Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 09:14 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times

Advertisements

So my friend was sharing her latest coparenting concerns with me. Her ex is traveling to 5 different states all the time. He takes their child with him. He has no documented income. She thinks he is doing something illegal.

I suggested she turn him in, but she said to who? Who do you call? She has no proof. But how else is he affording to travel every week.

Her and I have similar crazy exes and when I call things in on my ex, help is not generally forthcoming. No one wants to help. So I don't even know what to suggest.

She is court ordered to send the child with his father for visitation. Judges love to keep dysfunctional parents involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 10:20 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
I wouldn't touch this situation with a 1000 foot pole. So much speculation....

Old 07-26-2016, 10:26 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
This.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
I know. So how do you find the correct information and make sure the child is safe and not being drug along on illegal activities?

Old 07-26-2016, 10:31 AM

Her ex is a piece of work so she didn't come to this conclusion willy nilly. He has already had previous social security fraud. He won't hold a real job for money.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:33 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I know. So how do you find the correct information and make sure the child is safe and not being drug along on illegal activities?
Choose better people to have children with.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Choose better people to have children with.
Well he had a real job and was a productive member of society when she married him and had a child. Then he suffered brain damage and is mentally unstable now.

People change and you can't always know how things will work out. But regardless, that is not the question.

Who can she talk to about her concerns? What can she do to protect the safety of the child?

Old 07-26-2016, 10:40 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Well he had a real job and was a productive member of society when she married him and had a child. Then he suffered brain damage and is mentally unstable now.

People change and you can't always know how things will work out.
How old is the child? Can they provide any insight?

Can lawyer get the above documented and present to court as a valid reason child should not travel with him?

Old 07-26-2016, 10:43 AM

838 posts, read 555,197 times
Is the father paying court ordered child support? Was child support set by the judge using an income calculation? Your friend may be able to "back door" her way into finding out how he supports himself by asking for a child support increase because she suspects he is making more money than when it was first set, he may need to show proof of income.

How old is this child? Old enough to answer questions about what she and daddy do during the day for fun?

Honestly, the only thing your friend can do is hire a private detective to follow him and dig into his finances (bank accounts, tax returns, etc). Calling the police or Department of Family Services without any evidence of illegal activity will just make a custody case stronger for him, not her. She'll sound like she is trying to make trouble (scored woman?) as opposed to her real motivation which is to protect her child.

Sorry your friend is in this position. Even sorrier that this daughter's mother chose a loser to make a baby with.

ETA: Ignore the last sentence. My response cross posted with your re: the brain damage. Sorry he is a LOSER now, tho. But if he has brain damage and fraud convictions, the judge awarding unsupervised visits is either very stupid or does not know the full extent of his medical/criminal history.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:47 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
I suggested she turn him in, but she said to who? Who do you call?
Who you call is dependent upon what is being done.

There is no proof of illegal activity, so there is no one to call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting