Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 03:25 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Are you ever going to get to your point or are you just going to try to maneuver people into saying politically incorrect things with your leading questions? Do you have a particular reason for arguing in favor of keeping 15 year old girls are scantily clad as possible or is it more of a theoretical ideological stand for you?
Parents have been telling kids (mostly girls) they don't have self-respect when they don't present themselves the way the parents think they should. In the 1920's, it was the parents of the flapper girls. In the 50's it was the girls wearing skirts doing swing dancing and spinning the skirts up so their underwear showed. In the 60's it was mini-skirts. In the 70's it was string bikinis and long hair on the boys.

It has nothing to do with self-respect and everything to do with kids not wanting to be different from their peers and trying to fit in with them. Self-respect comes from inside, not from what someone wears.

These days, the girls wear shorts and swim suits that show their a$$es. My teen daughters do it also. So do my nieces. So do most of their friends. It's no different in terms of pushing the older generations' buttons than what every generation has always done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 03:31 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Parents have been telling kids (mostly girls) they don't have self-respect when they don't present themselves the way the parents think they should. In the 1920's, it was the parents of the flapper girls. In the 50's it was the girls wearing skirts doing swing dancing and spinning the skirts up so their underwear showed. In the 60's it was mini-skirts. In the 70's it was string bikinis and long hair on the boys.

It has nothing to do with self-respect and everything to do with kids not wanting to be different from their peers and trying to fit in with them. Self-respect comes from inside, not from what someone wears.

These days, the girls wear shorts and swim suits that show their a$$es. My teen daughters do it also. So do my nieces. So do most of their friends. It's no different in terms of pushing the older generations' buttons than what every generation has always done.
You don't seem much interested in listening to the experience of people who have been there.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
You should try fostering teen girls and get back to me on this subject.
How can you think your kids they have no self-respect when they pick clothing you don't agree with, but somehow magically develop that self-respect when they start wearing the clothes you pick for them?

I hate to tell you this, but you can't force kids to have self-respect by the clothing choices you force on them. Self-respect comes from a completely different place.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
You don't seem much interested in listening to the experience of people who have been there.
What determines who has "been there"? How does one qualify for that?

Old 07-06-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Nothing for you OP. I just thank my lucky stars that my tween has no interest in fashion or sexiness.
It sounds like you are the one who has not been there.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:40 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:

So that's it, you get defensive because you couldn't stop your own daughters from doing it.

Not all teen girls wear clothes that expose their backsides you know. Perhaps too many do, but not all.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:45 PM

,@somebodynew-
How do you think the current deal with short skirts and shorts is any different than what the previous generations have done in going against the appropriate "fashion sensibility" of the older generations?

Have you ever worn a bikini? If so, following the reasoning here, you must have no self-respect, because the same claims about lacking self-respect and morals were made against girls and women who wore those in the 50's and 60's.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
So that's it, you get defensive because you couldn't stop your own daughters from doing it.

Not all teen girls wear clothes that expose their backsides you know. Perhaps too many do, but not all.
All generations have pushed the limits. The current trend is simply what the current generation does. I have no interest in preventing my daughters from doing what most of their peer group is doing in terms of clothing choices.

I was around in the days of string bikinis. The current deal with showing backsides is nothing compared to that.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:53 PM

@ Uncle Bully-
What do you think the problem is with girls (or boys) wearing "inappropriate" clothing?

Old 07-06-2016, 04:20 PM

491 posts, read 375,711 times
Quote:
Someone who doesn't wear "appropriate" clothing doesn't have self-respect? How does that work?
nobody wants to say it, but when people see someone dressed inappropriately, his/her image goes downhill in a hurry. and don't try to tell me i shouldn't think like that, but that's how it is.. deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting