Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 09:19 AM

18 posts, read 19,987 times

Advertisements

So it was my 16th birthday a couple of months ago and after I had this big party I was expecting a gift from my parents for my sweet 16, preferably a car. I didn't tell them that I wanted it though hoping they'd surprise me, which they did just not in the way I wanted. Basically they sat me down and told me that 1) They would no longer give me any money at all 2) I would have to get a job and 3) That whatever I want to buy, like clothes/makeup/car/anything I would have to pay for it myself with the money I get from my job. I'm honestly extremely frustrated and angry, because I know they have more than enough money to give me they just won't anymore. I was lucky enough to be brought into a very affluent & well-off family, which is why I'm so upset. If they didn't have the money I would totally understand and I wouldn't whine and complain at all, the problem is I feel as though they're being totally selfish and mean. They forbade me from using the drivers and now I either have to take the bus, the subway or go places by foot.

It's so embarrassing, 95% of my friends got Range Rovers, Porsche's etc. for their sweet 16 and they can do whatever they want and shop an unlimited amount of anything, they ask me to go to Barney's for a shopping spree and then for sushi and I always have to make up some excuse because I'm too ashamed to tell them I can't afford any of that stuff, the only job I could find was as a waitress at this café and as you can imagine it doesn't pay well enough for me to be splurging on overpriced food and designer clothes, it's difficult enough trying to hide from people who go to my school whenever it's my shift. I'm just starting to really hate my life & most of all my parents, it's not fair that my friends can do whatever they want and buy anything because their PARENTS are nice enough to give them money whilst I have to work as a frickin' waitress because my parents are being awful. I'm honestly never speaking to them again whenever I try to they only give me this beyond annoying "you'll thank us later in life" speech which angers me even more. If anybody has any ideas as to how I can convince my parents to start giving me money again that would be beyond appreciated, because to be frank I'm tired of this, i want to be like all my friends and that right is being taken away from me.

Thank You For Reading
-Ellie

Old 05-16-2016, 09:24 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
Mod cut.

But if not... I say your parents are making the right choices.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-16-2016 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:29 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Judging from your post, I think they did you a favor.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:32 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
You are lucky to get a job at 16, and so quickly! My girls weren't able to work in restaurants here until they were 18 and they had to apply to many, many places.

How much are you making a week?

Old 05-16-2016, 09:39 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times
Who all here on CD got a Porsche or Land Rover on their 16th birthday??!!!

ANYONE?!?

That's what I thought.

I drove a hand-me-down station wagon that I shared with three siblings.

I guess you gotta work work work work work
Gotta work work work work work
Quitcha whine whine whine whine whin ing
Cuz u gotta work work work work work

Old 05-16-2016, 09:46 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Your parents didn't want you to turn out like Paris Hilton. They want you to know the meaning of money, and that it doesn't fall from the sky. Now that you have a job, you understand how hard it is to bring money in. If you want a lot of spending money, you'll have to get a good education and make the most of it, so that you'll get on a career track with high earning potential.

I went to a school where a lot of the kids got cars for their 16th birthday. Some had their own credit cards, funded by their parents. I found it shocking, at the time. There are millions upon millions of people in the world who don't even have safe drinking water or any running water at all in the home, let alone a car, and here so many kids take having a car for granted! Go volunteer for an organization that does economic development or health work in 3rd World countries (or here in the US ) to make some good use of your life, and get a reality check. Also consider getting new friends who are part of your new reality, so you won't have to feel embarrassed.

P.S. To get good tips (it's all about the tips, you know), give your customers after-dinner mints. If your employer doesn't provide them, buy a box of cheap ones yourself. This really works.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:47 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,117 times
I think it would be really easy to judge "poor little rich girl" harshly.

But, when you think about it, the parents would be better off if they moved to a less affluent neighborhood. In this girl's neighborhood, she is being made into a social outcast. She really isn't "one of them" anymore. She would have fit in at my high school. We all drove crummy cars and worked part time jobs.

I see the point of what they are doing, but I think it could do more harm than good.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:48 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Big fat hairy hugs to your parents.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:50 AM

18 posts, read 19,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
You are lucky to get a job at 16, and so quickly! My girls weren't able to work in restaurants here until they were 18 and they had to apply to many, many places.

How much are you making a week?
My parents helped me a bit with that, and I'm working at this place called "Peet's Coffee and Tea" um I make approximately $390 per week, but sometimes I make more because of what I make in tips. In total I make around $1000 per month which I know is A LOT to some people, it's just I was used to spending that kind of money to buy a t-shirt in the past, now I have to keep it for the entire month. It's definitely a huge change I'm having trouble adjusting to. It's difficult because I have to use that money for EVERYTHING.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:54 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loversandfriends24 View Post
My parents helped me a bit with that, and I'm working at this place called "Peet's Coffee and Tea" um I make approximately $390 per week, but sometimes I make more because of what I make in tips. In total I make around $1000 per month which I know is A LOT to some people, it's just I was used to spending that kind of money to buy a t-shirt in the past, now I have to keep it for the entire month. It's definitely a huge change I'm having trouble adjusting to. It's difficult because I have to use that money for EVERYTHING.
If this is at all a sincere post, welcome to the real world. It may seem like a shock to you now, but it seems like your parents didn't want you to turn into the kind of spoiled, greedy person who spends $300 on a t-shirt. Your parents' money is their money, and they've raised you in a comfortable environment, but you really have no right to anything beyond what they're willing to give you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting