Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 06:25 AM

10,230 posts, read 6,315,362 times

Advertisements

What about a 2 year old boy? Started dancing to video and radio at about 18 months. He's very picky though and has his favorites. It started with All About That Bass, which is still his favorite and includes some of Taylor Swift's and some others. My Grandson will stop playing with his toys when he sees a video on TV, watches it, and tries to copy it. Hip Hop type dance.

I suppose there are Hip Hop classes (too young yet) and that certainly would be appropriate for a boy. It's very cute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 10:08 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
She's two. Turn on the radio or the music channel and let her go to town.

Why is this an issue?

To Jo48, what? Appropriate for a boy? Oy vey.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:28 AM

10,230 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post

Why is this an issue?

Not what I meant. There is a major difference between having Rhythm and being Graceful. Something like Ballet absolutely requires Gracefulness. Few girls/women have it really. Even fewer boys/men do. This does not mean that boys cannot find another form of dance which is "appropriate" to their talents.

I took ballet as a little girl. Pass on that one. I switched to Jazz/Modern Dance. Rhythm. Both my daughters did also. They hated ballet and actually looked rather silly. If a young boy has the Grace to perform ballet, let him do it. He (or she) is very special to have that skill, and Grace. Encourage him if he does.

The same also applies to Ice Skating. Figure Skating versus Speed or Hockey Skating. Totally different skills involved. That does not mean that one is better than the other. Both my daughters were very good skaters at very young ages, but did not have the Gracefulness for Figure Skating. Obviously, some boys and men do. My younger daughter played competitive Ice Hockey from Boys Team to Women's College. That was were her talents were.

My Grandson is not Graceful as neither his Mom, Dad, or Grandma were. He DOES have a lot of Rhythm. Go with that if he likes and wants to Dance. Jazz/Modern Dance? I suggested Ethnic Dance when he gets a little older. I have seen little boys dance Irish Step Dance and they were outrageous, as were the Men. Greek Dance the same. Dance encompasses many genres. Explore them all.

I've danced semi professionally as a young woman with MALE partners who were excellent dancers.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:28 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Yes, sign her up for dance! My granddaughter is only 20 months, but she loves dancing too and I have encouraged her mother to sign her up.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:31 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post

Why is this an issue?

Who said there was an issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting