Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 07:25 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,545,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbiz84 View Post
Hi,
I have been searching for help for months, I dont know what to do.

So im a 30 year old single father of a 7 and 8 year old. I have no help, no family where i stay, its just us

My kids are wild. They take nothing serious. Sports, school, nothing. They just dont care win or lose. All they want to do is fight each other.

Now when i was young, i was a goofball. So i get it. And there mom is, well theres a reason i have full custody.

I dont even know what im trying to ask, i guess, how do i help my children finally want to achieve greatness...whether it be school, sports or anything.

Can you teach that??

I just want the best for them. And i see other kids theirr age who seemingly "get it". And as a parent, that makes me question whether or not my kids will be prepared to compete with their peers 10-15 years from now.

Do i just let kids be kids?? My indian friend from college said his parents told him he could be a doctor, engineer or computer scientist... do i push my kids like that??

Im so lost and broken. And i feel like im failining them.

I homeschool them during the summer.. is that enough??

As you can tell.... im a wreck.
First, kids will be kids. Some (like me) are just wild and that's all there is to it. Be patient.

Second, whenever I hear of wild kids I wonder about their diet. How much sugar and caffeine or foods that convert to sugar. Check that very carefully.

Third, maybe focus them a bit on something you chooser. Like a water balloon fight...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 07:47 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
As a mother of boys, I suggest just keeping it simple. Tell them straight out what you expect and why in simple language.

" I expect you to pay attention in school and do your homework without farting around. I want you to be prepared to get a good job and not end up homeless or a criminal."
"I expect you to eat the healthy meals I make and not sneak a bunch of candy and pop. I don't want you to end up loosing all your teeth before you have your own kids."
"You need to stop the rough housing in stores and other places where it annoys other people. You are not a wild animal so use your brain and act like the intelligent person you are. You really make me proud when you stop and think and use your manners."
"I was a kid once too, and I know it's hard. I'm just really glad you have what it takes. I'm so lucky you're my kid."

I just loved having boys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting