Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 02:16 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times

Advertisements

My son is like this and it drives me crazy. The starving him won't work! We went on a cruise and the kid barely ate for four days. I sent him on a mission trip and he barely ate for a week.

Anyway, don't worry if he is eating the same thing every day. You have to figure out what he'll eat and send him with that. If he will eat a PB & J everyday, that's his lunch!

My son is now 16, his food choices have expanded some. We try and force him to eat new foods and it's impossible. Definitely try OT specifically for food depending on how old your son is. I wish I had done this when mine was younger. I have meet several people that have had huge success with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 02:21 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
My youngest never ate traditional lunch foods. Fruit, cream cheese and bagel (the mini bagels were perfect), pepperoni, cheese, crackers, carrots, cold pizza...

(And for the record--- I don't eat traditional lunches either-- I am not a picky eater I just don't care to eat sandwiches.)

Old 07-06-2016, 03:30 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
So do you of you have kids who don't like "traditional lunch food". Basically cold foods. He wont eat deli meat. Only crab salad sandwich and I don't want to send that in a lunch box. Not knowing if the temp will keep long enough.

He has basically had PB&J for (school) lunch for the last 3 years. He wont eat school food at ALL. He also wants left over dinner but its not possible for them to heat it up.

Well camp doesn't allow peanuts and I don't know what to feed him.

Any suggestions?
When I see a picky eater I see a kid whose parents did not teach them to eat what is served regardless whether they like it or not. Proper nutrition is what parents give their kids on their plates and if they don't like broccoli for example but they will when you prepare it with some homemade cheese sauce or seasoning.

One person out of 17 in our family does not like onions so onions are left out of the meal whether the other 16 would have enjoyed the meal more with onions. It is the beginning of a discipline problem that he will have trouble with later in life. Just because I like dessert better than the meal, I will still choose to eat the meal knowing that my body requires it to live.

A friend of mine who is 65 is very picky, will only eat chicken breast meat and no other meat or fish. We both live in a seniors center and take our meals in the communal dining room. Her nutrition suffers because the meal choices are not to her liking even though we get the choice between two entrees She has a heart condition, diabetes, renal failure, and is an amputee. She is not getting enough nutrition from the foods she is eating or should I say not eating so in the past 7 months she has been hospitalized twice.

If your kid is trained/hungry enough he will eat what is put in his lunch bag and on his dinner plate.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:24 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Sounds like one of mine; I always say "Thank heaven he's my youngest, because I'm all out of fight!" But, I was (and still am) a picky eater, so I don't make a big deal about it... except I never got into the trap of offering "kid foods" (chicken nuggets, hot dogs, mac & cheese, Lunchables) just to get him to eat.

Does anyone remember those Richard Simmons "Deal-A-Meal" cards? I made something like that for him, color-coded by food groups, with each card listing healthy foods he likes. Veggie cards have raw veggie choices; fruit cards have the few fruits he likes; protein cards have beans, sliced chicken, tuna salad, tofu cubes, cheese cubes; grain cards have whole wheat breadsticks, crackers, cold pasta. He picks one card from each group, and I pack it up in a Bento box (so none of the food is touching, natch'). Same situation with dinner: if by chance he doesn't like what I am serving, he gets out his cards and constructs his meal himself.

Old 07-06-2016, 04:40 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
When I see a picky eater I see a kid whose parents did not teach them to eat what is served regardless whether they like it or not.

Cheese sauce isn't magic.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:32 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Does anyone remember those Richard Simmons "Deal-A-Meal" cards? I made something like that for him, color-coded by food groups, with each card listing healthy foods he likes. Veggie cards have raw veggie choices; fruit cards have the few fruits he likes; protein cards have beans, sliced chicken, tuna salad, tofu cubes, cheese cubes; grain cards have whole wheat breadsticks, crackers, cold pasta. He picks one card from each group, and I pack it up in a Bento box (so none of the food is touching, natch'). Same situation with dinner: if by chance he doesn't like what I am serving, he gets out his cards and constructs his meal himself.
What a wonderfully clever approach!

Old 07-06-2016, 06:22 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Moderator cut: reminder

Here is the OP. Keep in mind that this is not a chattroom where anything goes. Thank you

Quote:
So do you of you have kids who don't like "traditional lunch food". Basically cold foods. He wont eat deli meat. Only crab salad sandwich and I don't want to send that in a lunch box. Not knowing if the temp will keep long enough.

He has basically had PB&J for (school) lunch for the last 3 years. He wont eat school food at ALL. He also wants left over dinner but its not possible for them to heat it up.

Well camp doesn't allow peanuts and I don't know what to feed him.

Any suggestions?

Old 07-06-2016, 06:28 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
Mine has peanut butter every day too, and does not like the substitutes. When nuts are banned I've just sent whatever he will like. Fruit, carrot and celery sticks, yogurt (but that's not very appetizing in the heat!). You can make up the protein at other meals - for kids every single meal doesn't have to be perfectly balanced. Just look at their meals for the week and try to balance it overall. I know the crab salad would definitely have to be cold. But is he picky about temperature of other things? My son loves tofu burgers and he wouldn't care if it couldn't be reheated.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:30 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
My daughter used to like a bagel veggie sandwich. Bagels with cream cheese and veggies like sprouts, cucumbers, peppers, onion....She ate those for years.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:31 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
When I see a picky eater I see a kid whose parents did not teach them to eat what is served regardless whether they like it or not. Proper nutrition is what parents give their kids on their plates and if they don't like broccoli for example but they will when you prepare it with some homemade cheese sauce or seasoning.

One person out of 17 in our family does not like onions so onions are left out of the meal whether the other 16 would have enjoyed the meal more with onions. It is the beginning of a discipline problem that he will have trouble with later in life. Just because I like dessert better than the meal, I will still choose to eat the meal knowing that my body requires it to live.
until you have a child with sensory issues, don't judge parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting