necessarily a typical experience. Maybe I'd feel differently if my kids hadn't slept through the night for 7 years.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:41 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Since it's clear from the OP that he had at least one kid and managed, I'm wondering why this is all such a mystery to him. Doesn't he have some wisdom to share with his coworker about early parenthood?

Old 04-20-2016, 11:29 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Ive heard it all now!

Old 04-20-2016, 11:48 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
I don't understand his concern if his wife is at home. Just because 'these days men are expected to do more' doesn't mean that is what his family life will look like. If he explains to his wife he needs sleep and will help out on the weekend, I would imagine she'd be understanding.

I personally didn't expect my husband to get up or be disturbed by the kids when I was at home and he was working. He is way over thinking this.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:50 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBungo View Post
No paternity leave, unfortunately. My kids took almost a full year before they started sleeping through the night consistently, however, so I'm not sure how much good four weeks of paternity leave would do. The first few weeks certainly are the hardest, however. Even teenagers are easier than that!
This is not necessarily true. Mine slept a lot in the first 1-4 months, and woke up just to nurse. Once they start teething...sleep becomes a whole different ball game. I was also a stay at home mom so I did all the night duty. I was a strung out cranky mess for 5 years or so, but my husband got his beauty rest. Philosophically I didn't have a problem with that.

Many new parents deal with their anxieties by glomming on to one issue that they can focus all your worry on. The OPs coworker has chosen lack of sleep leading to losing his job as his focus. He can only parent his child one day at a time, and he can only do his job one day at a time, so he should just not cross this bridge until he gets to it.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:00 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Our first one was a tough one but it was self inflicted because Mom would charge into the room every time the baby made a sound. Then she was so tired she wanted me to help. This after working 10-12 hour days. It just about killed both of us and I can guarantee my work suffered.

We eventually got the kid to sleep through the night by making sure Mom stayed put instead of flying out of bed at every squeak.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:22 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Our first one was a tough one but it was self inflicted because Mom would charge into the room every time the baby made a sound. Then she was so tired she wanted me to help. This after working 10-12 hour days. It just about killed both of us and I can guarantee my work suffered.

We eventually got the kid to sleep through the night by making sure Mom stayed put instead of flying out of bed at every squeak.

Many of our friends used baby monitors. They could hear every tiny, tiny little sound and would immediately rush in to the baby's room (if they weren't already sleeping in there or vice versa). Some of those baby monitors were so powerful I bet that they could hear a fly, sitting on the window sill on the other side of the room, pass gas!

We always used white noise machines, in both our bedroom and the baby's room, and we still could easily hear whenever the baby needed us. But, if the baby was just yawning, or wiggling or moving their fingers or just breathing a little loudly we just left them self-sooth.

Disclaimer......but every family is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting