Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 12:38 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,872 times

Advertisements

Am I wrong in thinking that the point here isn't why parents are feeding their overweight children fast food.....the point is don't we parents know that fast food is unhealthy and a bad habit, so why do we do it???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 12:41 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,398,261 times
We don't eat meat, but if we did I definitely wouldn't go to those greasy food chains. With all the meat being recalled I wouldn't chance feeding it to my kid...ew. Recently, my ds has been refusing to eat his veggies, so I bought a book called "Decietfully Delicious", it shows you how to puree all your veggies and hide them in your kiddos food. It's really quite clever. So now when my ds wants mac & cheese, but not his veggies, I just throw in a couple spoonfuls of pureed carrots and cauliflower. We do smoothies everyday, and I add to the fruit, a few spoonfuls of spinach, which you can't taste.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:51 PM

932 posts, read 1,273,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
Am I wrong in thinking that the point here isn't why parents are feeding their overweight children fast food.....the point is don't we parents know that fast food is unhealthy and a bad habit, so why do we do it???
I don't think if you do it on occasion that its bad. Not everyday, of course, but as a treat once or twice a month? I don't see an issue with that. PLus, now you can get apples instead of fries and milk instead of soda.

NOw, I have known people who give it to their kids EVERY day, which is just crazy! And weren't even choosing the apples!

to each his own, I guess.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:53 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times
As a middle school teacher, the problem with allowing kids to eat junk food as a reward or a treat or whatever is that, when they get to middle and high school, the hot lunches are really "fast food" and then you are allowing them to have it on a daily basis.

My middle school has Domino's pizza at lunch every single day and I know plenty of students that have two pieces of it for lunch, along with a jumbo size chocolate muffin. It is disgusting. Even the kids that bring lunches either trade them, or toss them, and use their spending money to buy the junk.

I say if you never introduce it on a regular basis, they will be less likely to eat it.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:00 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
As a middle school teacher, the problem with allowing kids to eat junk food as a reward or a treat or whatever is that, when they get to middle and high school, the hot lunches are really "fast food" and then you are allowing them to have it on a daily basis.

My middle school has Domino's pizza at lunch every single day and I know plenty of students that have two pieces of it for lunch, along with a jumbo size chocolate muffin. It is disgusting. Even the kids that bring lunches either trade them, or toss them, and use their spending money to buy the junk.

I say if you never introduce it on a regular basis, they will be less likely to eat it.
Yeah, I agree. My kids didn't know McD's served food until they were in grade school (thought they were indoor playgrounds!).

I also don't think it should be a "treat". That is, I think it's okay to go once a month or so...but don't label it a "treat"! It isn't something "special"!

I have a problem with schools serving fast food. Call me a conspiritorist, but I think that those chains are in schools to secure brand-loyalty from young people. And soda??? Are you kidding me?? Sure kids who drink it will bring it, or drink it whenever else they want. But us adults offering it to them at school??? (can you tell, I think Fast Food Nation should be required reading-the book, not the movie!)

Old 02-19-2008, 01:00 PM

932 posts, read 1,273,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post

Our schools don't have that (fast foods). Even soda machines are banned! Which is good.

I don't know if you never introduce it that they'll be less likely to eat it- I'd like to see statistics on that one. It could go the other way as well. Or, since its not 'new' and 'forbidden' they could not care.

My daughter almost always takes lunch from home, but sometimes shell get the school lunch- and when she does she almost always chooses salad. which i think is kind of cool. Last week she took salad from home almost everyday.

go figure! lol

we stress the importance of eating healthy, and sweets and fries and 'fun' foods in moderation. and for us it has worked well. we don't 'forbid' anything ( I think it makes it all the more tempting- kind of like when youre on a diet-you may never want a slice of chocolate cake, but as soon as you're told you 'can't ' have one....it sureeeee looks good! ) lol

Old 02-19-2008, 03:12 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
I used to work with a woman who was an overweight single mom with a very overweight 6 year old daughter. She told me that her mother never taught her to cook, so she just didn't know how - never touched the stove or oven and used the microwave just for popcorn. The only food she bought was chips, soda, cookies - junk/snack food, and for dinner, she always stopped for fast food on her way home from work and picking up her daughter. I had neighbors in California the same way - the parents were overweight and their son was too. The mom brought home fast food and giant sodas every day of the week. Either people are becoming too lazy to cook, too ignorant to see what fast food does to them and their children, or they just don't know how to plan a meal and cook. Either way, it's sad.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:14 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I used to work with a woman who was an overweight single mom with a very overweight 6 year old daughter. She told me that her mother never taught her to cook, so she just didn't know how - never touched the stove or oven and used the microwave just for popcorn. The only food she bought was chips, soda, cookies - junk/snack food, and for dinner, she always stopped for fast food on her way home from work and picking up her daughter. I had neighbors in California the same way - the parents were overweight and their son was too. The mom brought home fast food and giant sodas every day of the week. Either people are becoming too lazy to cook, too ignorant to see what fast food does to them and their children, or they just don't know how to plan a meal and cook. Either way, it's sad.
If you can read, you can cook. Simple as that.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:22 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
If you can read, you can cook. Simple as that.
I had a roommate in college for a while who literally couldn't boil noodles (for the 49 cent mac & cheese) and I had to explain to him how to use a can opener. People can be pretty dumb, but his mother babied him his entire life and he never learned to do anything domestic other than drink beer and sit in front of the TV. I hope his wife was looking for another kid, rather than a husband

Old 02-19-2008, 07:36 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
Our schools don't have that (fast foods). Even soda machines are banned! Which is good.

I don't know if you never introduce it that they'll be less likely to eat it- I'd like to see statistics on that one. It could go the other way as well. Or, since its not 'new' and 'forbidden' they could not care.

My daughter almost always takes lunch from home, but sometimes shell get the school lunch- and when she does she almost always chooses salad. which i think is kind of cool. Last week she took salad from home almost everyday.

go figure! lol

we stress the importance of eating healthy, and sweets and fries and 'fun' foods in moderation. and for us it has worked well. we don't 'forbid' anything ( I think it makes it all the more tempting- kind of like when youre on a diet-you may never want a slice of chocolate cake, but as soon as you're told you 'can't ' have one....it sureeeee looks good! ) lol
Where do you live? I'm moving to your area so my kid can have healthy lunches!!!
Honestly, I still remember McDonalds, pizza and chicken nuggets I ate in High school. All "enzyme-dead" greasy food! It's sickening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting