Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 01:26 PM

3 posts, read 4,559 times

Advertisements

**Posting this in parenting as the issue may be a parenting issue (advice from parents warranted), not so much a renters issue. And calling CPS is no easy thing to do at a whim when you're not sure..

A good friend of mine is going through a horrible situation in their apartment. And we are in debate as to whether or not to contact CPS, due to the things heard/seen/known.

My friend has been in his apartment for about 10 years. Has had a bunch of people come and go of all different types, to different number of people. This one really tops it all.

His apartment is a small, efficiency NO bedroom apartment. The apartment next door is equally the same, but even smaller.

Currently, there are 3 adults, 2 kids (5 & 6 year old), and 2 dogs in the apartment next to him. The landlord apparently is aware of 2 adults and 2 kids, not the other adult or dogs (another tenant complained about the dogs, LL stated the dogs would be gone that day, yet they remain).

The size of the apartment and the number of people isn't what has him or us worrying about the kids. Everyday my friend hears the kids being hit & then hearing them cry. He hears the other neighbors constantly telling the kids they are going to beat their ***. And then continue to do. The hit is hard enough that my friend can hear the slap, as have I when I was over visiting them. And it is constant, not a couple times a day but from the time they seem to wake up, and until they go to sleep.

The apartment size is small which does yield some concern as the kids are in the place practically 24/7, there is a huge fenced-in yard upon the property, and a kids park a couple blocks away. Yet, the kids are stuck inside all the time running around then getting yelled at & hit for being active. One parent works, the other doesn't.

The parents were recently busted by another neighbor/tenant for smoking weed on their deck while yelling & hitting their kids to get the point to not come outside.

In another disturbing, common occurrence, the parents have sex in the apartment while the kids are awake, and running around. And like with anything else that happens, they stop & get up to yell at the kids & hit them for being in their "space".

I have stayed with my friend for a couple of days as I live a few hours away, and was out visiting and have heard a good deal of this. The building houses 5 tenants, 4 of them are holding complaints against these tenants but the LL is doing nothing. They all agree, also, that they feel bad for the kids involved but nothing is getting done. My friend, as I am myself, are wavering on making a call to CPS. We both know times can be tough and people can go through things but this is really topping it. The kids cry all the time and it's not a normal kid's cry, it's wailing and in pain type of cry.

The parents are equally not getting along with each other as there is constant fighting between the two of them. The 3rd adult in the home seems to be the "girlfriend" of the kid's dad. And she stays there while the kid's mom does as well. It's a really messed up situation and we all just wonder and care about the kids.

Asking those with kids or at least those used to being around kids, would you call CPS if you were another tenant, or would you just keep to yourself? I, myself, am about ready to call, but wanted to hear from other people first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 01:32 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,948,053 times
Call CPS whether you are a tenant or not. This is not a situation in which tenant's rights or peace and quiet is at stake. This is a situation where kids' lives may be at risk. You don't have to judge how bad the situation is or isn't. That is the job of CPS. Please call and let them do their job.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:32 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,334,257 times
Soooo...you're aware of a situation where kids are at the very least being abused and exposed to illegal (depending on where you live) drugs. Why would you not call CPS?

Old 06-30-2016, 01:34 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,710,543 times
Someone needs to call CPS now. There are so many things wrong with this picture. Being in a tough spot does not give you license to hit your child multiple times a day.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:37 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,543,352 times
OP, it sounds like you have a kind heart, and it sounds like you really care about what's happening.

However, it's not your apartment, and your complaint won't have as much "weight" as the tenant, depending on where you're located. Some places have better CPS divisions than others!

Your friend needs to contact CPS and explain what is going on. You can be a witness. If your friend is unwilling to do that, there's not much you can do.

Your friend may or may not be willing to call because if CPS does find a problem and includes the LL, then both your friend and the other family might end up being evicted. Some LLs find ways to get rid of complainers.

In any case, it sounds like a horrible situation.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:42 PM

3 posts, read 4,559 times
Thank you so much for the responses. As it has convinced my friend to go ahead and make the call necessary.

He understands it may result in eviction but so be it.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:46 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,160,638 times
Kids deserve better than being yelled at 24/7, and hit for being kids. CPS is there to enter the situation and protect the kids. If it worries anyone that they'll figure out who called, it looks like there is a long list of possibles. But I would call and report them in this case. That is strictly confidencial. I'm sure some report with the only basis that a family is 'different', and shouldn't, but as you and many others have heard the abuse someone needs to walk into the middle of it and say stop.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:49 PM

6,870 posts, read 7,814,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
OP, it sounds like you have a kind heart, and it sounds like you really care about what's happening.

However, it's not your apartment, and your complaint won't have as much "weight" as the tenant, depending on where you're located. Some places have better CPS divisions than others!

Your friend needs to contact CPS and explain what is going on. You can be a witness. If your friend is unwilling to do that, there's not much you can do.

Your friend may or may not be willing to call because if CPS does find a problem and includes the LL, then both your friend and the other family might end up being evicted. Some LLs find ways to get rid of complainers.

In any case, it sounds like a horrible situation.
Call. You don't need to be the neighbor for your complaint to have 'weight'.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:55 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,710,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg1117 View Post
Thank you so much for the responses. As it has convinced my friend to go ahead and make the call necessary.

He understands it may result in eviction but so be it.
Glad to see this. He's doing the right thing.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:59 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,743,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg1117 View Post
Everyday my friend hears the kids being hit & then hearing them cry. He hears the other neighbors constantly telling the kids they are going to beat their ***. And then continue to do. The hit is hard enough that my friend can hear the slap, as have I when I was over visiting them. And it is constant, not a couple times a day but from the time they seem to wake up, and until they go to sleep.

The parents were recently busted by another neighbor/tenant for smoking weed on their deck while yelling & hitting their kids to get the point to not come outside.

This is not parents trying to do their best, and occasionally getting frustrated. This is druggies beating their kids on a regular basis.

Yes call please. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting