Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 10:13 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydeen View Post
Question: If some guy grabbed Ronda Rousey's rear/breast/crotch and she turned around and pummeled the guy would you be saying she was in the wrong? Far as I am concerned when a man hits or inappropriately touches a woman there is nothing she could do to him that should be considered excessive force.
Well it isnt true. A woman is allowed to defend herself to a degree. But excessive force is a real thing. Should she have been allowed to kill him for her grabbing her butt?

Where are you located?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 10:20 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,864,026 times
Quote:
I don't know what happened to the boy but I can try to find out, though would they tell me?

I agree with you that sexually touching someone is very wrong yet many here are acting like she hit him for just tapping her shoulder.
The school probably won't tell you, but your daughter should know through grapevine whether he actually got suspended.

You should also call the football coach and complain about the boy's conduct. I knew several old school coaches who would frown on this as it goes against their conduct agreement.

But... School's about to be out, I can understand your daughter wanting this to be done. But just because they won't bother her anymore doesn't mean another girl will be safe.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:25 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Quote:
Question: If some guy grabbed Ronda Rousey's rear/breast/crotch and she turned around and pummeled the guy would you be saying she was in the wrong? Far as I am concerned when a man hits or inappropriately touches a woman there is nothing she could do to him that should be considered excessive force.
If somebody gropes a celebrity (I had to look that one up, never heard of her before) and she reacts with force, she's less likely to face criminal charges than an average person would be.

Your child doesn't have fame to protect her. She has to try to stay within the rules or laws so she doesn't find herself arrested for assault.

Unless the incident is on video, there's no proof that her butt was grabbed. There's no hand print left on her butt cheek. So it's her word against his. And there's probably visual evidence on the guy's face that she punched him. His parents probably called the police and are filing charges for assault. You can hope not, but it could happen. All he has to do is say that he didn't do anything to her, she asked why he was looking at her in an aggressive manner, then punched him a couple of times, and he thinks maybe she did it so she could look tough to her friends. Then when she mentions the butt, it sounds like she's making it up to try to get out of trouble. He did what bullies are great at, ran and told on her first so that his story would be the one they believed.

As far as nothing a woman could do to a man being considered excessive force, let's say I'm walking down the street and a guy squeezes my butt. I pull my concealed handgun and I shoot him. Would that still be acceptable to you? It would certainly be unacceptable to the authorities here and I would, justifiably so, go to jail. So no, the idea that a woman is entitled to react with whatever force she can if she's inappropriately touched is false, and it's a dangerous thing to teach your daughter.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:31 AM

634 posts, read 708,332 times
If my daughter did this, I would not be surprised because this is exactly what I plan to teach my daughter. If someone physically assaults you, defend yourself. I have been witness to many instances where a female student has told the administration and it was just a she said/ he said and nothing happened to the male student.

This isn't a case of taking matters into your own hands. This is a case of a natural reaction of self preservation.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:33 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,106,572 times
Anybody else just glad that that punk kid ended up with a bloody nose?

Old 06-09-2016, 10:38 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
OP

Your daughter now has a suspension on her school record and a great big red T by her name for troublemaker. She will be watched from here on out for future troublemaking The boys transgression will be minimized and forgotten, even if he too has a suspension.

And I am not certain that his buddies won't support him by squeezing her bottom once, one at a time. She made them all look bad. They may find a new target but they aren't going to stop and the heat will be on her not them

I have been through this.

IMO now would be a good time to make a teaching point or two. (1) She fought well with her hands. Now add to that ability how to fight with her brain. Reason out options she might have if faced with a similar situation. Role play (2) As trained in martial arts, she has special obligations to contain her response and have the mental discipline to go with her physical prowess.

Good luck. No one should be touched like that and the good news is that next time she will know more about handling things in today's society

Old 06-09-2016, 10:38 AM

7 posts, read 9,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
If somebody gropes a celebrity (I had to look that one up, never heard of her before) and she reacts with force, she's less likely to face criminal charges than an average person would be.

Your child doesn't have fame to protect her. She has to try to stay within the rules or laws so she doesn't find herself arrested for assault.

Unless the incident is on video, there's no proof that her butt was grabbed. There's no hand print left on her butt cheek. So it's her word against his. And there's probably visual evidence on the guy's face that she punched him. His parents probably called the police and are filing charges for assault. You can hope not, but it could happen. All he has to do is say that he didn't do anything to her, she asked why he was looking at her in an aggressive manner, then punched him a couple of times, and he thinks maybe she did it so she could look tough to her friends. Then when she mentions the butt, it sounds like she's making it up to try to get out of trouble. He did what bullies are great at, ran and told on her first so that his story would be the one they believed.

As far as nothing a woman could do to a man being considered excessive force, let's say I'm walking down the street and a guy squeezes my butt. I pull my concealed handgun and I shoot him. Would that still be acceptable to you? It would certainly be unacceptable to the authorities here and I would, justifiably so, go to jail. So no, the idea that a woman is entitled to react with whatever force she can if she's inappropriately touched is false, and it's a dangerous thing to teach your daughter.
Well first off I find it surprising you have never heard of Ronda Rousey. She is not really a celeb but a UFC fighter.

Anyway I am upset because every day thousands of women in the United States alone are raped/abused/assaulted by men and very little is ever done about it. But when my daughter is all the burden of proof is on her. Imagine how many men would choose not to assault women if they knew death was a high possiblility.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:41 AM

38 posts, read 31,018 times
Quote:

I still find it absurd my daughter was suspended. I hate this zero tolerance or zero brain approach schools have.
Well, I can assure you, that he'll be laughed at for awhile...And the other guys will not be too eager to engage her...

Old 06-09-2016, 10:53 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
My DD did something similar though with less force. A boy was pestering her. She told him repeatedly to stop. He also grabbed her. She performed some BJJ maneuver. A couple of weeks later, another boy was giving her a hard time. The first boy walked by and said, don't mess with her!

Old 06-09-2016, 11:12 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,233,552 times
Not that it's any consolation, but this boy (on the football team no less -- would love to be hear the locker room chatter) will be taunted probably for the rest of high school for getting beat up by a girl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting