Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2016, 11:57 PM

2 posts, read 6,383 times

Advertisements

I know from the topic it sounds horrible, but it is true. I am 24 and have been married two years to a wonderful man. To be quite honest I really would prefer a boy. It may sound really cliche but to be quite honest I really am not very "girly' or are really into typical girl things and it bothers me knowing I am having a girl. I grew up with two sisters who were very annoying and frankly can't stand so it's not as if I don't know what it is like growing up with girls considering they are both younger and I helped raise them.

I also realize the gender is out of my control and it was a possibility but I really hoped it was a boy, and when I recently found out I was having a girl I admit I cried. My husband says he would have preferred a boy as well but we can still have a good time raising a girl which I am sure he is right, but it doesn't really help me. Again, I know it sounds horrible, but I can't help how I feel.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 12:19 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,009,398 times
Not only sound horrible indeed it is horrible. And not only that you make your child inside of you also miserable with your disappointed feelings. Before I got pregnant I loved boys but I thank god for giving me a girl who is growing in to a young girl today.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:29 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
Once you have the baby, you will love her and you won't be able to imagine why you wished for a different baby.

When you're pregnant, it can make you a lot more emotional than you would usually be, and that might make you cry at the wrong times.

Also, you've been fantasizing about what your baby will be like. It sounds like you were imagining a darling little boy. Now that you know you're having a girl, you feel like that darling little boy, the baby of your imagination, is dead. It feels like a loss even though it isn't really a loss. You'll adjust. We all do. The perfect child for you is the one that you have, not the one that you think you're wishing for.

Besides, this is your first child. You're young. You will be able to have another child later on if you feel like your family would be more complete with a second child, and you might get a boy that time.

My sister was hoping for a girl because she loves dressing up dolls and costumes and girls toys. She's been crazy about my girls forever. She has a little boy who just turned one today...and guess what, she's so totally in love with being his mom that she can't remember ever wishing for a girl.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:52 AM

2 posts, read 6,383 times
I understand what you are saying. It's just I worry about getting a "girly girl". I don't know much at all about fashion, or even makeup really. And I worry she will be one of those kind of girls. Not to even mention all the crazy emotions to deal with in her teen years. Boys are a lot easier to handle and far less problems.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:02 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,009,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtobe24 View Post
I understand what you are saying. It's just I worry about getting a "girly girl". I don't know much at all about fashion, or even makeup really. And I worry she will be one of those kind of girls. Not to even mention all the crazy emotions to deal with in her teen years. Boys are a lot easier to handle and far less problems.
you think boys are easier than girls with what?. There is no gender for the problems in teen ages. Girl or the boy no difference when it comes to trouble.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:50 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,662,895 times
The perfect baby for you is the one you are going to have. Girly girl or tomboy it's not going to matter to you. You will love this baby and come to realize that a greater power knew exactly the right child for you and your husband. You do need to quit grieving this imaginary boy child you have built up in your mind, he wasn't real, your daughter is. I don't know where you got the idea that boys are easier then girls because they're not. Raising a child of either sex isn't easy, annoying emotional teenagers come in either sex. Helping with your sisters is going to be nothing like raising your own child, it's a completely different level of emotion and caring. Good Luck on the great journey you are about to begin.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:59 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,180,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtobe24 View Post
I have two girls (8 and 5) and I was a big tomboy all the way up until college. My 8 year old is a bit of a tomboy, but my 5 year old is very "girly". I love the differences between she and I (and her sister). And yes, initially, I hoped for boys because I thought it would be hard for me to relate to girls, but that's not really been the case for us. The only thing she misses out on by having a Mom like me is that I can't do her hair very well. The most I can manage is a ponytail. I suppose if stuff like that is important to her, she will learn it on her own, but I am happy to buy her dresses, shoes and dress up clothes, even if it's not something that I have in common with her.

And as far as girls or boys being "harder" than the other, both have rewards and challenges. It's something you learn to roll with.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:52 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,947,837 times
Here I sit, Mother of five, all boys. No, I didn't keep having children hoping to get a girl. I truly didn't care what I got as long as it was a healthy happy baby. For the most part, I got what I expected. (Back then, we didn't have U/S to tell us the sex in utero. You found out boy/girl when the doctor brought forth the infant from your womb.)

No, I don't think it's horrible that you have this feeling. And don't let anyone tell you not to feel it. Just prepare yourself to be a good Mom to this child. AS for the teen years, don't kid yourself. While the problems may differ, they are still problems. Boys get acne and broken hearts and suffer rejection from a crush and Lord help him if he doesn't excel in athletics.

I have a granddaughter who is a "girly-girl". But on Thanksgiving when her Dad and her sister have the annual Turkey Bowl football game, she's down and dirty on the field; has been since she was four. She likes to ride her bike and her scooter. She swims like a fish. She likes dresses but not to the exclusion of jeans and shorts when appropriate. She loves her Barbies and her American Girl dolls but they don't define her.

I've heard people say that "you'll love it no matter what it is" but I can't attest to that because I never had a girl. I can only tell you that I was never disappointed that all my kids were boys. Each one was as different as could be but they were all great kids. So, too, will your daughter be.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:57 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,811,449 times
How ridiculous. Grow up and stop crying. You don't have to raise her to be girly, that'll come from within her.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:10 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,322 times
More proof people under 30 really shouldn't be reproducing? If the child's gender is bringing you to tears, how do you plan on tackling the hard stuff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting