Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 09:33 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,765,638 times

Advertisements

Lolol kids say what we are all thinking. The way you described her, I thought prostitute too. There was a 7 year old I worked with that asked a fellow gay colleague, "are you a girl or a boy?" When visibly male colleague said boy the kid proceeded to say "oh cause you sound like a girl". I mean these kids put it all out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 09:39 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,765,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Of course there are many who claim to be christian. Let's not lump good folks in with the TV commercial evangelist profiteers/frauds, snake handlers and other unfortunate souls. This is the parenting forum not the christian bashing forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeBright View Post
That's definitely how I learned what a prostitute was. Pretty sure it first started with some sort of Sunday school lesson, likely also heard it mentioned in a christian tv program, probably first read it in a blurb in a children's bible stories book.

My point is that it's almost hilarious when people blame everything on specific types of media while ignoring that, in America especially, a huge amount of poor behavior and bigotry is explicitly taught in churches. That stuff carries over into pop culture. A lot of christian denominations have a special obsession with prostitutes, and it's a particularly nasty obsession.
I don't know where you went to church but I'm terribly sorry that you were mislead in it actually thinking it was any sort of Christian church. I've been to several Christian churches and I can't think of more than a few times where a prostitute was mentioned. As for the rest again it sounds like your church was terribly corrupt.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:03 AM

997 posts, read 932,655 times
He probably doesn't know what a prostitute is. He doesn't know the job description, because he is too young to really understand but he knows the outfit. It is unlikely that the father gave him lessons about that and he denies it. That leaves media of some kind. Who even knows, kids do say embarrassing things, but he didn't mean any harm.

It just gets lumped in with the other things you aren't supposed to say out loud about people's appearance. You can say that they are pretty, but you can't say that they are pretty ugly.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:05 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,849,639 times
Also it could have been as simple as him hearing the word and asking his dad what it meant and he tried to give a PG description and talked about clothes.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:33 AM

34,944 posts, read 31,079,407 times
Kids say the darndest things.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:34 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,235,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verymortified View Post
So I have a six year old son whom I share custody with and he obviously has been learning bad things. Yesterday I was out shopping and had him with me. We were in the store and I was just browsing when he sees a woman and says "hey mom look at her" and points I just thought he was fixated on how she looked because she was dressed quite scantily.

She had on a pretty low top, mini skirt, had pink hair, large hoop earrings and acrylic nails. I just said some people dress differently and didn't think much of it. So I go back to browsing and unbeknownst to me she started walking in our direction, and the next thing I hear right behind me is my son saying "are you a prostitute?" I immediately turn around and see her and she obviously not pleased and profusely apologized saying I don't know where he heard that. She put on a very angry face and said "no I am not!" and walked off.

I immediately got out of the store and went straight home and told him to never say anything like that again and asked him where he heard it. He said at dad's. I have been trying to get ahold of my ex husband to talk about this but he hasn't been answering. But I am mortified and want answers.
Now THAT'S funny.

WOW!!!take it easy mom...he's just a lil kid. Too bad if the lady was offended, that's HER problem, and certainly not you nor your sons...nor even the dads
Most intelligent adults would know the old verse "out of the mouth of babes", means exactly that.
It's really quite amusing (I think) that the woman your son asked his innocent question of, even took afront..talk about immature.

She should have asked him why he asked that question...she had the perfect opportunity to correct the childs wrong assumptions but instead she only showed how very immature she was.

You aught to just forgetabout it....don't make a mountain out of a molehill...for your sons sake.

Old 08-15-2016, 03:27 PM

253 posts, read 303,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
I don't know where you went to church but I'm terribly sorry that you were mislead in it actually thinking it was any sort of Christian church. I've been to several Christian churches and I can't think of more than a few times where a prostitute was mentioned. As for the rest again it sounds like your church was terribly corrupt.
I'm not even sure what you're talking about. Prostitution is discussed quite often in the bible, usually in unfavorable light. Most things that are written in the bible will show up in churches.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:54 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,936,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeBright View Post
Reading the bible and/or going to church.
LOL Not sure what church you go to but my Roman Catholic church does not discuss prostitution, especially not in CCD or the children's masses on Sundays. I feel bad for Christians who grow up in negative environments where their pastors or other church leaders or even their religious parents bash certain people or passive aggressively, with a holier than thou attitude, "educate" kids on certain "issues" or topics like homosexuality or prostitution. I guess churches and people like that are what give this religion a bad name. Oh well.

When I was in first grade, one of my good friends (still to this day) asked me if I knew what rape was, then told me. I didn't even know what sex was yet, so when she was like, "it's when someone forces you to have sex," I was like, "what's sex?" I remember being so thoroughly confused. Not sure where she learned what rape is at that age, but kids in school do speak to other kids about this kind of stuff.

(Before anyone suggests or asks, because I know this website by now, no she was not raped or abused at all as a child. Her parents have always just been very open, if even a bit vulgar but in a joking way, people who have not kept much information from her. Her younger brother knew what a vagina was, or at least knew the word, at age 3. They're great people but her mother in particular has a very dirty sense of humor, which is more entertaining than anything).

Old 08-16-2016, 03:33 PM

114,841 posts, read 65,658,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
Prostitute is mentioned in the bible as are many other things. Not sure why I'm quoted. Certainly some may dwell on it more than others.

Last edited by SATX56; 08-16-2016 at 03:49 PM..

Old 08-16-2016, 10:26 PM

253 posts, read 303,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
LOL Not sure what church you go to but my Roman Catholic church does not discuss prostitution, especially not in CCD or the children's masses on Sundays. I feel bad for Christians who grow up in negative environments where their pastors or other church leaders or even their religious parents bash certain people or passive aggressively, with a holier than thou attitude, "educate" kids on certain "issues" or topics like homosexuality or prostitution. I guess churches and people like that are what give this religion a bad name. Oh well.

Well, certainly religion is highly problematic, but that's another discussion. I think the issue here is that you personally have a problem with sex work (among other things, LGBT folks included).

Look, the only thing wrong with prostitutes and prostitution is your feelings about it and the way we treat them. The OP freaked out that her son knew the word for prostitute. My entire point has been that she needs to calm down and stop teaching her son that sex workers are something shameful and disgusting. I also pointed out that kids are as likely to pick up the word from engagement with religion as they are watching something on tv. This is my last post on this topic as I've grown weary of responding to bigotry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting