Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 01:47 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times

Advertisements

I thought I would share the fun experience DH and I had at the local beach today. It was a sweet slice of life.

We set up our umbrella and chairs on the beach, and noticed that in front of us were 3 young couples who appeared to be Amish. The 3 wives were dressed in dark blue dresses and black bonnets. There were 7 children, between the ages of 4 and 9 mos. All 5 little girls were dressed like their mothers, in long blue dresses and black bonnets.

My first reaction was annoyance, because the fathers were shirtless and wearing swim trunks, and the 2 male toddlers were in shirts and diapers. How come THEY got to be comfortable at the beach and the females did not?

After a short while, the women left the beach to change, and returned wearing modest shorts and tee shirts. They helped the girls out of their dresses and caps, so they had only bathing suit bottoms or underpants on. Good, I thought, they are not hung up on undue modesty. At first, the girls were not comfortable and put their dresses back on. Over time, we watched the 5 girls get more and more brave at the edge of the water. They were having trouble holding up the hems of their dresses and playing in the waves. All around them, the girls had been observing other little girls in bathing suits having fun in the waves, and so after awhile, their mothers helped them remove their dresses and caps again. This time, the girls made a beeline for the water and didn't seem at all self conscious.

The other thing we observed was how these children improvised and made their own fun. The other children around them had tons of brightly colored buckets and shovels, boogie boards and beach balls, etc. These children did not. Their moms gave them whatever they could scrounge up, like 2 halves of a plastic container, and empty juice boxes to play with, and the kids had a ball just using their imaginations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 02:44 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,013,049 times
I've always suspected you are a professional writer. I could really picture the scene while I was reading this. Thanks for sharing.

My favorite toy when swimming was an empty bottle of dishwasher liquid with the squeeze spout. Hours of fun.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:56 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Aw.... how nice! Thanks for sharing that!

Old 06-23-2016, 07:14 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
What a wonderful story!

Old 06-23-2016, 08:07 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,583,267 times
You made me smile and remember my childhood at the beach. Thanks!

Old 06-24-2016, 10:35 AM

838 posts, read 555,633 times
We can really learn a lot from the Amish.

Great story and thank you for sharing!

Old 06-24-2016, 11:12 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
I enjoyed this story. Thanks! I always wonder how hard it must be to be children in cultures that are separate from the rest of society, but they seem to be just..children.

I live about five miles from the ocean and go to the beach a lot. The town where I go is a summer destination for a Syrian Orthodox Jewish community. As you probably know, the Orthodox women must cover their elbows and knees and up to their neck. Well, the little girls have the cutest swim dresses that fit the rules, and there they are playing in the waves like all the other kids, having a ball.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:54 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I enjoyed this story. Thanks! I always wonder how hard it must be to be children in cultures that are separate from the rest of society, but they seem to be just..children.

I live about five miles from the ocean and go to the beach a lot. The town where I go is a summer destination for a Syrian Orthodox Jewish community. As you probably know, the Orthodox women must cover their elbows and knees and up to their neck. Well, the little girls have the cutest swim dresses that fit the rules, and there they are playing in the waves like all the other kids, having a ball.
I had the feeling, I don't know, but I think it must have been day one of a vacation for them, so they were kind of feeling their way as to what was comfortable. The shorts and shirts the mothers wore were obvious men's clothing, and the children didn't have bathing suits, so it looked as though they didn't plan to shed their traditional clothing at first, but then were comfortable enough to do so. Others at the beach were not staring or making them uncomfortable, so I was glad about that.

This was on Tybee Island in Georgia.

Old 06-24-2016, 04:09 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I had the feeling, I don't know, but I think it must have been day one of a vacation for them, so they were kind of feeling their way as to what was comfortable. The shorts and shirts the mothers wore were obvious men's clothing, and the children didn't have bathing suits, so it looked as though they didn't plan to shed their traditional clothing at first, but then were comfortable enough to do so. Others at the beach were not staring or making them uncomfortable, so I was glad about that.

This was on Tybee Island in Georgia.
Amish are very thrifty. And inventive. They don't go out and buy something for short-term use. Sounds like they came up with something that worked for them and allowed them to enjoy the day. Thanks for sharing.

And thanks for noting where you were. I was curious about that.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:56 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,394,970 times
Lovely story! Thanks for sharing. If you aren't a professional writer, you might give it a shot. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting