Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 04:02 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
My oldest daughter, who is 17, will be a HS senior starting in a few weeks. She is a straight A student and takes college classes as well. She is not working yet, but helps in the house.

She hasn't gotten her drivers license yet, but should in September.

We live less than a mile from her school. There is no bus service, no sidewalks and she has to cross a busy road with no crosswalks. Which is why we have driven her for the past three years.

My wife (stay-at-home mom plus teaches my youngest at home) really wants me to get my daughter a car. Since at the moment my daughter is not working and may not the entire senior year, I'm balking at buying a car. My daughter works hard on her studies, so when she is at home, she is mostly studying. She would only need a car to drive the 2 mile round trip to school and back and occasionally meeting up with friends (who have cars but live farther away).

So besides a limited need for a car, I don't see a reason to pay higher insurance which in my area would be over $180 a month just for a car that needs liability. Not including I will have to buy her a car. The car will be sitting in our driveway or parking lot over 90% of the time.

My thinking is to continue to drive her to school for now (or let a friend pick her up) and let her drive one of our two cars when we are not using them. Normally there is always a car available - one car is a minivan. Then towards the end of HS, I will get her a car, then right after HS she can get a part-time job before college and help pay some of the insurance costs. (She is planning on going to a local college to finish up her associates degree first).

My daughter actually agrees with my side. My wife is the one giving me grief. I don't see a reason to have 3 cars right now.
How about your daughter has earned it? And the reason your daughter doesn't go anywhere is because she doesn't have the means to. How about your wife really gets tired of driving your daughter everywhere? And if you think your daughter actually agrees with your side, you're just kidding yourself. She wants to have wheels. She just doesn't want to annoy you.

You know, there's a big difference between being financially prudent and just being a cheap b**tard. Nobody likes a cheap b**tard. Don't be a cheap b**tard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 04:17 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
How about your daughter has earned it? And the reason your daughter doesn't go anywhere is because she doesn't have the means to. How about your wife really gets tired of driving your daughter everywhere? And if you think your daughter actually agrees with your side, you're just kidding yourself. She wants to have wheels. She just doesn't want to annoy you.

You know, there's a big difference between being financially prudent and just being a cheap b**tard. Nobody likes a cheap b**tard. Don't be a cheap b**tard.
What an ugly post. The daughter doesn't work, doesn't appear to have extra-curricular activities that would pose a hardship, doesn't even have a freaking license.

Yes, under the circumstances, it is not only financially prudent, but a complete no-brainer. She doesn't need, and isn't pining for a car.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:18 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,549,250 times
It makes no financial sense to buy a car, and all the responsibilities that come with it, that's going to be parked the majority of the time. I agree with the others who say you should wait until it's needed.

I know several teens who have no interest in having a car or driving, so I don't believe his daughter is lying.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:39 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

Somebody didn't get a free car from Daddy at license time. Try to remember the thread is not about you.

To continue the topic - there is no need to get a car for your daughter at this point.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:10 PM

997 posts, read 937,105 times
I drove my kids to school every day from Kindergarten through high school and in high school it was a 40 minute round trip in the morning and then I had to go to work all day. That was torture because school started at 7:30am...

That was how it had to be because my daughter wasn't ready to drive until after she graduated.

The other point that the OP made was that the road to the school has no sidewalk. I wouldn't let my children walk to school on a road with no sidewalk. I didn't.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:23 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Buy her the car. She sounds like a great kid who studies hard and does the right things. A car to a kid is more than point a to point b, it is part of the growing up process.

When my twin sons were 14 we started building together their two first cars so they would be finished by the time they turned 16. Those cars were their status symbols and their love. My one said, as we were starting to see his car come together, "This car is going to change my life !" They kept those two cars for years, even after they had enough money to buy brand new cars. Mine too were good kids and it kept them away from drugs and trouble because their money was going into little things for those cars.

You wife is the same as my ex wife , she was the negotiator in the family. She would slip me hints about what I should do about some issue and urge me to be soft when softness was needed. Listen to your wife, she is right, and it is only money.

Buy the damn car, your daughter deserves it and will always remember her first car. It will also make you feel great.

Don

Old 08-04-2016, 05:26 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Buy the damn car, your daughter deserves it and will always remember her first car.
How does someone who does not WANT a car and who doesn't even have a license to drive a car deserve a car???

Old 08-04-2016, 05:27 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Why can't she walk? At 17 crossing a busy street and walking a mile is nothing.
Yeah.
Less than a mile and she's getting a ride?
Huh?
I agree with you, op.
Car unnecessary.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:49 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
She needs practice driving. A sensible good student is better off with her own car than being driven by her friend or friend of friends. You do not want her walking home from somewhere to get out of bad situation.

Does she give gas money to friends for hauling her around?

Your wife wants her to be more independent & is tried of driving a high schooler. If you want your car to always be available for daughter, she doesn't need her own. It sounds like you want your wife to lose use of her vehicle.

Assist your daughter in getting her license, then address getting her a car when borrowing doesn't work out.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:50 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
I don't have a teen driver yet, but we plan to provide a car because it will help US tremendously. Both kids are busy with sports and activities and it is nearly killing me to drive them everywhere they need to be. I might even be able to increase my work hours, so it could even out money wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting