Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 02:41 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times

Advertisements

Someone who does not have a license yet does not need a car.

PLUS, she does not WANT a car!

Wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 02:42 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You mentioned that your daughter also attends college classes. So, you are at work, and your daughter would then take your wife's only car whenever she needs it? Leaving your wife at home with younger kids without a car?

Buy your daughter a car.
Why? Growing up, my parents had one car between them for several years, and 7 kids to boot. Plenty of parents don't have cars, or don't drive. In case of emergency, there are options.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:45 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I live about two miles from our MS & HS, and the students also need to cross a busy street. Every day I see numerous students walking, or riding their bikes, to and from school.

If she can't handle one mile, and crossing a street, at 17 how is she going to manage a college campus next year?
The daughter doesn't need a car to drive 2 miles a day. Get her a bike.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:56 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Why? Growing up, my parents had one car between them for several years, and 7 kids to boot. Plenty of parents don't have cars, or don't drive. In case of emergency, there are options.
Sure....there are and Dad can get a ride to work and the issue is solved.

The parents didn't want her walking, "they" err Mom has been driving her to and from school. There must be a reason they didn't want her walking alone. I think having a car increases independence. Whether she uses one of the two family vehicles or Dad buys her one....

I live in a State where it snows 8 months out of the year. So, I obviously have a different perspective about teens driving then others.

My daughter, my oldest was driving her junior year, and I had 5 children so I was happy that she could drive her two younger brothers to school. I still had to take two lil ones out to pick up my kindergartener daily because he got out at noon.

Prior to my daughter driving I was in and out of the car with two lil guys in car seats 3 times daily. And that does not include basketball, track, dance wrestling practice. It was a blessing for my daughter to drive.

Last edited by JanND; 08-04-2016 at 03:14 PM..

Old 08-04-2016, 03:11 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
What's up with your wife?

I'm a SAHM because I HAVE to be (youngest is profoundly disabled) & one of my "jobs" now is to save money any way I can.

It's not unusual for me to be in the car for up to 4 hours straight & up to 6 hours total during the school year because the teens are in an "out of boundry" school & they are involved in extra-curricular & GMP activities.

As long as they maintain good grades & I am getting the excellent feedback about them from teachers (as is expected of them) then great...I'd spend 8 hours a day in the car!

I overheard them talking (twin girls, age 14) the other day about the "kind of car they want for the 1st car" & I had to laugh...Ha! I've got news for them...the 1st car they will be driving will either be an old one of mine or one they pay for themselves.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:22 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Sure....there are and Dad can get a ride to work and the issue is solved.

The parents didn't want her walking, "they" err Mom has been driving her to and from school. There must be a reason they didn't want her walking alone. I think having a car increases independence. Whether she uses one of the two family vehicles or Dad buys her one....

I live in a State where it snows 8 months out of the year. So, I obviously have a different perspective about teens driving then others.

My daughter, my oldest was driving her junior year, and I had 5 children so I was happy that she could drive her two younger brothers to school. I still had to take two lil ones out to pick up my kindergartener daily because he got out at noon.

Prior to my daughter driving I was in and out of the car with two lil guys in car seats 3 times daily. And that does not include basketball, track, dance wrestling practice. It was a blessing for my daughter to drive.
Ok, but independence comes with responsibilities. I have no issue with teens getting cars, only if they are given them without any caveats. The OP didn't say his daughter had any reason to own a car of her own, so that decision is his alone. As would be the cost of the vehicle, the gas, maintenance, and insurance, because his daughter doesn't have a job. We bought our sons cars. They had jobs, and extra-curriculars that made it the right decision for all involved. The OP doesn't have quite such a clear choice here.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:43 PM

997 posts, read 937,105 times
I don't think she needs a car until she gets her license at least.

If I remember right, when my daughter started driving, she drove my car but I had to add her to my insurance policy. As a new driver that is expensive. She did not have her own car but she had to have insurance.

You'll have to check that out with the laws in your state.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:43 PM

9,501 posts, read 9,816,320 times
Thanks for all the great discussions. Looks like the majority agree that we should wait on a car. It is true that my wife is just plain "tired" of driving the kids...to all honesty, she has been carpooling the children for the most of the last 11 years. Just the way things worked out with where we live (long story for another time).

She is more than welcome to use my car after work, but I leave at 5:30 and drive 20 miles, so she wouldn't be able to drive me to work and then drive to school. Plus waaay too much traffic.

I believe my daughter honestly wants to be part of the responsibility of having a car by helping to pay for it.

On the license..she did wait (again not much of a need). So a mutual decision there. Takes 6 months to get a license on learner permit.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:56 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
How about getting her a bike? She is old enough to handle a street, unless its like super mega busy.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:59 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
Tell your wife you are going car shopping with your daughter, then take her to the movies instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting