Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 07:14 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,759,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I would suggest getting one of those contraptions that turns a car seat into a stroller for the airport. It would also make it easier to bring a carseat, which is really necessary and could be used in cars overseas, too, where they are harder to find and sometimes not as safe. Hopefully she has an actual seat for the baby on the plane.
Many, maybe most, cars in Asia are not fitted with any car seat anchors let alone compatible ones with US sold cars. Additionally, a seat for an 18 mo is expensive and not necessary unless you are bringing some sort of car seat. During most international flights if you are traveling alone with an infant or toddler the flight attendant will give you a seat next to an empty one or move you up to first class. This happened on every trip for me 15 years ago and still happens every summer for my best friend and her daughter who go to Malaysia every summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 08:31 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,158,731 times
Yes , she and the baby have only 1 seat. I was surprised a baby older than 1 was allowed to sit in the adult's lap but apparently that is what she has.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:37 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,007,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Many, maybe most, cars in Asia are not fitted with any car seat anchors let alone compatible ones with US sold cars. Additionally, a seat for an 18 mo is expensive and not necessary unless you are bringing some sort of car seat. During most international flights if you are traveling alone with an infant or toddler the flight attendant will give you a seat next to an empty one or move you up to first class. This happened on every trip for me 15 years ago and still happens every summer for my best friend and her daughter who go to Malaysia every summer.
Sorry, but an infant or toddler on a lap is completely unsafe. Deadly, even. Also, in a seat without an appropriate restraint is also deadly. It's risking your child's life to save a few bucks, and not worth it.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:16 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,902,527 times
Quote:
Sorry, but an infant or toddler on a lap is completely unsafe. Deadly, even. Also, in a seat without an appropriate restraint is also deadly. It's risking your child's life to save a few bucks, and not worth it.
Links? Its extremely rare for lap riding infants to die. The ones who do the cause is usually "unknown" (thought of suffocation if the parent falls asleep, which is not common with a child who is 18 months and can move if needed).

New Study Focuses on In-Flight Risk to Infants - WSJ

I can't imagine having a toddler strapped in a car seat for 10+ hours for an international flight.

To the OP, lap sitting is allowed up until 2 years. I never did get a special seat or moved because of a lap sitter, and I flew a lot. It isn't that bad, but I could see if would get very difficult for an extended period.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:23 AM

83 posts, read 127,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Yes , she and the baby have only 1 seat. I was surprised a baby older than 1 was allowed to sit in the adult's lap but apparently that is what she has.
Yikes, sharing a seat with a squirmy 18 mo toddler for those long flights. Hopefully there are empty seats on those flights.

I did kid on lap for domestic flights, but for long international flights to Asia I got him seat as I wanted to make sure he had a seat and not just hoping that there would be empty seat. It seems that flights are getting fuller and fuller these days.

Old 07-09-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Are you talking about keeping a child in a car seat for a 20+ hr plane ride?

Old 07-09-2016, 03:29 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,117,044 times
Quote:
Air travel is already so safe, it's highly unlikely a child would be put at a great risk by not being restrained in a car seat.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:05 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,132,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Quote:
The Pilots associations, FAs Unions/associations, mechanics associations all formally back having a child in a seat of their own and do not agree with lap children.

The only reason the FAA allows lap children is because it is safer to fly than to drive and if they don't allow lap children, it will cause a family to fly.

Most fatalities on survivable crashes have been lap children.

Those of you that think lap children are safe clearly know more than those that fly every day.

Also, the poor person that has to sit next to mom and a lap child for a twenty hour flight.

If you want some scary statistics and first hand experience, look up flyertalk.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
The Pilots associations, FAs Unions/associations, mechanics associations all formally back having a child in a seat of their own and do not agree with lap children.

The only reason the FAA allows lap children is because it is safer to fly than to drive and if they don't allow lap children, it will cause a family to fly.

Most fatalities on survivable crashes have been lap children.

Those of you that think lap children are safe clearly know more than those that fly every day.

Also, the poor person that has to sit next to mom and a lap child for a twenty hour flight.

If you want some scary statistics and first hand experience, look up flyertalk.
But what you're suggesting is keeping a child in a car seat (which is not engineered for plane crashes btw) for 20 hours. That is kind of insane.

And most survivable crashes are not the international flights thousands of miles away from rescue over open ocean.

Seriously, it is almost torture to expect an infant or toddler to be strapped into a car seat for the duration of the types of flights you are talking about.

As for the person next to the screaming toddler strapped into a car seat for 20 hrs is that really better than being next to a child on their parents lap?

Old 07-10-2016, 11:06 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,949,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
But what you're suggesting is keeping a child in a car seat (which is not engineered for plane crashes btw) for 20 hours. That is kind of insane.

And most survivable crashes are not the international flights thousands of miles away from rescue over open ocean.

Seriously, it is almost torture to expect an infant or toddler to be strapped into a car seat for the duration of the types of flights you are talking about.

As for the person next to the screaming toddler strapped into a car seat for 20 hrs is that really better than being next to a child on their parents lap?
Why is it any more comfortable for an adult to use the seat belt than for the child to be restrained in an approved seat that fits him or her? Both child and adult can get up and move around when the seat belt light is off and the attendants say it is ok. Why do you think the child will be screaming in the car seat if s/he is appropriately entertained?

There are car safety restraints approved for airplanes.

Child Safety

Quote:
A CRS is a hard-backed child safety seat that is approved by the government for use in both motor vehicles and aircraft.
There are also harness devices that can be used.

Child Safety

Quote:
The CARES Child Safety Device is the only FAA-approved harness-type restraint for children weighing between 22 and 44 pounds. This type of device provides an alternative to using a hard-backed seat and is approved only for use on aircraft. The CARES Child Safety Device is not approved for use in motor vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting