Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:53 PM

35 posts, read 268,308 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your submissions. In the last few weeks we have been trying new foods. He LOVES kiwi and bananas. He also likes chicken fingers.

I use a vegtable peeler and peel thin slices of carrots and put them in his grilled cheese of Quesidillas. LOL he just thinks its the cheese.

One good thing about him (there are many) is that he does not like juice. He always only wants water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 05:13 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,263,111 times
At that age, all of my kids just ate whatever we ate - with the exception of a few things they just spit at us

Just keep trying new things, and you'll be fine.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:53 PM

324 posts, read 882,969 times
That is great that you've found a way to hide the vegetables. I babysat for a girl and I used to wrap little veggie pieces in bread. It worked well until she figured out how to take it apart and then refused to eat it! There are also a lot of helpful tips on ParentsConnect.com that could be really helpful with other ideas.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,753 times
I tend a little girl who is almost 16 months old. Her parents still send Stage 2 baby food for her to eat but she won't eat it for me. I personally think she's way too old for it anyway. I've tried Turkey Hot Dogs cut up into small pieces and she will SOMETIMES eat those. I'm running out of ideas! I don't think she eats enough. She still looks little.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,723 times
I do pancakes I just buy the mini frozen pancakes/oatmeal with fruit in it for breakfast.
For lunch/dinner I sometimes do the gerber toddler meals or mac and cheese, cut up ham, sweet potatos cut up, chicken nuggets, peas, carrots, green beans, zucchini, summer squash, pasta salad, grapes cut up, I just buy the gerber already dices apples.
My son does not like eggs, I tried grilled cheese yesterday and he was not having any of that. Maybe I will try again another day. I am gonna try the quesadilla with chicken and chesse idea. I ty to make dinners he can eat too. Like chicken and rice with veggies, or beef and noodles over mashed potatos, Tuna helper, hamburger helper. I think at this age its hit or miss. My son is also going through a throw the food does not like most things I put on his tray stage, but I just keep trying something different. Somedays they will like something then the next day they will decide they don't. be patient and try new things. My son just likes water (and milk) too. No juice and I guess that is a good thing. It's better to start them on just water, I guess you can't miss what you don't have. I hope this helps.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:39 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,007,799 times
By 16 months, my boys were eating whatever i was eating at each meal...including things like steak and sushi.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:38 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,920,807 times
As an old parent and a grandparent, I just want to commend the OP for asking for this info . . .it can be so confusing . . .it is so great to have this resource to help out with any problem under the sun.

I had very picky eaters and would have loved to have had this wisdom at my fingertips (literally).

Old 09-22-2011, 08:20 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Feed him whatever he will eat. Let him sit at the table at supper time, and eat whatever he wants. He is at the age where he doesn't know what he likes, he only knows what his body needs, and he will learn to eat what is good for him. Nothing will do him any harm, and if he chokes, hold him up by the ankles and pat his back firmly.

Just make sure that his choices do not include things that have sugar or salt enhancers, because they will seem attractive to him even without any nutritional value, and become foods of preference.

Remember---he is a member of the animal kingdom, and the most powerful instinct that has evolved in his brain is to put nutrients in his mouth. This is such a powerful instinct, that you can tie his hands together and toss food to him and see how quickly he will learn to catch it in his mouth. Maybe even on the first try.

Go back a thousand generations, and think how many babies born in his ancestors' clan or village carried DNA that died out. He is a survivor.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-22-2011 at 08:34 PM..

Old 09-25-2011, 02:16 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Feed him whatever he will eat. Let him sit at the table at supper time, and eat whatever he wants. He is at the age where he doesn't know what he likes, he only knows what his body needs, and he will learn to eat what is good for him. Nothing will do him any harm, and if he chokes, hold him up by the ankles and pat his back firmly.

Just make sure that his choices do not include things that have sugar or salt enhancers, because they will seem attractive to him even without any nutritional value, and become foods of preference.

Remember---he is a member of the animal kingdom, and the most powerful instinct that has evolved in his brain is to put nutrients in his mouth. This is such a powerful instinct, that you can tie his hands together and toss food to him and see how quickly he will learn to catch it in his mouth. Maybe even on the first try.

Go back a thousand generations, and think how many babies born in his ancestors' clan or village carried DNA that died out. He is a survivor.
This^^
Plus, make sure he's hungry. He should be working up an appetite with vigorous play before lunch and supper. Watch out for added salt and sugar in prepared foods, especially high fructose corn syrup, which is often added as a stabilizer and increased the sugar content unnecessarily. Fresh fruit is a great dessert, although these days you sometimes have to add sugar because it's not allowed to ripen naturally.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:04 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
psssst, this thread is from 2008, so the OP's kid is close to 5 now....:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting