Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 10:14 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

6 months probation for 3 felony convictions of sexual assault? This is unbelievable. Every man and woman should read this but especially every parent sending a kid to college should make this required reading before they leave home.

The fact that this kid only accepts responsibility for drinking too much and NOT for sexual assault tells a great deal about his character and lack thereof. And how do defense attorneys sleep at night? Don't they have kids too?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/katiejmbake...Lxn#.hsAba449N
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 11:42 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,803,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
6 months probation for 3 felony convictions of sexual assault? This is unbelievable. Every man and woman should read this but especially every parent sending a kid to college should make this required reading before they leave home.

The fact that this kid only accepts responsibility for drinking too much and NOT for sexual assault tells a great deal about his character and lack thereof. And how do defense attorneys sleep at night? Don't they have kids too?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/katiejmbake...Lxn#.hsAba449N
Sorry - if the only thing that stands between a college-bound kid and committing sexual assault is some letter, both parents and kid have some serious problems.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:49 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
geez--I never said that. And by the way the advice is aimed at girls as well as boys.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:16 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,180,528 times
I could not finish it.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:22 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
It is an extremely powerful letter and a must-read for college-aged kids.

NK you really should put a trigger warning in your OP.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:04 PM

There was a side conversation on another board about not having to teach sons not to be rapists. But... who are these kids who are doing this with amazing regularity? They seem like normal kids on the outside. Is drinking too much the cause of what would otherwise be decent judgement? Not recognizing that the woman you are dragging behind the dumpster is out cold? But... does drinking allow you to do what you would not otherwise do? Like want to have sex with an unconscious person? When they wake up the next morning and realize that they dumped a woman behind a dumpster, what do they feel? I am guessing not, yah I scored last night. I'm guessing shame? I have a hard time reading the reports, so I don't know.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:19 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Is drinking too much the cause of what would otherwise be decent judgement?
NO. I've been around plenty of drunk guys, and none of them raped me. It's not a matter of "Oops, I was drunk and one thing led to another."

I don't agree that this is a must-read for college kids. Most don't have the perspective with which to appreciate and learn from the many technical details and emotions it contains.

Schools are covering this topic. One of my older sons just attended orientation last week at a major state university, and every kid there was put into a session - without parents present - about making choices on campus, alcohol, drugs, sex and consent.

It is becoming well-covered territory. The situation with this particular case is more about a problem with the legal system than campus culture.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:22 PM

So... what is it? In this day and age, how are some boys still learning that girls are just .... things?

Old 06-05-2016, 01:31 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
So... what is it? In this day and age, how are some boys still learning that girls are just .... things?

Apparently, you haven't been reading the posts in the relationship forum from the guys in the Bitter Boys' Club who are resentful and angry and think they are owed sex by women.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:39 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Apparently, you haven't been reading the posts in the relationship forum from the guys in the Bitter Boys' Club who are resentful and angry and think they are owed sex by women.
Yep. It's the same thing that's ALWAYS made rapists do what they do. It's not anything new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting