Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2008, 06:33 PM

170 posts, read 581,717 times

Advertisements

A girl I work with has a friend who is going through a divorce and "they" have a DD who is 13 and weighs 220 lbs(AND high blood pressure and diabetes). DD is "slow"(not that that makes a diff, more of an FYI) and she sees the dietician regularily and is on a strict diet. But DAD has her the majority of the time and induldges her in buffets, etc. Is there anything "legally" that can be done? Would you consider this neglect or??????????? Just asking........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 09:16 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,399,178 times
I wouldn't call it neglect, but bad parenting. By this I mean, parents who love too much and fail to see that their child need help. I have 55 pound, 3 year old niece, who already attends a diabetic clinic to ward off diabeties. I don't think her parents have a problem, they just don't know how to say no. Neglect is so much harder to prove.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:44 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,717,719 times
Honestly, I doubt you can do much, but I would suspect sexual abuse myself. There are likely either medical reasons or serious psychological ones for a child being that overweight.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:16 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,490,633 times
Does the mother approve of what hte father does? Does the mother help with dieting, exercise and other methods of weight lose and getting in better health?

If she is doing all that she can, I would have her get a doctor's written note, taken to a custody hearing, and try to get more custody so that she can monitor the daughter more.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:03 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,918,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softtail_Honey View Post
A girl I work with has a friend who is going through a divorce and "they" have a DD who is 13 and weighs 220 lbs(AND high blood pressure and diabetes). DD is "slow"(not that that makes a diff, more of an FYI) and she sees the dietician regularily and is on a strict diet. But DAD has her the majority of the time and induldges her in buffets, etc. Is there anything "legally" that can be done? Would you consider this neglect or??????????? Just asking........

I don't have kids so take what I have to say with a grain, BUT it sounds like he is further jeopardizing her health and THAT is a problem. What does your friends attorney have to say about this? If I understand correctly, the DD has issues other than the weight/diabetes/high blood pressure so having a responsible parent that pays attention to the proper nutrition based on her needs is important since she may not be able to do it for herself (she needs a strong advocate, not a friend and indulger). Can the mother prove the father is making the DD's health worse by not following the strict diet put together by the dietician? If so, there may be legal ramifications for the father such as losing primary custody or something.

Good luck.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:15 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softtail_Honey View Post
I wouldn't refer to it as neglect, Softtail . . . a better term would be ABUSE!

Old 02-19-2008, 07:01 PM

932 posts, read 1,273,599 times
I would definitely take that fact to the court. If the friend does not tell the court, they have no way to know shes that overweight and her dietary guidelines are not being followed.

I imagine parents feel a lot of guilt over their kids in a divorce or separation, and want to spoil them and give them treats and all, and don't want to be the 'bad
parent and say no...but in some cases the situation needs to be re-evaluated.

Poor kid.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:07 PM

170 posts, read 581,717 times
Thanks everyone for your replies. The girl has an attorney now and there are some newly found accusations reported by the dad's neighbors, unfortuneately not good ones. Apparently looks like there might be some sexual abuse going on Esya, you called it right off the bat. Poor girl. And no the mother does not approve of him not following the strict diet and yes, she does what she is supposed to be doing for their child. Poor, poor, girl. I will keep you all updated as I get the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting