Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 02:32 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
This thread is terrifying in its ignorance. The reality is that a child is FAR more likely to be harmed by a male friend/relative/coach than by a woman who acknowledges she has and is treating her depression.
Statistics about relative dangers are irrelevant to this discussion. A child is FAR more likely to be harmed in a car accident than by a male relative. So how does that help someone pick a nanny?

I never hired a babysitter or nanny for my three children. No day care, either. But if I had had to do either, I think I would have relied heavily on recommendations from trusted friends and my personal impressions from meeting and interviewing the person. I am sure it would not have occurred to me to ask if someone was on medication for anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 02:42 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,555,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Statistics about relative dangers are irrelevant to this discussion. A child is FAR more likely to be harmed in a car accident than by a male relative. So how does that help someone pick a nanny?

Do cars take care of children? No, nannies or friends and relatives do. Comprende?

Quote:
I never hired a babysitter or nanny for my three children. No day care, either. But if I had had to do either, I think I would have relied heavily on recommendations from trusted friends and my personal impressions from meeting and interviewing the person. I am sure it would not have occurred to me to ask if someone was on medication for anything.

I agree with this.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:42 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,332,782 times
This is ridiculous, talk about an overreaction.

What about parents who take anti-depressants? Also, short of them disclosing it, you can't ask about their mental health history during an interview.

If anything I'd rather have a person with mental illness who is on medication, recieveing treatment and in control of it instead of someone with untreated mental illness.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:25 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,537,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
That is interesting. How many potential babysitters or nannies have you actually asked to look in their medicine cabinet or for a list of their medications before hiring them? And what were their reactions to your request?

And, if they are teenage date-night babysitters do you ask their parents permission before you ask them about their medical history?

What about your sisters & brothers & your parents, and your spouse's sisters & brothers & parents have you asked them for a list of their medications? Or do you not allow your children to stay with their aunts, uncles and grandparents?
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the things I could tell you...

Old 05-27-2016, 03:47 PM

569 posts, read 551,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Had this conversation with my wife (and a few friends) recently. I dont think I am out of bounds in saying "ABSOLUETLY NO WAY!!!".

Two ladies I know offered their services to us but both are open about their battle with depression and having been prescribed i depression meds. Both seem to be nice, but I cannot ever see under any circumstances to hire, even for a few hours someone who takes anti depression (prozac, zoloft, celexa, ritalin, etc.) pills.

Would any of you hire someone like this to care for your child(ren) 10 years old and under?
Of course not. The child caring was traditionally the wife's job: not a female job; don't mix them together. And the guy observes his wife quietly, and give the necessary pullings to the children. But since the female has things more important than their children todays, then why be natural? But of course not, I don't think I would hire an unstable sitter. I would probably rather leave a household pet to them.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:51 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
How would all of you know that the person was depressed? Especially if she was on meds, her mood would be stable. Do you think you'd just be able to tell?

Old 05-27-2016, 04:36 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,912,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Never.

Period.

I see hiring a babysitter or nanny like looking for a wife. I want to see her medicine cabinet first. If I see meds for depression, anxiety, bi-polar... it's over.

I realize that is a harsh thing to say...
It is also not believable.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:38 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,912,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Never.

Period.

I see hiring a babysitter or nanny like looking for a wife. I want to see her medicine cabinet first. If I see meds for depression, anxiety, bi-polar... it's over.

I realize that is a harsh thing to say...
It is also not believable.

The whole attitude in the thread here makes me glad I'm not a child. My parents would not have gone out for 12 years. Well, maybe not for 30 years because they would not have let me out of their sight until I was married.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:39 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Do cars take care of children? No, nannies or friends and relatives do. Comprende?
Thanks, I "comprehend" very well. I think you missed my point. The OP was not asking whether it was safer to let a woman watch your children than a man. The question was whether the person had depression. Bringing the fact that males are statistically more likely to harm children than women is no more relevant to that discussion than whether cars are more likely to harm children.

Actually, I would rather have my brother or father-in-law watch my children than a woman I don't know well, but apparently that is the wrong attitude.

Old 05-27-2016, 06:16 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,555,831 times
Quote:
Thanks, I "comprehend" very well. I think you missed my point. The OP was not asking whether it was safer to let a woman watch your children than a man. The question was whether the person had depression. Bringing the fact that males are statistically more likely to harm children than women is no more relevant to that discussion than whether cars are more likely to harm children.

Actually, I would rather have my brother or father-in-law watch my children than a woman I don't know well, but apparently that is the wrong attitude.

It has nothing to do with attitude, and everything to do with facts and statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting