Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 09:29 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
It blows my mind why so many people choose it as a destination! Just read the terrible descriptions just in this post! My husband and I were so relieved when we offered to take our 4 and 6 year olds for spring break this year and they said they'd rather go to NYC, which they LOVED.
We took our 6/7 year olds last year but we didn't go for a week. We only had two days (we did something else with them before Disney and something else after) and the kids loved it. We went from 12-7 the first day and 10-5 the next day. They of course had their moments but that goes for any place you go on vacation with kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 09:30 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Well, the OP did NOT say they were going to Disney. She said they were planning a "Disney type vacation." So there's no need for any Disney hate here or Disney comparisons or anything to do with Disney, actually.

For what it's worth, I grew up and still live within spittin' distance of Disneyland and have been there many, many, many times. But not ever for more than one day at a time, and would never do so. Just not appealing to me at all. But I can also understand that while it's easy for me to take my kids to Disneyland, spend a few hours there and then go home, others travel long distances and want to make the most of their few days in the area. And I assume the same goes for any destination in which there are a variety of amusements.

But even so, four to five days of theme parks in a row, in the summer, with another family and kids in tow, would have me refusing to leave my hotel room by the morning of the third day--and I'm healthy and fit. It's kind of hard for me to believe that the 5 year old will be exhausted but everyone else will feel just great and raring to go. I think the whole idea is crazy, but if someone wants to do it and a stroller will make it the slightest bit easier, then they should absolutely take one.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:32 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
I don't know - we had a good time at Disney. Maybe it's because I let my kids sit in the stroller! haha

Old 06-24-2016, 09:38 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
We took our 6/7 year olds last year but we didn't go for a week. We only had two days (we did something else with them before Disney and something else after) and the kids loved it. We went from 12-7 the first day and 10-5 the next day. They of course had their moments but that goes for any place you go on vacation with kids.

Just the amount of planning and coordination required is enough to scare me off. Add in the crowds of crying kids and over exhausted parents mixed with the heat and humidity standing in line for hours and I'm just fine choosing almost anywhere else on earth. Oh, and the insane admission price plus lodging on-site with the feeling of needing to get one's money's worth because it may be a once in a lifetime trip.

This thread is an example of the stress a visit to DW/DL can cause. (No personal judgment OP, it just shows the amount of planning required!)

To each their own. I'm glad others can enjoy it.

But back to the point, piggyback rides are easier than carrying .

Old 06-24-2016, 09:41 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
No, but I would like something that can easily be hauled on our trip.
They have those cloth sided fold up wagons. I've seen them at Sam's for about $50.
I think taking something like this would be handy, you could put snacks, picnic blanket, carry souvenirs whatever. Kids get tired, and cranky, you could pull wagon over in shade and all rest.
https://www.google.com/search?q=clot...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 06-24-2016, 10:13 AM

2,451 posts, read 3,212,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
They have those cloth sided fold up wagons. I've seen them at Sam's for about $50.
I think taking something like this would be handy, you could put snacks, picnic blanket, carry souvenirs whatever. Kids get tired, and cranky, you could pull wagon over in shade and all rest.
https://www.google.com/search?q=clot...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Most of the wagons like that are not designed for hauling children. It may just be lawyer speak because they don't have seat belts, but ours has a pretty flimsy base. It's great for hauling stuff to the soccer field, but I don't think it would stand up to having the weight of larger children standing in it.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:20 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Her friend has a kid almost the same age and they're using a stroller. Apparently he's considerably bigger, so why doesn't she just ask them?

In asking what would we do the OP is courting opinions.
I did ask her and she said buy a stroller because it is way easier. But she also has the means to buy whatever she wants, without considering the cost. Her stroller is probably a $500 one if I know her.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Is the trip FOR his enjoyment? At least in part, I'm guessing? Then move at a pace that is reasonable for him...taking needed breaks. It sounds like you may be trying to get your "money's worth" by cramming in a lot, or at least more than you anticipate HE is able to handle. What is the point of that?
I hear you but I have a teenager also. I am always teetering between two vastly different age groups.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Then, personally, I would cross that bridge when I get there.

He might be absolutely fine. Especially if you show him you expect him to "be big." And, heck, most people need breaks at amusement parks--that's when we do meals, snacks, shows, just sitting in the shade for a while.

And if you decide he needs to ride for a bit, the you rent a stroller for a day to two. Less hassle, and likely less expense than buying one to lug on your trip.
I am on a limited budget and renting at $30 a day is outrageous to me. I bought one that will hopefully fit him for $57 plus tax.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I think for me the biggest concern is not the idea of a stroller (although I agree that most able bodied 5-6 year olds will walk just fine) but the lack of considering the need for some downtime. Yes, the teenager may want to keep moving - so let her and meet up later. The feeling that everyone must be constantly powering through, with no break is a lot to expect, and as others have mentioned not necessarily fun for everyone. Particularly a young child.
I do not let me teenager go off alone in crowds. She is a young teen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting