Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 12:45 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times

Advertisements

My daughter was at risk for eye problems and started having "eye tests" at birth and even few months until she was 3. She started having the vision testing (like a chart) and maybe 2...could have been earlier. As soon as she could talk. My son had no risk factors but we started doing full eye exams at 3.

I wouldn't go by your insurance. There is *no* way for you to home test an eye exam. I would pay out of pocket for a general exam. It doesn't have to cost a fortune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsallrightmama View Post
Twice a year, like clockwork...AND if he is sick. Don't be so quick to assume. Good day.
My kids went to a major pediatric clinic and they never did eye testing at the clinic. If you had concerns, they sent you to the eye doctor. The new one we go to (moved) does but I don't see a ton of value in the quick chart screen. I am sure it catches things here and there, maybe saves insurance some money. But doesn't seem really effective. I still plan on getting them full exams once a year.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:56 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,008,872 times
OP if you doubt then please take the check up. How sooner is how better. My daughter is under control since she was 3 months old baby. But she has no vision issue but a trouble with eye jumping to a corner due to a muscle issue. I am happy that I took my daughter with my own money. Yes insurances play us out all the time. You have to make it important and let them to agree. Please don't wait.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:49 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
1) Ask the pediatrician.
2) Health isurance is used for the ophthalmologist (eye doctor), pediatric ophthalmologists see children from birth on.
3) Vision insurance is used for the optometrist, each optometrist has different guidelines regarding the age of children they treat. Ask around.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:58 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
One of my sons saw a pediatric ophthalmologist before he was really verbal. He kept blinking his eyes and the pediatrician suggested I take him. I was amazed at how adept they were at dealing with tiny children. In his case, it was allergy related, but they were able to test his vision by having him point in the direction the arrows were facing.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
One of my sons saw a pediatric ophthalmologist before he was really verbal. He kept blinking his eyes and the pediatrician suggested I take him. I was amazed at how adept they were at dealing with tiny children. In his case, it was allergy related, but they were able to test his vision by having him point in the direction the arrows were facing.
It actually is amazing. They were doing those refractory tests ("which is better, 1 or 2") on my daughter when she was old enough to sit up (she sat on my lap). The doc was able to find out her vision without my daughter needing to answer questions at all. I was like...well then why do I have to answer?! I have no idea how she did it, but its the same now as it was then and she answers the questions.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:17 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
...and no response as to whether or not she's talked to the pediatrician about this, or why she's still going 2/year.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:44 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
1) Ask the pediatrician.
2) Health isurance is used for the ophthalmologist (eye doctor), pediatric ophthalmologists see children from birth on.
3) Vision insurance is used for the optometrist, each optometrist has different guidelines regarding the age of children they treat. Ask around.
I have been going to an ophthalmologist for decades. the only time when it was covered by health insurance was when I had a medical issue such as an eye infection or when I needed cataract surgery. At least 95% of the time my insurance did not even pay a nickel towards the cost of the visit. Of course, your health insurance may be different.

Although, I do agree that pediatric ophthalmologists see children from birth.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:23 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I have been going to an ophthalmologist for decades. the only time when it was covered by health insurance was when I had a medical issue such as an eye infection or when I needed cataract surgery. At least 95% of the time my insurance did not even pay a nickel towards the cost of the visit. Of course, your health insurance may be different.

My son's pediatric ophthalmologist was covered by our health insurance. Glasses and regular eye exam are covered by Vision Services Plan.

His pediatrician started doing basic vision tests when he was probably pre-school age. The ped saw an issue and referred us to the ophthamologist. He got glasses in kindergarten.

There is really no reason for the OP to be giving an at-home do-it-yourself vision test. If she suspects an issue, she should take him to the doctor, like she would for anything else.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:35 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
My son's pediatric ophthalmologist was covered by our health insurance. Glasses and regular eye exam are covered by Vision Services Plan.

His pediatrician started doing basic vision tests when he was probably pre-school age. The ped saw an issue and referred us to the ophthamologist. He got glasses in kindergarten.

There is really no reason for the OP to be giving an at-home do-it-yourself vision test. If she suspects an issue, she should take him to the doctor, like she would for anything else.
Is it possible that it was covered because your child had some type of medical need?

Our daughter saw an ophthalmologist from the time she was about seven, and started wearing glasses (for near sightedness), but I do not believe that it was ever covered by our health insurance (just like adult visits to ophthalmologists were not covered unless there was a medical issue). Obviously, your health insurance was different. I wanted to make that point so that people do not assume that all health insurances cover it.

What is a "Vision Services Plan"? Is that a private pay plan?

Nevertheless, the OP should take her child to the doctor if she has concerns.

Last edited by germaine2626; 05-05-2016 at 07:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting