Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 08:26 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times

Advertisements

A timely article:

Drunk and underage at UGA? You're risking jail | www.ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 07:55 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
True, it is recruitment season. But she said her daughter is a new member of the sorority.

She wouldn't get a bid until the end of recruitment.
She may have joining mid-year -- some sororities do that . . . but it doesn't really matter. And it may not even be a Greek sorority -- it may be a service sorority that are geared around a particular major, such as Sigma Alpha Iota or Mu Phi Epsilon

Old 08-09-2016, 09:10 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
College students know full well what is involved when rushing and once in the sorority or frat. Even if the school has a "no hazing" policy, you can be almost positive that some very minor hazing, at least, will occur, usually in the form of drinking. Even if she had never been exposed to this type of atmosphere before, she quickly learned and likely heard stories about it once in school. She is not innocent here, and she is as equally at fault as anyone else involved in the situation.

She chose to rush. She chose to drink. She chose to not drop out and think to herself, hey maybe this isn't such a good idea and will not end well. She clearly did not know her limits. I'm glad she's okay, truly because kids have died in these situations, but this is probably somewhat of a learning experience for her on a few accounts.

College students find ways to get alcohol. They find ways to get it even at bars. At 18 and older they are adults and make their own decisions. They hide alcohol even in what are supposed to be dry dorms, they have 21 and older friends buy it for them, or they buy it themselves with a fake. This is just part of the culture of college. No matter how hard the schools try to control it, incidents slip by them. I'd be surprised if the school wasn't penalizing the sorority somehow, though, for this incident.

I don't blame you for blaming the sorority girls, just because they were involved in an incident in which your daughter was hurt and needed medical attention, but your daughter is equally to blame, and in reality the school doesn't hold much blame here. Honestly there is only so much they can control, and their policies are often ignored.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:16 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
All those saying it is a college thing, not a greek thing...I respectfully disagree. In my experience with recent college kids, greek really does bring with it extra binge drinking opportunities and an atmosphere that makes it ok. When my oldest quit his frat he started drinking much less and joined other groups that, while might have a party aspect, did a lot more.

drinking happens a lot in college, but greek life often makes it even more so...esp if they live in the house

But I do fully agree that this is all on the girl in question. No one comes along to college with you to keep an eye on your drinking habits. Its all about making your own decisions. The OP is lucky someone noticed enough to get her to the hospital!!!
Yeah, in my experience those involved in the Greek organizations went the hardest. Of course this is not a rule and there are exceptions, but I do think that atmosphere and mindset is very drinking and party oriented. It's one reason I chose not to join a sorority in school. I was turned off by that atmosphere and their involvement in it.

My closest friend in college was in a sorority and had many horror stories, mostly about other sisters, but one particularly terrible and sad incident happened to her as a result of drinking and the so called "sisters" all being too drunk to look out for each other. Of course she also had good stories and has made some great friends and has great memories, so it's not all bad by any means. But yes the drinking within Greek culture IMHO can be a bit problematic at least from what I have seen.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:24 AM

121 posts, read 74,692 times
I drank like a fish throughout my college years and most of my 20s. I had PLENTY of episodes where I would pass out or probably needed my stomach pumped... Not proud of any of those moments. I did eventually learn. I enjoy a beer on occasion, responsibly, now in my 30s. I stay away from liquor.

That's the sorority/ fraternity culture in college, unfortunately. But it is part of growing up for many young people and while it is scary and dangerous, it is a learning process, much like learning to drive. Hopefully, she will come out the other side much more mature and responsible owing to those experiences.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:41 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larali View Post
That's the sorority/ fraternity culture in college, unfortunately.
No, it's the college culture. There are 100s of schools that don't have Greek Life, but the student body still drinks like fishes.

Heck, you can go further and say it's the culture of that age group, as it's also pretty common in military members of the same age group.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:23 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It would help if the OP had said where the drinking took place and how her daughter got the alcohol. She didn't, so most of this is based on speculation.
I seriously doubt we'll hear from the OP again; she didn't get the response she wanted from the majority of the posters and has taken her ball and gone home.

Old 08-12-2016, 11:46 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginerene
But my fears came to pass when last Saturday she ended up drinking so much she had to be taken to the hospital and get her stomach pumped. My husband and I drove over two hours to get to her when we found out. Thankfully she is okay but she is only 19 and I am furious she was allowed to drink.
Well they look @ 19yo's as adults and they are allowed to drink.... (Really the LEGAL limit is 21 (for liquor) and if she had that also maybe that should have been monitored closer)

I hope she is feeling OK now!!

Welcome to city-data,I hope you like your stay here

Old 08-15-2016, 12:49 AM

46,957 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Giving an underage person drinks, and y'all have the nerve to talk about '100% personal responsibility'!
19 years. She can sign a binding contract, buy a house, drive a car, enlist in the armed forces, take out a loan, run for office, vote. She'll have to learn to hold her liquor eventually.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:12 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
19 years. She can sign a binding contract, buy a house, drive a car, enlist in the armed forces, take out a loan, run for office, vote. She'll have to learn to hold her liquor eventually.
First time I got drunk I was 21; two friends and I decided that for a party of three we probably needed three fifths of vodka. We made it through a fifth, I think. I suspect the other guys had never been that drunk either. Unfortunately, most of us learn to drink in uncontrolled environments without older adults present so we learn to drink responsibly (or not) on our own. The result is a lot of very sick young people. It has nothing to do with sororities or college; when I first got drunk, it was with a couple of young coworkers at the post office. There should be education for young people on responsible drinking; make it a requirement for a driver's license and maybe it will help cut down on young people with alcohol poisoning needing their stomachs pumped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting