Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2016, 10:05 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayoverpass View Post
never did it for mine. I just couldn't bring myself to attach the same thing to my kid that I attach to my Labrador. my brood is all grown up now
That's cool. Do you also not brush your kids hair or let them eat from bowls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 11:09 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayoverpass View Post
never did it for mine. I just couldn't bring myself to attach the same thing to my kid that I attach to my Labrador. my brood is all grown up now
I see where you went wrong.You weren't supposed to buy your child's harness at Petsmart.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:13 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I do think harnessed kids are trip hazards for the rest of us as the parents give harnessed kids way too much lead.
How do you survive going to parks? Most dog leashes are longer and lower then a child's harness. Are you just tripping over dogs constantly?

Old 07-05-2016, 03:16 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,345 times
I don't know, my 3rd was an absolute terror, darter, didn't listen, fearless explorer etc. I went through hell with her. It was very hard to get her to behave correctly but I did it without needing a leash. Parenting is hard and requires commitment and consistency. She had to learn how to listen. That process starts when they start moving. She is now 3 and has significantly improved. So, it can be done with a willful child without resorting to a leash. I know one size parenting doesn't fit all. If you dont gave the fortitude to be strong and consistent and give in easily or just can't be bothered then you will be in for a long ride throughout life.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:04 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Reins or harnesses were a safety measure... and like me if you had three babies all under four, it was a great thing to use... and needed badly.. I cant see a thing wrong with them at all.. would the harness haters also say no to a child seat with straps in a car..

Old 07-05-2016, 05:57 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Reins or harnesses were a safety measure... and like me if you had three babies all under four, it was a great thing to use... and needed badly.. I cant see a thing wrong with them at all.. would the harness haters also say no to a child seat with straps in a car..
Do you need to ask? You just need to be firm and consistent. If your child doesn't stay in place in their car seat at all times while you concentrate on driving you're not beating them often enough. Same goes for strollers, I'd bet.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:03 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Unfortunately this is so true today.

My dil isn't against them, just afraid if she used in certain places she would be getting the stares, cringes or worse yet comments from people, you know the ones, they don't know you but have to comment loud enough for you to hear.

Different parenting styles for different people.

I think it's ridiculous to see a 2 year old still with a pacifier in their mouth, yet I see it all the time. I never used them but realize many people do for whatever reason.

Interesting thoughts and comments that managed to stay civil
Read some more threads on here. She's going to be getting rude comments and judgement for perfect parenting. There are a class of person who needs to feel superior to others and who hates children and who combines those into being awful to parents no matter what they do. More than one person has declared children who cry on planes should be beaten until they stop crying. Another thread was about how awful people are when they keep their kids quiet in restaurants with a phone or ipad. And just this week people were opining on how if children were beaten properly they would never wake up from a nap and play quietly in their room.

There are mean, vindictive, ignorant people everywhere. Your son and DIL should just do what's right for their family, and only concern themselves with being polite and kind. Haters are gonna hate no matter what.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:09 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Do you need to ask? You just need to be firm and consistent. If your child doesn't stay in place in their car seat at all times while you concentrate on driving you're not beating them often enough. Same goes for strollers, I'd bet.
If you need to beat your children to get them to listen then you are no better than the leashers.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:27 AM

4 posts, read 2,414 times
I use a cute backpack harness for my 3 year old. He's happy to have his supplies in his froggy pack back and I hold the leash attached to my arm. It's not a big deal and I'm more concerned with my kid not bolting than with anyone's opinion.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:33 AM

4 posts, read 2,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post

Hopefully(for you and your kid) you wree joking. Otherwise, you sound very demented and need professional help. What kind of a monster would hit a baby or toddler(in a car sit)? First off, if the child is correctly secured, there is no way for a child to not stay in place in a car seat. So what if they move their hands, as long as they are secure?

But anyway, I'll just continue thinking that you made some type of sick joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting