Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 03:34 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
When I was in college, about 20 years ago, part of sorority initiation was drinking to the point of having no idea what was going on and then being left in the middle of nowhere. I don't drink and didn't join a sorority, but was kind of a social outcast because of it. In my opinion, schools should shut down all Greek houses - they bring nothing good to students or student life.
I respectfully disagree. Greek Life has a lot to offer students and often gets unfairly judged.

Off the top of my head

-Leadership positions. There are few college organizations where a student will get the opportunity to manage a budget of $50,000, or speak in front of a room of 100+ members.

-Networking, especially in business and the political realm this is huge and can be highly beneficial for alumni/alumnae.

- How to present your self properly (this sounds silly as first but is absolutely true). Many fraternities require members to dress in full on blazers, dress shirts, ties, khakis, dress shoes etc. for weekly meetings and this definitely pays off by the time interviews come around and you need to look sharp.

-Socialization. For recruitment purposes and just interaction with other Greek members you will quickly overcome social anxiety and be able to engage in small talk with just about anyone.

-The potential for life long friendships. Even after graduation my best friends are people who I met through the Greek system.

-Philanthropy/community service, Greeks raise much more money for philanthropic causes on average than non-Greeks and total significantly more community service hours.

In terms of "hazing" if what is being done to new members is truly mentally or physically harmful than by all means kick the respective chapter of campus. However, this is not exclusively a Greek problem as we it also observe it with sports teams and even marching bands quite often but no one says "ban all athletics".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 03:44 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,634,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginerene View Post
My daughter is a great person and has always made good grades and helped in the community but like many young people she can still make mistakes. When she went off to college she joined a sorority, I admit I was a bit apprehensive due to what kind of stuff can go on in these Greek houses whether they be sororities or fraternities but didn't say anything.

But my fears came to pass when last Saturday she ended up drinking so much she had to be taken to the hospital and get her stomach pumped. My husband and I drove over two hours to get to her when we found out. Thankfully she is okay but she is only 19 and I am furious she was allowed to drink. Neither my husband or I drink and she never drank in high school, we even warned her about it.

But I understand peer pressure especially when you are in something like a sorority, and as far as I know they are looking to find out who supplied the alcohol.

She is thankfully fine, and I am not saying she is completely innocent but the fact she was allowed access to it at all and no doubt peer pressured into it greatly bothers me. She has said she just made a mistake and doesn't want anyone to get in trouble and she said she doesn't know who supplied it.

Shouldn't this kind of stuff be closely monitored by the school?
Parents of college students are FOOLISH and IGNORANT regarding what goes on in most sororities and fraternities. I had the joy of seeing this first hand at a big ten university.

To be in one is certainly not some merit badge of honor and achievement.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:50 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
This might seem like a big deal, but it really isn't. This could have happened whether or not she joined a sorority. My school didn't have Greek life and still had incidents like this.

It isn't unusual for a young adult to have an experience where they drink too much and get sick. She will learn and not drink so much next time around.

It is a poor life choice, but a venial sin nonetheless.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Greek houses are not necessarily located "on campus" though. Many (most?) are private property owned by the fraternal organization, at least in my experience.
True about the houses, but the University of Colorado cut their ties with the frats, meaning they can't have free space on campus, etc. Frats’ move cuts ties with CU – The Denver Post

Now, they're trying to re-establish relations.
CU-Boulder moves to reestablish formal ties with fraternities - Boulder Daily Camera

You can't win for losing.

What bugs me about the frats is that wild things happen, like some recruits trashed a motel in the mountains on some fraternity outing, then the National says "we don't condone that stuff"; lather, rinse repeat. They encourage that behavior, yet they hang the individual chapter out to dry when something bad happens.
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...pledges-arrest

Old 08-04-2016, 04:03 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
First, I'm a bit leary concerning the veracity of this post for a couple of reasons: first time poster making outrageous demands/blaming. Second, I live in a college town. I know how many colleges work. It's summer. Even though a college might have summer classes, most sororities and fraternities are shut down in the summer months. Members find other living arrangements.

Many, if not most, colleges and universities do have rules regarding alcohol on campuses. Even with the rules they are not responsible for your daughter breaking those rules, illegally obtaining alcohol, or her underage drinking. She is an adult and she alone made the decision to over drink. Consider yourself lucky that getting her stomach pumped was all that happened. It could have been MUCH worse!

One of my kids tried pot when he was a teenager. It is illegal in our state. We didn't ask for his supplier or blame his school for exposing him to people that could supply pot. It was all on him.
+ acting like she doesn't have a choice in if her daughter is in it. Dues for greek life is quite costly and almost all kids in it the parents are covering the cost. A 19 year old cant usually afford 3k a semester for dues.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:27 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
I doubt it if this will be the last time your teen daughter gets drunk but be thankful no college punks sexually assaulted her. All you can do is talk to her but its her life & she will do what she wants. If you are paying for her education then that's a different story. Good-luck.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:54 PM

155 posts, read 196,165 times
Is this... is this satire? Your daughter is an ADULT. What's the sorority (composed of other people her age no less so not parental figures) supposed to do? Give her a curfew? I don't want to sound old man here since I'm only in my early 30s but when I was your daughter's age I was in Afghanistan, certainly taking care of myself and a lot more just fine thanks.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:15 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Who is paying her dues? They are not cheap. If my daughter had to get her stomach pumped at a party I was paying dues for, I wouldn't be paying them.

My oldest got someone else to pay his for a few semesters and then even he had enough. I don't approve of them,I don't care what people say about life long connections. Blah. I wouldn't pay 3K a semester for that nonsense
I agree...not too long ago there was an ad campaign that seemed very true - aimed primarily at college guys. It was - "Are you sure you're really making friends - or just drinking buddies?" It's easy to get clouded thinking when you're drinking all the time like is common in sororities and fraternities.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:16 PM

155 posts, read 196,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
When parents are too strict at home, they can drive the prohibited activity underground where it cannot be monitored (no drinking at home, lecturing the child what not to do). The first time the young adult is out of the house with no "house rules", they go overboard.
Oh definitely; the most out of control kids in college were always the ones from strict homes.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:21 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywolf81 View Post
Oh definitely; the most out of control kids in college were always the ones from strict homes.
Smh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting