Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 09:35 PM

674 posts, read 1,152,394 times

Advertisements

My daughter who is ten years old in two weeks she will turn 11. She is playing Piano for five years. She just plays O.K. Other kids who just started to play six month ago or nine moths ago. Playing so much better.

I should not do this but when I compare my child to other child. Other child is playing so much better with passion and love. My daughter has what ever attitude.

Am I wrong on this? After five years of Piano class each week, I pay $25 for each class. She still makes basic mistake. She keeps reading letter d and b wrong. After five years she can't tell the difference between letter D and B ? same thing in Math class and English class. Her grades are around 65 to 75.

How do I tell her that she needs to change her attitude and start paying attention when teacher is teaching her something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 09:40 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,754,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
She still makes basic mistake. She keeps reading letter d and b wrong. After five years she can't tell the difference between letter D and B ?
You realize that this is a common sign of dyslexia??

Have you had her evaluated for possible learning disabilities?????????

Old 05-24-2016, 09:48 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,692,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You realize that this is a common sign of dyslexia??

Have you had her evaluated for possible learning disabilities?????????
Yup!

Old 05-24-2016, 09:52 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,849,639 times
Good lord! Get her evaluated for dyslexia (and maybe dyscalculia). This just can't be a real post. I mean, come on! Seriously!?!?!?!?!

Old 05-24-2016, 09:59 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,751,373 times
I can't tell if she means the letters b and d or the NOTES b and d. If it's the notes, both look the same but are located on different parts of the musical staff. That's not dyslexia. Could be a learning disorder, but not necessarily that one. Just wanted to point that out.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:04 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,849,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
I can't tell if she means the letters b and d or the NOTES b and d. If it's the notes, both look the same but are located on different parts of the musical staff. That's not dyslexia. Could be a learning disorder, but not necessarily that one. Just wanted to point that out.
People with visual dyslexia often do have trouble reading music. So yes, it still could be dyslexia. Also, she shared the child has the same problem in english (where I doubt they are using notes for reading) and math.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:33 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,754,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
I'm aware. Her grades indicate that she is having more problems than just "reading music."

Old 05-25-2016, 07:07 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,857,289 times
Have you had her vision checked? In music b and d can easily be confused if your vision is not good. I think the same is true of English.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:17 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,464,656 times
Just remember, you are the parent. It's your job to get to the bottom of why this is happening. Assuming that it is an attitude when it could be all manner of physiological or even psychological issues is not taking on your responsibilities as a parent. Start with her pediatrician and see what he/she recommends. Then go from there. It might take you some time and some testing to figure it out.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:05 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,056,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
My daughter who is ten years old in two weeks she will turn 11. She is playing Piano for five years. She just plays O.K. Other kids who just started to play six month ago or nine moths ago. Playing so much better.

I should not do this but when I compare my child to other child. Other child is playing so much better with passion and love. My daughter has what ever attitude.

Am I wrong on this? After five years of Piano class each week, I pay $25 for each class. She still makes basic mistake. She keeps reading letter d and b wrong. After five years she can't tell the difference between letter D and B ? same thing in Math class and English class. Her grades are around 65 to 75.

How do I tell her that she needs to change her attitude and start paying attention when teacher is teaching her something.
If my child was receiving Ds and Cs on her report card I would be far more concerned about that than her piano lessons. In some school districts anything below a 70 would be considered failing but they may not be allowed to actually give an F to an elementary student. Has she always had difficulties in academics or is this something new?

Please discuss this with her teacher and others in her school such as the guidance counselor or psychologist. Has the school recommended that she receive testing to see if she has special needs? It may not be her attitude as much as her potential to learn new things.

If she has taken piano lessons for five years and she is still making basic mistakes it may mean that she is not capable or skilled enough to be successful (of course, it may mean other things, like she hates piano & wants to stop the lessons or does not practice).

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting