Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 04:59 PM

537 posts, read 597,951 times

Advertisements

I have a co-worker who is having his first baby in a few months, and he's terrified about the prospect of the lack of sleep. Our job requires meticulous attention to detail, so it's a very real possibility that if he doesn't get a full night's sleep he could screw something up very badly and lose his job (has happened before when a co-worker wasn't getting sleep due to an infant not letting him sleep).

He's stressing out because he thinks he's going to ruin his entire career due to the lack of sleep. He has no family nearby who can help.

Surely there is another way? Could he get a nanny for 10 pm to 6 am five nights a week just so he can get some decent sleep? How often do people do this? Anyone know what the cost of something like that would be for an infant under the age of six months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 05:49 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Is he a single parent? If not, he can do what some husbands & fathers have been doing for hundreds of years-----he can let his wife, the baby's mother, handle all the night time child care.

Where my son lives a typical nanny costs at least $15 an hour during the day. Frankly, I suspect that hiring someone for the night shift would be much more expensive, as most women, who work as a nanny, want to be home with their own children at night or want to go out or socialize at night if they are childless.

Perhaps, if it is a real problem he can sleep in a motel a couple of nights a week.

Frankly, if he can afford it he could do a variety of different things (hire someone to work for them, sleep in a motel, or buy a bigger house so he won't hear any crying from his bedroom).

What does his wife do for a living? Is it OK if she doesn't get any sleep? What does she think about hiring an overnight nanny?

BTW, excluding very, very, very wealthy people I doubt if hardly anyone hires a "night nurse" or night time nanny. But, if you can afford to do it, why not?

Last edited by germaine2626; 04-19-2016 at 06:02 PM..

Old 04-19-2016, 05:52 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
IDK... babies usually are up often to nurse. A nanny cannot help with that, right?

Old 04-19-2016, 05:56 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
IDK... babies usually are up often to nurse. A nanny cannot help with that, right?
Exactly. Fathers have been dealing with a lack of sleep for eons, just as new mothers have. He'll survive.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:57 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Well, presumably he has a spouse to help. Some fathers take some time off as paternity leave to help with the adjustment. But to be perfectly honest, he won't get through 18 years of parenthood without losing some sleep.

Last edited by maciesmom; 04-19-2016 at 06:15 PM..

Old 04-19-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Is he a single parent? If not, he can do what some husbands & fathers have been doing for hundreds of years-----he can let his wife, the baby's mother, handle all the night time child care.

Where my son lives a typical nanny costs at least $15 an hour during the day. Frankly, I suspect that hiring someone for the night shift would be much more expensive, as most women, who work as a nanny, want to be home with their own children at night or want to go out or socialize at night if they are childless.

Perhaps, if it is a real problem he can sleep in a motel a couple of nights a week.

Frankly, if he can afford it he could do a variety of different things (hire someone to work for them, sleep in a motel, or buy a bigger house so he won't hear any crying from his bedroom).

What does his wife do for a living? Is it OK if she doesn't get any sleep? What does she think about hiring an overnight nanny?

BTW, excluding very, very, very wealthy people I doubt if hardly anyone hires a "night nurse" or night time nanny. But, if you can afford to do it, why not?
He has a wife, but she is going to be a stay at home mom for a few years until the child is school aged. He is upper middle class, so he certainly could afford $15/hour 40 hours a week.

I know when my kids were younger, my wife was able to let me get sleep so I could function at my job, but it seems like there's more pressure on husbands these days to be an active participant in the parenting process, even when the children are infants. Most new parents I know seem to just be exhausted all the time, even the men. I was never that exhausted, because my wife let me sleep.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Exactly. Fathers have been dealing with a lack of sleep for eons, just as new mothers have. He'll survive.
That's debatable. More than one person has lost their job where I work due to mistakes made due to lack of sleep, often caused by young children. It's a big problem in tech actually, and I suspect is a reason why many companies don't like to hire people with children - people without young children are able to focus better. Few people could survive in my department on less than 5 hours of sleep, consistently. For me, I need a good 7 at least.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:17 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBungo View Post
He has a wife, but she is going to be a stay at home mom for a few years until the child is school aged. He is upper middle class, so he certainly could afford $15/hour 40 hours a week.

I know when my kids were younger, my wife was able to let me get sleep so I could function at my job, but it seems like there's more pressure on husbands these days to be an active participant in the parenting process, even when the children are infants. Most new parents I know seem to just be exhausted all the time, even the men. I was never that exhausted, because my wife let me sleep.

Does he have a paternity leave? One of my male relatives just went back to work half time, for a month, after a four week full time paid paternity leave. At my former job, men could use their accumulated sick days for up to six weeks of paternity leave. While very few men did that it was something that was in the contract. Since the first weeks are usually the hardest maybe that is something for your co-worker to consider.

If he can afford it, yes he should hire someone to help. Keep in mind that it would be virtually impossible (I believe) to hire a "wet nurse" so his wife will still need to get up during the night to breastfeeding their baby.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:23 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,960,789 times
My next door neighbors friend had twins last summer. Her friends went in and got her a night nanny. I think they paid for 3 months. I'll ask how much they paid the nanny. Just as an FYI to some of the responses some women can't or choose not to breastfeed for whatever reason.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Does he have a paternity leave? One of my male relatives just went back to work half time, for a month, after a four week full time paid paternity leave. At my former job, men could use their accumulated sick days for up to six weeks of paternity leave. While very few men did that it was something that was in the contract. Since the first weeks are usually the hardest maybe that is something for your co-worker to consider.

If he can afford it, yes he should hire someone to help. Keep in mind that it would be virtually impossible (I believe) to hire a "wet nurse" so his wife will still need to get up during the night to breastfeeding their baby.
No paternity leave, unfortunately. My kids took almost a full year before they started sleeping through the night consistently, however, so I'm not sure how much good four weeks of paternity leave would do. The first few weeks certainly are the hardest, however. Even teenagers are easier than that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting