Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 10:16 AM

9 posts, read 7,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
Are you a bad role model? Who knows. However, I see some passive aggressive red flags.

1. Any man who refers to women as "female" in the context that you do is automatically suspect. And sadly, stereotypical. And you know exactly what I mean.

2. "'Female' is not what it used to be." WTF does that mean? What, exactly do you expect? Because, the way I'm reading it, a guy with 2 baby mamas ain't exactly husband material. Doesn't sound like you have much respect for women, period. You said it yourself, you "got bored with women after a few months," and this was at least up to 3 years ago. That's not a long time ago.

3. While you might have been "born" into a traditional family structure, if your mom raised you and your siblings with no father, then you did not grow up in a traditional family. I'm confused as to why your family would tisk-tisk about your behavior, as it's not exactly atypical, considering your family structure. I can't help but wonder if some of your anger at their comments isn't because you sense a bit of truth in your "role model" quality.

4. It sounds like you want a cookie for doing the bare minimum- being in your children's lives. I read all of the excuses- I was working, I missed birthdays and holidays, I see the kids on weekends, and you even throw in that you're still in shape and take care of yourself. Everything is about YOU. I've yet to hear anything about what you actually DO WITH YOUR KIDS. You had time for trips. So, have you taken either kid on a trip on one of those weekends? Did they have everything they needed during the week with mom? Do you have a cordial relationship with the mothers?

5. Yes, talk to the oldest, but be prepared for an answer you might not want to hear. If he has the same attitude with women that you have, well, don't be surprised if the cycle perpetuates itself.

6. I realize my post comes off as rather aggressive. It's very difficult to read context, sometimes. It's very possible that you were quite sincere in questioning whether or not you're a good role model and really want to do a good job. Asking if you're a good role model and being one are 2 different things, and I'm not reading anything that says you are. I know men in your predicament, but because I have more than just written words, I can easily see that they're doing the best they can and wouldn't hesitate to call them good fathers, even if they've never been married to the mother. If you're sincere, and I truly hope that you are, there's still time to be a great father!
1. Sorry if I came across as disrespectful to women. It was certainly not my intention.

2. The problems of typing too fast. That sentence doesn't make any sense! I apologise. What I was trying to say is that as I get older, it's only normal to expect less attention from women. I'm not husband material because I never intended to be a husband anyway.

3. What I was trying to say is that even families that originally "structured and traditional" fall apart and the children end up being raised in similar circumstances to my own kids.

4. Yes, there was plenty of weekend trips and summer holidays with the eldest and the same is happenning with the youngest. I take them to the mountains, to a different city, abroad, etc.

And yes they have everything they need. I pay more child support than I'm supposed to and no I don't feel as if I'm doing anything special here. I have a very cordial "working" relationship with both their mothers.

5. I can try that but as I've said, he's very reserved. I doubt he would have a straightforward answer. I've always taught him to be good to others so I guess that includes women.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I think you should have grown up 15 years ago, but if you haven't by now you never will.

No, you are not a good role model for your kids.
What do you mean by that? Would you care to develop why do you think I'm not a good role model?

Old 08-04-2016, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
You don't have to be married to be a good role model.

You only have to show your sons how to be a good man. You know, how to treat other human beings and animals with love and respect.
That's what I try to do. Thank you.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:34 PM

8,000 posts, read 10,380,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattLasse View Post
What do you mean by that? Would you care to develop why do you think I'm not a good role model?
I think he means you should have stopped bed-hopping and fathering babies after the first one.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I think he means you should have stopped bed-hopping and fathering babies after the first one.
Well, things happen. I did a vasectomy after the second one, though.

Still, the eldest was so happy to have a little brother that I can't possibly regret him. They love spending time with each other.

Amazingly, the 15 year old has infinite amounts of patience for his brother, even when he's in one of those teen moods.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:50 AM

922 posts, read 1,106,559 times
Honestly, OP, you sound a lot better than a lot of dad's out there to me. You know why? Because you care enough to wonder if you're doing a good job as a dad. Being a good role model is what YOU make of it- if you believe that being a good role model includes a, b, c and d, then teach that to your kids. Plenty of kids grow up in non-traditional ways and turn out just fine. What makes the difference is having involved parents who care about their children's feelings and futures and take the time to invest in both.

I agree with your stance on not introducing your kids to any of the women you date, as that only brings about confusion. And so what if you don't want to settle down and get married? It's better than getting married because you believe you have to and then being miserable. At least you know who you are and what you want and expect of yourself. Your kids' moms seem to be good ones and you seem to be a good dad so your kids are already ahead of the game there. Being respectful and kind to the the mothers of your kids is huge so keep up with that.

Appreciate your kids and always be involved and willing to teach them. You'll do fine!

Old 08-06-2016, 09:13 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,093,134 times
are the disadvantaged kids? yes.

do you care? no.

move on...

And i'm sure with your 100k+ salary you can save for retirement.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:43 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,658,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
are the disadvantaged kids? Yes.

Do you care? No.

Move on...

And i'm sure with your 100k+ salary you can save for retirement.
wth?

Old 08-08-2016, 07:43 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,429,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattLasse View Post
Neither of their mothers ever married or had a long term relationship in their presence. Both their maternal grandparents are married, though.
If you are a kind person who is trying your best to be a good father. Then you are a good role model.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:36 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,765,888 times
Well you're there for them aren't you? You'd be surprised how many fathers can not even do that. Just to be available speaks volumes. Even families with a married mom and dad, have issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting