Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 09:24 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,605,680 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I am going to visit some close friends next weekend who had a baby boy a few months ago. We are all in our later 20's and they are a very international family. She is French, he is Greek, and they live in London. I want to get them some sort of gift, but I'm pretty bad at these things. It doesn't need to be a baby-specific gift, I don't want to just get them some cheezy baby outfit or item that he will soon grow out of, but at the same time, I want to get them something that they can use and truly appreciate. Cost is not such a big factor. Young parents, what is something you would appreciate that no one has really thought to give you? Any creative ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 09:29 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Since clothing has been ruled out....
Books, diapers, pack and play, high chair.... To name a few.

Not sure how nationality factors in.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:59 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,135 times
Hmmmm... things that last a long time and are really appreciated, cost not an issue...

Prepaid portrait plans are awesome, the kind where you prepay for a sitting at 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, and 12 months. Those pictures will be treasured forever.

If they haven't already filled up the kid's room with furniture, good sturdy high quality children's furniture last a long time and are very useful.

Monthly delivery type things last a while and are fun, such as a baby book monthly delivery.

Since they are in London, things that help with easy mobility are great - baby carriers (mom or dad can wear baby) and high quality strollers that fit through doorways and into trunks and can be opened and closed with one hand.

Are they musical? You could get them an instrument that the child could eventually learn to play, like child sized guitar or drums, or if you are really willing to splurge, a piano. Piano lessons for children are wonderful for stimulating and growing a healthy brain, but pianos are expensive.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Not sure how nationality factors in.
Might be some culture specific things that I don't know about?

Old 06-03-2016, 10:23 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I know you said no clothes, but those things have always been welcome for our kids. And not random fancy one-time use clothes. Like nice everyday clothes.

Other stuff...

Ipad with protective case

Bath toys like bath crayons and squirty animals

Books

Old 06-03-2016, 10:42 AM

241 posts, read 543,178 times
I have a very specific (though not long term) suggestion: a Winkel Rattle. This thing is ridiculously well designed for babies. It is light and small so that they can use it early on (many rattles require a fair amount of strength to pick up). It has many different angles to grab onto so that a baby learning to pick things up will have an easy time of it and they can learn to grab things with both hands. It won't be useful for a few months, but every time I give it, I hear back after a while about how much the baby loves it. It was my son's favorite toy as a baby and is currently the top rated teether on Amazon with almost 2,500 reviews... It is cheap so you could add it on top of something that is more geared towards the parents.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:41 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
I think you should buy an heirloom gift. Yes, it's impractical and that's what makes it so lovely. I suggest a baby rattle (not meant to be used by baby) or perhaps an infant bracelet (again, not to be worn by baby). Perhaps sterling silver?

Here's a link Shop Baby Gifts | Tiffany & Co.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:57 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
IPads and pianos for babies? The day they show up on a registry I check is the day I check out altogether. Tiffany makes many items to impress adults, but are highly impractical for children. Porcelain dish sets, sterling baby cups, etc, never get used, they get displayed.

I love the thought of a book-of-the-month club. Does one exist?

Old 06-03-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

I love the thought of a book-of-the-month club. Does one exist?
Love that idea.. any other subscription based ideas out there?

Old 06-03-2016, 02:07 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
Love that idea.. any other subscription based ideas out there?
Here you go:
10 Kid-Friendly Subscription Boxes Parents Will Love

Not all are suitable for babies, but a few are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting