Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 09:17 AM

932 posts, read 1,273,108 times

Advertisements

This is going to be a little bit of a rant, so excuse me if you will- and it is NOT directed at those who have to work and need daycare (because that's a whole different situation), but rather those who are stay at home moms putting their kids in these types of places.

WHY? Let your kids be kids. Stop worrying about your kiddos 'intellectual' abilities. They learn through good, old fashioned play. You want to stay home with them, then STAY HOME WITH THEM. don't send them to a daycare for the day (or half day). Whats the point of you staying home?

Social Interaction- join a playgroup go to the park or the mall - one of our malls has a baby/toddler play area and theres ALWAYS kids in there!! My best friend has kids right around my sons age, and we get together about once a week and let them have fun! We talk in grown up words and they push cars around the floor. Its a win win situation! lol

Sorry- its just once of my pet peeves. Yes, moms need a break sometimes, I'll be the first in line to admit that, but thats where friends come in and your playtimes. Sometimes I watch my friends kids(3) so she can run errands or have her haircut and sometimes she watches mine so I can do the same!

I have a 22 month old, and I can't IMAGINE sending him to a daycare for ANY reason!

Old 02-18-2008, 09:22 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,869,946 times
I'm a working mom and I've often wondered the same thing. When my son was in daycare (4 years ago), there was a SAHM who had her son in the full time program - same as my son! And he was one of the last to go home everyday! I would speed as fast as I could to get my son b/c I knew he had been there all day but this little boy was rarely gone before my son and I drove 30 minutes to work from there!!!! I don't think many SAHM realize how fortunate they are to be able to stay home with their kids.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:22 AM

394 posts, read 2,002,757 times
What is your definition of daycare? How many half days a week is too many? My kids all went to preschool at the ages of 3 and 4. At 3 they went two mornings a week, and at 4 they went 3 mornings a week. My youngest just turned 4, so he's still in the three year old program and only goes two mornings a week. One day a week he also stays for lunch. We don't send him for his potential "intellectual abilities", we send him so he can socialize and just have some fun. And it also gives me a little break.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustamom View Post
What is your definition of daycare? How many half days a week is too many? My kids all went to preschool at the ages of 3 and 4. At 3 they went two mornings a week, and at 4 they went 3 mornings a week. My youngest just turned 4, so he's still in the three year old program and only goes two mornings a week. One day a week he also stays for lunch. We don't send him for his potential "intellectual abilities", we send him so he can socialize and just have some fun. And it also gives me a little break.
Why not join a playgroup? That way, you get to know the kids and their parents and form a network of possible babysitters for when you need a break or evening out? Plus- its free!

Granted, one or two mornings a week isn't that big of a deal- but its still time that you could spend in a play environment WITH them. Theres nothing better than watching my son and his friends chase each other around the yard or play with cars on the floor!

Old 02-18-2008, 09:32 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,937,498 times
notjustamom...

I'm there with you. How nice for some that they have friends that will take care of their kids for them. We were a military family and those 2 mornings a week were the only 1 on 1 time I had with my younger child. Plus, my son enjoyed preschool. When my younger child was old enough, I let her go too... it was fun for them and I enjoyed the break.

BTW... when your child is 22 mos old, there's a lot you "can't imagine".

One of our best memories is yelling at our then 2 1/2 yo son to "Stop licking that door!", then looking at each other and laughing hysterically. Certainly one for the "List of things I never imagined I'd say"!

BTW, I not only went to a playgroup while my son attended preschool... I ran and organized it. I also volunteered at least once a week... something even now in elementary school VERY few moms do.

Last edited by sskkc; 02-18-2008 at 09:35 AM.. Reason: added

Old 02-18-2008, 09:33 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
This is going to be a little bit of a rant, so excuse me if you will- and it is NOT directed at those who have to work and need daycare (because that's a whole different situation), but rather those who are stay at home moms putting their kids in these types of places.

WHY? Let your kids be kids. Stop worrying about your kiddos 'intellectual' abilities. They learn through good, old fashioned play. You want to stay home with them, then STAY HOME WITH THEM. don't send them to a daycare for the day (or half day). Whats the point of you staying home?

Social Interaction- join a playgroup go to the park or the mall - one of our malls has a baby/toddler play area and theres ALWAYS kids in there!! My best friend has kids right around my sons age, and we get together about once a week and let them have fun! We talk in grown up words and they push cars around the floor. Its a win win situation! lol

Sorry- its just once of my pet peeves. Yes, moms need a break sometimes, I'll be the first in line to admit that, but thats where friends come in and your playtimes. Sometimes I watch my friends kids(3) so she can run errands or have her haircut and sometimes she watches mine so I can do the same!

I have a 22 month old, and I can't IMAGINE sending him to a daycare for ANY reason!

I stay home with my son (3) and I will be sending to him preschool next year. Preschool is to prepare him for kindergarten. It helps the child adjust to having to go to school, sit for extended periods of time, socialize etc... Yes, I will admit that his going to preschool will give me a break. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have friends willing to watch their children for them every time they need to run an errand or go have lunch. I am one of those people. I am with my kids 24hours a day, 7 days a week. Yes I chose to stay home but everyone needs a break sometime even if it is 2hours twice a week. So I am looking forward to next year for the four hours a week I can have a return to sanity.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:47 AM

394 posts, read 2,002,757 times
Quote:
Why not join a playgroup? That way, you get to know the kids and their parents and form a network of possible babysitters for when you need a break or evening out? Plus- its free!
I really have no desire to hang out with other mothers in a playgroup. I did that when my teenagers were babies and toddlers, and found the mothers to be judgemental of others, among other things. And I don't need babysitters, I have my teenagers and their friends.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
IPreschool is to prepare him for kindergarten.
Isn't that the parents job? I certainly viewed it as mine. My 9 year old had no adjustment issues or problems when she started kindy, and was reading above her grade level and could do simple math.

I think its sad that our society has been molded to think that preschools are necessary- when they are not. I see people COMPETING to get their kids in the 'BEST' preschools. WHY? sit down and color with your kids and read to them- kids are smarter than we give them credit for- they are designed to absorb HUGE amounts of information in a relatively short amount of time.

Our kids start school at such a young age- and I hear parents complaining all the time that they grow up too fast- spend every bit of time you can- before its too late! ENJOY them for what they are- bright, ever changing beings who are full of wonder and joy!

I have a picture somewhere of my daughter when she was about 2 lapping water from the dogs water bowl. Instead of yelling (that came after I took the picture! lol) I took a picture. That picture still makes me smile.

I love seeing my son figure out something for the first time-even when its something I wish he HADN'T figured out (opening fridge door, for example!lol)

As stay at home moms and dads, we are SO blessed to be able to witness so much of our kids childhood. And we have SO much time to be able to give them, that a lot of working parents are really envious of.

They grow up so fast. I just really hate to see people losing out on part of their kids childhood for no reason.

say your kiddo goes 3 hours a week for 3 days a week. Thats 9 hours a week, 36 hours a month, thats 432 hours a year.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:54 AM

193 posts, read 786,177 times
I really want to know if preschool is a necessity. I stay home with my two kids, 3 and 2, and absolutely love it. I don't get many breaks at all, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. What kinds of things should I teach my kids before they start kindergarten? Do they need to know how to count to 100 and write their name? Is there anything else?

Old 02-18-2008, 09:54 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,754,224 times
Quote:
Isn't that the parents job? I certainly viewed it as mine. My 9 year old had no adjustment issues or problems when she started kindy, and was reading above her grade level and could do simple math.

I think its sad that our society has been molded to think that preschools are necessary- when they are not. I see people COMPETING to get their kids in the 'BEST' preschools. WHY? sit down and color with your kids and read to them- kids are smarter than we give them credit for- they are designed to absorb HUGE amounts of information in a relatively short amount of time.

Our kids start school at such a young age- and I hear parents complaining all the time that they grow up too fast- spend every bit of time you can- before its too late! ENJOY them for what they are- bright, ever changing beings who are full of wonder and joy!

I have a picture somewhere of my daughter when she was about 2 lapping water from the dogs water bowl. Instead of yelling (that came after I took the picture! lol) I took a picture. That picture still makes me smile.

I love seeing my son figure out something for the first time-even when its something I wish he HADN'T figured out (opening fridge door, for example!lol)

As stay at home moms and dads, we are SO blessed to be able to witness so much of our kids childhood. And we have SO much time to be able to give them, that a lot of working parents are really envious of.

They grow up so fast. I just really hate to see people losing out on part of their kids childhood for no reason.

say your kiddo goes 3 hours a week for 3 days a week. Thats 9 hours a week, 36 hours a month, thats 432 hours a year.
Different parenting styles for different people. Unless the child is being ill-treated, it's nobody's business whether or not the mom or dad needs a few hours break and chooses to allow the kid to socialize with their peers during that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting