Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 08:41 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
People with visual dyslexia often do have trouble reading music. So yes, it still could be dyslexia. Also, she shared the child has the same problem in english (where I doubt they are using notes for reading) and math.
I looked it up, and check it out, we're both sorta right lol. There might be a separate problem they are now calling dymusia which is basically music dyslexia, but may or may not be the same as reading dyslexia: How the brain reads music: the evidence for musical dyslexia

Very interesting stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 08:55 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Good lord! Get her evaluated for dyslexia (and maybe dyscalculia). This just can't be a real post. I mean, come on! Seriously!?!?!?!?!
surely to god a teacher noticed... poor wee girl..

Old 05-25-2016, 09:28 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
After you get to the bottom of questions about visionary & potential dyslexia issues, ask your child if she likes piano?

If she enjoys it, I say continue on.
But if she does not, find her some other activity in the arts like pottery making or painting classes or dance or theatre . Everyone has different abilities and passions. If you help your daughter find at least one of her gifts, it will provide her a lifetime of enjoyment. And most importantly it will be a serious confidence & self worth booster.

Old 05-25-2016, 09:32 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
My daughter who is ten years old in two weeks she will turn 11. She is playing Piano for five years. She just plays O.K. Other kids who just started to play six month ago or nine moths ago. Playing so much better.

I should not do this but when I compare my child to other child. Other child is playing so much better with passion and love. My daughter has what ever attitude.

Am I wrong on this? After five years of Piano class each week, I pay $25 for each class. She still makes basic mistake. She keeps reading letter d and b wrong. After five years she can't tell the difference between letter D and B ? same thing in Math class and English class. Her grades are around 65 to 75.

How do I tell her that she needs to change her attitude and start paying attention when teacher is teaching her something.
What everyone else has recommended about having her tested is good advice and I hope you follow it.

The title of your thread is "how to raise a confident child." If you want to raise a confident child, stop comparing her to other children and stop berating her.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:45 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,663,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
My daughter who is ten years old in two weeks she will turn 11. She is playing Piano for five years. She just plays O.K. Other kids who just started to play six month ago or nine moths ago. Playing so much better.

I should not do this but when I compare my child to other child. Other child is playing so much better with passion and love. My daughter has what ever attitude.

Am I wrong on this? After five years of Piano class each week, I pay $25 for each class. She still makes basic mistake. She keeps reading letter d and b wrong. After five years she can't tell the difference between letter D and B ? same thing in Math class and English class. Her grades are around 65 to 75.

How do I tell her that she needs to change her attitude and start paying attention when teacher is teaching her something.
Maybe piano just isn't her thing? She doesn't care about improving, and obviously, this isn't her passion. You've done this for five years. Time to stop, and investigate other avenues of interest. She may be fascinated by ceramics, stained glass, photography -- or perhaps guitar (popular with kids) or another instrument. Or perhaps dance? Athletics? Has she expressed a preference?

She's probably gotten about all of the benefit she's going to get out of it. A few years from now, she may pick it back up, and enjoy it, but I suspect she's feeling pressure to excel and is getting frustrated. No one -- child or adult -- likes to be forced to do something that they don't enjoy and aren't good at.

As far as the math and English -- time for tutors or enrichment classes if she's not performing well there. You don't want her to get too far behind on math and English, it makes it difficult to pick up. Make sure she doesn't have any learning differences that may be making it difficult to learn (mixing up d and b brings dyslexia to mind, and would make playing music difficult.)

Your initial question intrigued me -- "how to raise a confident child". Forcing them to do something they hate isn't the way. A confident child is one who is sure of her own ability to solve problems, and isn't afraid to try new things. You're putting things in her path now that she's not good at and getting annoyed when she doesn't perform to your expectations. You need to find something that she IS good at and nurture that. THAT is what creates confidence.

Do think about getting her tested for learning differences during the summer -- it might make all the difference.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:04 AM

656 posts, read 1,991,395 times
Don't compare. As parents it is so easy to get caught up in how another child is progressing vs. our child. I think confidence roots and grows in our kids when they feel and know they are accepted just as they are.

My son has played piano for 3 years. He shines in his own way at his own speed.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:04 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The title of your thread is "how to raise a confident child." If you want to raise a confident child, stop comparing her to other children and stop berating her.
I agree.

Hopefully you aren't lecturing your daughter about spending the $25 for each lesson, OP, because that is NOT going to help.

Your job as a parent includes helping her find her way by exploring interests and activities. It also includes being sure she doesn't have biological/medical obstacles that are hindering that process.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:05 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,237,430 times
If she has a "whatever" attitude,its obviously not something she even wants to do. Why are you forcing her to? Why not let her do something she wants to do and really enjoys? That way, whether she's good at it or not, if its fun and she enjoys it, she will be confident....ESPECIALLY if you let her enjoy it without meaningless comparisons.

That way you can save that $25 which is obviously so important to you.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:33 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
I looked it up, and check it out, we're both sorta right lol. There might be a separate problem they are now calling dymusia which is basically music dyslexia, but may or may not be the same as reading dyslexia: How the brain reads music: the evidence for musical dyslexia

Very interesting stuff.
I guess they classify things differently based on these things. But my daughter has severe visual and auditory dyslexia and you can see her dyslexia span many different aspects of her life, including reading music. Reading music is one of the areas the dyslexia center told us she might also struggle in. While you can split hairs, its all about the way the brain is seeing things.

Anyways, schools don't use the term dyslexia...they call it a medical diagnosis. Sigh. So they have to be retested and get a second diagnosis of a reading disability. Its all a giant pain in the butt. And not child or learning centered.

I have a hard time believing this is a real post. My daughter's kinder teacher was freaking out about my daughter's reading skills in the first month of school and her trouble with letters. If my kids were pulling in anywhere near Cs, we would be having frequent conferences at school. I got pulled in to a "your child is doing terrible in school" meeting 3 times when my kid was getting a B. Not because of the grade so much, but the specific problems they were having associated with the work. And the last thing I worry about is music lessons when my kids struggle in school. Learning problems make a HUGE impact on your kid's life now, they don't just fall through the cracks unless you are choosing not to pay attention at all.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:18 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
I assume that the OP's daughter started piano around age 5. Did she learn at that point by memorization of what she heard? I ask because it can be very hard for people to transition from that learning style into reading music successfully. I had one friend growing up who could memorize a song after listening to it once, harmonize/accompany someone beautifully (just make up an accompaniment) but could not read music for the life of her. I also learned music by memorization at first and reading music just never clicked for me either. At this point, she probably doesn't want to do it anymore and it's time to stop piano.

I don't now that this has anything to do with having any sort of learning disability or learning problems in school. It seems like they may not be related at all and that at this point any sort of learning disability would have been recognized. If this problem is just now coming up, it's likely behavioral/mental health related as opposed to disability related. With all the standards in today's schools, you're just not going to make it up to 6th grade without someone noticing you have a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting