Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 05:34 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,229,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
No, she only skipped step 2. And honestly, I don't blame her. Let the chips fall where they may with the administration, but maybe this jerk will think twice about putting his hands on a girl again.
Ditto. I'll be proud if my daughter has the confidence to stand up to harassment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 05:39 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,360,890 times
I feel badly for your daughter...and I don't agree with zero tolerance when it limits self-defense. He DID touch your daughter which legally is wrong.

This feels like a huge injustice now, and it is, but your daughter did the right thing and the guy is a jerk/baby/a-hole who was taught a lesson. As long as your daughter's "record" won't impact college apps, etc. just stand by her and continue to try to get the other kid suspended too. But don't pursue for too long - it's not worth it in the end.

And I agree that 2 punches means nothing - it was part of the same act - like a guy would stop at one punch if a guy grabbed at his behind? Oh, well that would be different...right.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:53 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,749,660 times
I say in this case it should be a wash and neither student should be punished. He grabbed her butt, which is considered minor sexual battery nowadays(not sure I agree with that, but there it is). She responded by karate kicking him in the nose. He was punished appropriately for his transgression. He should have learned from it and running to the principle was a punk move. His teammates should give him grief over that.

Now that the authorities have gotten involved though, it is wrong that they are not taking his butt grab into consideration when deciding who should be punished and how much. If the punk boy is going to up the ante, OP and her daughter should as well. Threaten to file sexual battery charges against the student, and some sort of charges against the school for fostering an enviroment where sexual battery goes unpunished. If they balk and reverse the suspension, take it no further. If not, make good on your threats.

Or, take the punishment but praise your daughter privately. Let her know you'll always support her when she's defending herself even if the school reacts irrationally to the situation. That's how I reacted when my son got in trouble for defending himself against a bully, but he was much younger than your daughter.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:59 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,185,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydeen View Post
That is the thing she did immediately went and told her teacher but the boy went straight to the principles office, like a huge coward, and told them she attacked him for no reason.

Also how was she not in the right hitting him for what he did? If some random guy grabbed some female MMA/boxing fighters rear on the street I am pretty sure he would get punched yet I would think most would consider that appropriate.
I actually DO endorse violence in self defense. As a last resort when there is no other recourse. Your daughter had other recourse.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:04 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,697,779 times
My big question is, why haven't you filed charges against the boy for touching her behind ? That is far worse, IMO, than what she did. I would be sitting in the police station right now, filling out forms. I hope she had witnesses.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:06 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times
I think it could be argued that a large girl who is trained in martial arts, punching someone in the face twice, is guilty of using too much force.
Of course, the boy was guilty too, but if she had just slapped him, it might have been treated differently.
I bet the kid won't be touching her again.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:14 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,578,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydeen View Post
I am SO angry! It's really great I found a parenting forum because I need it. Why is it kids that defend themselves no matter how justifiable get in trouble?? My daughter who is 16 was walking to one of her classes when a boy started heckling her, when she told him to scram (what she said was worse, my daughter isn't afraid to stand up for herself) he grabbed her rear!

Now lots of other girls would be in shock or so surprised they just take it and tell a teacher but not my daughter. She immediately turned around, punched him in the face two times. Now my daughter is 5'10, takes martial arts and even lifts weights as well as other physically demanding things so she can hit pretty hard!

Well before even my daughter could tell what happened the boy (who is part of the football team no less) went straight to the principal so I get a call at work and immediately go up there. And my daughter is there and so is the boy with his mother and he is CRYING and bleeding from his nose! She got him good but was acting like the victim. The principal told me my daughter was suspended for five days and the whole "violence is never acceptable" speech despite HIM grabbing my daughter!

Even the boys mother was giving me real dirty looks. My daughter explained her case and it was obviously self-defense but that didn't seem to matter. Not that I want my daughter to use violence but in that case it was certainly justified.

I took my daughter home and said she was in the right and she wouldn't be in trouble at home.

But again, while I don't advocate violence I am proud of her, proud of her for not just taking it and turning this football player into a cry baby

I still find it absurd my daughter was suspended. I hate this zero tolerance or zero brain approach schools have.
First of all kudos to your daughter. This is all too common an occurrence in school and it sounds like she gave someone a much needed lesson. Secondly, I doubt your daughter wants anything more than for this to blow over so I would just stand behind her and tell her she did the right thing serve the suspension, do her work at home and go back to school.

Although you could press assault charges against the boy that would probably not be productive for anyone involved. I would also point out that things in schools rarely go down the way the kids tell them so there some chance you are not getting the whole picture.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:37 AM

676 posts, read 725,633 times
Your daughter did the right thing. Growing up I was always big and was messed with by a few unlucky souls every year. That is untill I beat them bloody. I learned early that just telling a teacher will go no where fast. Its always "I didn't see it I can't do anything about it".

Violance is the only way to keep Someone from messing with you in school. Kids are relentless especially when they know the school isn't going to step in. A good thing too, this kid is most likely going to be harassed by his buddies now about how he got beat up by a girl, so a double win there. It may not be PC to say she did the correct thing but in reality he and other guys will think twice when it comes to touching your daughter.

Old 06-09-2016, 06:56 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,229,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo8414 View Post
Your daughter did the right thing. Growing up I was always big and was messed with by a few unlucky souls every year. That is untill I beat them bloody. I learned early that just telling a teacher will go no where fast. Its always "I didn't see it I can't do anything about it".

Violance is the only way to keep Someone from messing with you in school. Kids are relentless especially when they know the school isn't going to step in. A good thing too, this kid is most likely going to be harassed by his buddies now about how he got beat up by a girl, so a double win there. It may not be PC to say she did the correct thing but in reality he and other guys will think twice when it comes to touching your daughter.
Yup. And instigators are clever enough to know that if they taunt another child until they snap, they get to play the victim after the fact.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:00 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,946,266 times
Sorry folks. NO ONE has the right to butt grab any girl. Its attempted sexual assault. Charges should be filed on the boy by the girl and her parents. I am glad she was strong enough to teach him the lesson
he needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting