Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2016, 09:29 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I'm thinking more of the mental and emotional toll it might take on parents who never go out alone, never get their hair done, never really get a break of any kind, especially parents who might be prone to paranoia.
Meh, we survived and our kids thanked us.

BTW, we took the kids with us places, and their friends to boot.

It goes by quickly. Plus, we allowed each other to take turns getting away to do some things alone. No worries leaving kids with the other parent, right?! I should hope so. I suppose some folks have bad pickers.

Bottom line? Worth it all.

Stereotypes? Not hardly, but observed conversations in crowds, public, on forums and social media, etc., etc. And considering nail and beauty salons are now on every corner and every strip mall in every city and small town, as opposed to just a few here and there and multiple only in larger cities say twenty years ago, I would say substantiated.

Last edited by picklejuice; 05-29-2016 at 09:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2016, 09:35 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Meh, we survived and our kids thanked us.

BTW, we took the kids with us places, and their friends to boot.

It goes by quickly. Plus, we allowed each other to take turns getting away to do some things alone. No worries leaving kids with the other parent, right?! Bottom line? Worth it all.

Stereotypes? Not hardly, but observed conversations in crowds, public, forums, social media, etc., etc. And considering nail and beauty salons are now on every corner and every strip mall in every city nd small town, as opposed to just a few twenty years ago, i would say substantiated.
How did your kids ( and their friends!) enjoy the mandatory company annual awards banquet where your husband received an award? Did the company pay for those dinners in addition to yours? Did your husband's boss mind sitting at a different table to accommodate your additional entourage?

Old 05-29-2016, 09:44 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,680,255 times
Mostly not but most people with depression are not harmful or dangerous. Important not to insinuate as such.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
How did your kids ( and their friends!) enjoy the mandatory company annual awards banquet where your husband received an award? Did the company pay for those dinners in addition to yours? Did your husband's boss mind sitting at a different table to accommodate your additional entourage?
And how often and how many, pray tell, did you have to attend?

Look, find a nice little old healthy lady or exchange favors with your best pals. All i am saying is it is not necessary to hire a mentally ill person. There are perfectly good people around ( like us ) -if you don't take advantage or pay pennies. Besides, I doubt most folks battling a mental illness would want to have the stress and responsibility of babysitting anyway.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
And how often and how many, pray tell, did you have to attend?

Look, find a nice little old healthy lady or exchange favors with your best pals. All i am saying is it is not necessary to hire a mentally ill person. There are perfectly good people around ( like us ) -if you don't take advantage or pay pennies.
Annually=every year.

Who's to say nice little old ladies or one's best friends don't suffer from depression?

"Perfectly good people" deal with depression.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Annually=every year.

Who's to say nice little old ladies or one's best friends don't suffer from depression?

"Perfectly good people" deal with depression.
Well, indeed they very well could be. Would I pick them over someone I knew to be of sound mind? Doubtful. Would you?!

As a conscientious and concerned parent, I would try to choose the very best option for my child. Can you really find fault there?! If so, then you are full of and believe your own bull shyte.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Besides, I doubt most folks battling a mental illness would want to have the stress and responsibility of babysitting anyway.
I think you'd be surprised how many people you know take antidepressants. You don't know because the antidepressants are doing their job.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
bull shyte.
This isn't nearly as clever as you seem to think it is. Not to mention, against TOS.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
This isn't nearly as clever as you seem to think it is. Not to mention, against TOS.

Clever? Just the facts, ma'am. Just the facts.

Tattle if you like and if makes you feel better. (I am shaking in my boots, mamacita.)

Again. I would not knowingly hire anyone to provide care and supervision for my children who was nursing a mental illness. That wouldn't be prudent now would it?

Old 05-29-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:

Again. I would not knowingly hire anyone to provide care and supervision for my children who was nursing a mental illness. That wouldn't be prudent now would it?
Actually, much more prudent than you might think. A person who has realized they are struggling and are actively dealing with it are healthier mentally than someone trying to keep a lid on things.

I would spend more time focusing on the quality of character and qualifications in caregiving for those spending time with my kids, than focusing on whether they take antidepressants. Frankly, as others have indicated, i have no idea how the subject would even come up. Lots of things I'd ask (do you know CPR? Do you have unsecured guns? etc) - "do you take antidepressants? " not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting