Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 06:17 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Actually a persons medical background is your business if they are watching your child. What if they have severe diabetes and go into a diabetic coma when watching them? I can give a thousand examples, but someone who is taking depression meds or anti-anxiety meds obviously are taking them because they can't handle stress or daily life to some extent.

Why mental illness continues to have such stigma. I wish people would not make judgments on things that they don't understand. But such is the nature of humanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 10:58 AM

1,183 posts, read 708,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
So simple, it is a simplistic treatise of depression over the entire course of one's life.

Oh - you'd prefer a 250 page dissertation? I'll get on it.
You've gone from "weird" (due to a miscomprehension issue I'm guessing in view of the other posters who clearly understood) to a trite critique of it being simplistic. Without actually saying anything of substance.

Defensive, but not very knowledgeable. Simply having depression does not make one a guru on depression, other than your personal one. Even then, self-knowledge requires critical work, its not simply a given.

You haven't really got anything to add so I'll not bother responding to you further.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:23 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
Oh - you'd prefer a 250 page dissertation? I'll get on it.
You've gone from "weird" (due to a miscomprehension issue I'm guessing in view of the other posters who clearly understood) to a trite critique of it being simplistic. Without actually saying anything of substance.
No not really. I would venture the explanation you gave was basically useless because it is too much to be relevant to the discussion but too little to explain the realities of depression. But no worries.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:21 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
This begs the question...if depression is such a deal breaker, why didn't you ask about it during the interview process?
Good question for another thread.
THIS thread is asking if you would hire someone (who ADMITS before hand that they are suffering from and battling depression) to watch your young children.....NOT whether people ask or don't ask about it.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:32 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:
What is "mental" depression? Does it differ from something else like "physical" depression?
Here's the difference................

https://www.cchrint.org/2017/10/10/a...chiatric-drug/

It's meaningful when it comes to caring for young children.
I'm not saying everyone taking medication has psychotic breaks...but some do...and for THAT very reason many people would be very leery to hire you as a babysitter...it doesn't matter if you accept that or not (or think it's unfair)...it's the way it is.

Last edited by purehuman; 01-07-2019 at 08:40 AM..

Old 01-07-2019, 09:19 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:
Why mental illness continues to have such stigma. I wish people would not make judgments on things that they don't understand. But such is the nature of humanity.
Are you kidding? Mental illness is VERY serious! And how would you know if I understand it or not? My father had it, so I think I understand it just fine, but thanks for commenting. I stand by my post.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:23 PM

2,530 posts, read 1,862,895 times
As long as the person is responsible and isn't violent then yeah why not? Some of y'all who say no could have depression yourselves and not even know it. Having depression doesn't make you a bad person.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:09 AM

1,065 posts, read 597,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
As long as the person is responsible and isn't violent then yeah why not? Some of y'all who say no could have depression yourselves and not even know it. Having depression doesn't make you a bad person.
The dilemma is that if a potential care-giver is suffering, this means they're not managing their condition (in this case, depression) which is a red flag for how they'd manage a child.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:10 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,091,516 times
In general, I don't have a high opinion of people who take those expensive, addictive and poorly understood placebos.

I think my decision will depend on the age of my kids and the type of care I would be looking for. If I were looking for someone to spend considerable time with my 2 year old daughter then no way in hell. I would not trust such a care to anyone who is medicated.

But if we were looking for someone to baby sit occasionally so that my wife and I can go out at night? Especially since we can put our daughter to bed at 7:30 pm and the baby sitter would be left with our 7.5 year old son. As long as the person seems normal and have at lest one reference we would probably be OK.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:10 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,084,380 times
Okay, here goes nothing...

I would absolutely not KNOWINGLY hire a person ‘battling depression’ any more than i would hire someone ‘battling’ alcoholism and drug abuse, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, anxiety, PTSD or virtually any other mental illness badly enough to need medication.

Seriously? Why is this an argument? Is there some shortage of babysitters that do not have mood disorders and/or mental illness?

Medications used to treat this disorder are no failsafe and have serious implications some of which are failing to work and worsening symptoms in some people. How would I assess the effectiveness of the meds they are on? Why would I take on that responsibility?

Equating babysitting to parenting is ludicrous. The kids with a depressive or otherwise mentally ill parent have no choice in the matter. The person hiring a sitter does.

I don’t know how one would come upon that information to begin with but, why some seem confused about why that’s a resounding negative on a child minder’s resume is a mystery to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting