Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2016, 05:21 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,385,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I think the expectations that parents always pay for college is a more recent thing.
My parents paid for my sister and me, that was way back in the mid 70's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post

Giving your kids a free ride isn't doing them any favors -- because when they graduate, they'll soon find the real world doesn't work that way. Or, they'll be living in your basement until you pass away or move.
??? I did okay. I never felt my parents were giving me a free ride. Instead I felt they were giving me an opportunity. I never went back home after college.

~~

To the OP---No, it doesn't make them bad parents. I think it is difficult to save for college at times. Babies/children constantly outgrowing their clothes/shoes $$. They get involved in sports $$, braces $$, car insurance $$ the list goes on.

For my sons scholarships saved us. We just had to take out a few college loans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 05:33 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
It is a lot more expensive today. Note, I went to college in the 1960s. My tuition, room and board was $2600 per year and I had a full ride scholarship. I worked to pay for clothes and books. My parents could not have afforded even that amount as my dad was a school janitor and my mom had only a few years of work at a bank.

They started a college fund when I was a baby, but had to use it when my dad lost his factory job and it took him a while to find new work.

For my kids, we started their college accounts when they were babies and had enough saved up for the first year's tuition and room and board, but this was in the 70s, so theirs was around $20k per year for a private university. We kept contributing and their next 3 years were also paid for.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:11 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,704 times
Not EVERY child is intended to go to college.... I never went and a lot of people I know who went to college are still working and thru out the years I have done better than a lot of them.. I am also retired and they are still working....

NOT every job is a college educated job.. As a fact more jobs DO NOT require a college degree than do....

I do not look down on people who do not save.. HELL in the US it is so ridiculous the cost that even if you started saving for your child when they were born you might not have enough....

Old 08-05-2016, 07:52 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Giving your kids a free ride isn't doing them any favors -- because when they graduate, they'll soon find the real world doesn't work that way. Or, they'll be living in your basement until you pass away or move.
I can't understand parents who force their kids to scratch and claw for everything if they don't have to force them. I am glad things worked out for you but I wouldn't make my kids struggle like that unless I had to do so.

I have to strongly disagree with the above statement. We have been fortunate enough to pay for our kids college. Our oldest has a good job, his own apartment and is progressing nicely. Our middle is still in school but he is making the right plans to be independent when he graduates. Our youngest is still in high school.

As a parent of a recent graduate I see that kids who had supportive parents are able to graduate without financial stress and move on with the rest of their lives at age 22. I see young adults with jobs. I see some going to grad/professional school which they can finance because they don't already have a ton of loans. I see some getting married. I know the news media is covering all these kids who fail to launch but I don't see these kids IRL.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:59 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Not EVERY child is intended to go to college.... I never went and a lot of people I know who went to college are still working and thru out the years I have done better than a lot of them.. I am also retired and they are still working....

NOT every job is a college educated job.. As a fact more jobs DO NOT require a college degree than do....

I do not look down on people who do not save.. HELL in the US it is so ridiculous the cost that even if you started saving for your child when they were born you might not have enough....
Our weekly reminder that "college is not for everyone". Yes, we know. Go start your own thread about it if you want to discuss that.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I can't understand parents who force their kids to scratch and claw for everything if they don't have to force them. I am glad things worked out for you but I wouldn't make my kids struggle like that unless I had to do so.

I have to strongly disagree with the above statement. We have been fortunate enough to pay for our kids college. Our oldest has a good job, his own apartment and is progressing nicely. Our middle is still in school but he is making the right plans to be independent when he graduates. Our youngest is still in high school.

As a parent of a recent graduate I see that kids who had supportive parents are able to graduate without financial stress and move on with the rest of their lives at age 22. I see young adults with jobs. I see some going to grad/professional school which they can finance because they don't already have a ton of loans. I see some getting married. I know the news media is covering all these kids who fail to launch but I don't see these kids IRL.
I agree but we seem to be among the few on here. IRL, there seem to be far more of us.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:08 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I agree but we seem to be among the few on here. IRL, there seem to be far more of us.

70% of kids leave college with debt so what we're hearing on CD is consistent with that reality. Those of us who paid full boat are in the minority here on CD and IRL. If I just took my family and friends into consideration it would appear that almost every is able to pay for their kids college. But, when looking at the big picture it's clear that anyone who can and does is in the minority.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
70% of kids leave college with debt so what we're hearing on CD is consistent with that reality. Those of us who paid full boat are in the minority here on CD and IRL. If I just took my family and friends into consideration it would appear that almost every is able to pay for their kids college. But, when looking at the big picture it's clear that anyone who can and does is in the minority.
That 70% leave college with debt does not mean their parents paid NOTHING. The average debt is about $28,000. That barely covers a year of college, R&B, books, living expenses, etc. So perhaps parents are paying 75% or so? Maybe 50% factoring in scholarships.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:50 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Paying in full and paying something are not the same thing. Parents can pay something without paying in full. Parents can also be supportive in ways that do not include paying tuition. I don't necessarily see parents IRL who pay in full but I do see parents who support their kids in obtaining an education.

Average student loan debt was around $38K for class of 2016. Average payment was $350 per month. Since even inexpensive state universities without room/board cost more than $38K per year it appears to me that many students are getting some assistance from their parents. Even those who work are probably getting some assistance with shelter, food, vehicle costs (necessary for commuter students), and other things.

Don't confuse helping with paying in full. I think that those who pay in full are in the minority. I think those who give some help are in the majority.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:38 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Paying in full and paying something are not the same thing. Parents can pay something without paying in full. Parents can also be supportive in ways that do not include paying tuition. I don't necessarily see parents IRL who pay in full but I do see parents who support their kids in obtaining an education.

Average student loan debt was around $38K for class of 2016. Average payment was $350 per month. Since even inexpensive state universities without room/board cost more than $38K per year it appears to me that many students are getting some assistance from their parents. Even those who work are probably getting some assistance with shelter, food, vehicle costs (necessary for commuter students), and other things.

Don't confuse helping with paying in full. I think that those who pay in full are in the minority. I think those who give some help are in the majority.

That's exactly what I said. Even though we and the majority of our family and friends paid in full for their kids college educations, I know those who do are definitely in the minority. Most kids get some sort of loans for school hence the 70% who come out with debt. Not all of those with debt have financed 100% of their educations. Family contributions, scholarships, grants and student income help defray costs for many.

Parents need to do what they believe is best for their kid and their family. Whether that means paying all, part or none really doesn't matter. All those are choices good parents make every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting