Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 10:31 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times

Advertisements

stay out of her persona; business, if she needs to confide in you she will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 11:27 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
When I was a sophomore in college my mother came at me in a rage waving around a pill container she "found" in my purse. "What in the hell is this? You have no business taking birth control pills. Is that what I'm wasting my money on sending you to college?"

I let her go on and on and then calmly took it from her hand and told her it was a saccharin tablet dispenser. These few minutes changed the whole dynamic of our relationship. Yes it was 1966 and things have changed but betrayed trust is hard to recapture.

Stay out of her room if you want to maintain a good relationship with your daughter. She has a life of her own if you like it or not.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:36 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
Devastated is a drama word. Bring that down to concerned, and further down yet to trusting she is old enough to take care of herself. Herpes in all forms are treatable even cold sores.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:59 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
If you can trust that she would confide in you if she was actually in danger, or seriously ill, then allow her privacy for anything less.

I take Valacyclovir daily, and may have to for the rest of my life. Somehow I got an eye infection traced to one of the herpes viruses. As I've been happily married for 35 years, I'm pretty sure it didn't arrive via sexual transmission.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:21 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a3593 View Post
And I guess I am devastated because before she went off to college I gave her condoms. I've always stressed to her how important safe sex it's. Apparently she didn't listen. I know that this drug can be used to treat other things, but I really don't think that that is the case. She would have mentioned it to me if it was something innocent.
Those "Condoms" only protect from pregnancy, not skin contact. So she used the condoms, but the skin contact was the agent that they can't protect against.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:58 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
Excellent! You must be a great mom because you have raised a now 19yr old kid who knows how to advocate for her own health care!

I think that "just got punched in the stomach" feeling is more because this is a medical problem within the context of being sexually active.

Not a fun subject for any parent to consider for their child (anymore than it is for kids to consider for their parents!) but she is over 18 & it's her turn to make mistakes & be resourceful enough to manage them.

It's so hard; sometimes toddlers are easier than teenagers!

Old 06-23-2016, 01:10 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Excellent! You must be a great mom because you have raised a now 19yr old kid who knows how to advocate for her own health care!

I think that "just got punched in the stomach" feeling is more because this is a medical problem within the context of being sexually active.

Not a fun subject for any parent to consider for their child (anymore than it is for kids to consider for their parents!) but she is over 18 & it's her turn to make mistakes & be resourceful enough to manage them.

It's so hard; sometimes toddlers are easier than teenagers!
Amen to that. My parents realized I was a sharp enough kid to find my own answers (I was a big reader and learned most of it that way, and did not attempt to hide my reading materials from my parents when a younger teen). My mom was a pretty keen observer and seemed satisfied I'd mostly stay out of trouble. She was right. OP's daughter might have had worse luck than I did. Oh well.

I'm not a parent, but I'm currently watching best friend's daughter make questionable choices (not quite "bad") and younger son who just completed Freshman year at WSU make what appears to be "wiser" choices. So far anyway. He can't run their lives and I watch it tear at his heart just a bit. Must happen to all parents with more than a little thoughtfulness in their veins.

I was no saint as kid, but smart and (to some extent) wise enough to keep clear of major life trouble. If it does happen, parents cope. That's just the way of it.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:18 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Medically speaking:

When a household member is on medication, its good to know ( be aware). Should there be a re-action or a reason for them to be sent to the hospital,you would be able to convey to the medical team what drugs she is currently prescribed. Nothing wrong in being informed. That is the nice thing about medical- they don't judge the person, they heal the condition.

Sorry folks, I side with the subject being broached and doing so from a concerned family member stance.

Also, consider this an opportunity to address the tidiness of the room.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:26 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
If you can trust that she would confide in you if she was actually in danger, or seriously ill, then allow her privacy for anything less.

I take Valacyclovir daily, and may have to for the rest of my life. Somehow I got an eye infection traced to one of the herpes viruses. As I've been happily married for 35 years, I'm pretty sure it didn't arrive via sexual transmission.
My first boyfriend had herpes virus in the eyes from a young age and was almost 100% blind. I'm happy there is a medication that hopefully spare you that.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking that would be a DEFINITE "rule in" for a parent to know about.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:46 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Also used to treat cold sores. If it was something that innocent, why would she mention it at all???
Which is herpes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting