Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 11:19 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
This man essentially stole from you. Use whatever reasonable leverage you might have to get him to pay you back. If it was going to be a drawn-out drama, I'd accept the losses and never associate with him again. Do you really want this man to be woven into your life?
Maybe YOU wouldn't associate with him again but your married to the biological parent who likely does not share that sentiment.

And I wouldn't want to have kids with someone that WOULD share that sentiment, really. Who would want to bear more children from a man that chose $600 over his own son. Eew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 11:48 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Where is a 19 yo kid going to get the money to pay anybody back?
How about a JOB??? My son worked since he was legally able at 14. While in High School he paid his own expenses including customizing his pickup truck. (Lift kit/BIG wheels)

Old 08-16-2016, 12:30 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
OMG the OP is not "owed" anything from anybody.

If you give money to the person that approached you in a parking lot because they said "Hey my car is out of gas..." & then you watch them walk into a liquor store...do they then OWE you the money back?

Actually; I take what I first said back...he does owe you an aplogy. But other than that; you have learned a lesson that will help you out when "your" kids are in school: The school does not get to tell you what to do ( even more so with college; they know who butters the bread!) & the kid does not get to tell you what to do.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:36 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
What you have to consider, is that boys and girls, normally do not want to go on a vacation with parents. They will do almost anything to keep from going. If he felt you were forcing him into a vacation he really did not want to go on, then he found a way to get out of going. It is a normal think for kids that age, to go to any length rather than go on a vacation with parents, and even less want to go on a vacation involving a step parent. That young man, just proved he is normal.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:53 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
What you have to consider, is that boys and girls, normally do not want to go on a vacation with parents. They will do almost anything to keep from going. If he felt you were forcing him into a vacation he really did not want to go on, then he found a way to get out of going. It is a normal think for kids that age, to go to any length rather than go on a vacation with parents, and even less want to go on a vacation involving a step parent. That young man, just proved he is normal.
I didn't want to go on vacation with my parents either. And I got out of it. How? I got a summer job and signed up for a summer school course. I enlisted my grandparents to say they'd keep an eye on me and I told my parents they could call any of the neighbors any night to check and see that I was home alone at night. I had also earned my parents' trust by that time.

So I got to stay home alone the entire 10 days they were gone with my younger siblings. I didn't have to go on vacation AND I didn't have to lie either. Lying is not necessary as an "any length" if you're smart enough to plan ahead.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:47 AM

23,971 posts, read 15,075,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by point80 View Post
Why is there always this pull toward manufactured outrage and hyperbole? Yes, we agree it was a total douche move. That's been established.

However, horny teens going to great lengths to get together...it is not an extraordinary thing, sorry. And it doesn't make you a 'con' (love the attempt to criminalizing it, what the ?).

I think someone else mentioned it, but I would PAY to have the son post his side of the story ("Abducted into super lame Lego Land vaca w/step parent and my journey to freedom").
After all these post about throwing him out with the trash, do you want to halfers and get his side of the story? ;-}

All we know is a step parent is PO because of a story made up by a 19yo who wanted to be somewhere else.

We do not know why this step parent is out the money or had to take a day of vacation to arrange for the kid to get home instead of the biological parent.

Sounds to me like total strangers traveling together. These people are supposed to be family and they do not even know each other. Sounds like the son only sees his parent for 2 weeks in the summer. Instead of spending time with his parent, he gets to go to Disney world with a bunch of little kids he doesn't even know.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:17 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Oh, so if your man boy child lied to you and it cost you money, you would disown him?
A 19 year old is a young man.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by point80 View Post
Why is there always this pull toward manufactured outrage and hyperbole? Yes, we agree it was a total douche move. That's been established.

However, horny teens going to great lengths to get together...it is not an extraordinary thing, sorry. And it doesn't make you a 'con' (love the attempt to criminalizing it, what the ?).

I think someone else mentioned it, but I would PAY to have the son post his side of the story ("Abducted into super lame Lego Land vaca w/step parent and my journey to freedom").
Yes it does make him a con. He's 19 years old, a grown man.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
He's not a boy. He's a man. Plenty of young adults enjoy vacations with their parents. Going to great lengths to avoid a vacation with parents at 14 is normal. At 19 it isn't.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:44 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,223,558 times
Personally what i would do is next time he needs or wants somthing from you tell him when you pay back the extra expenses from the vacation i will help you.

And personally if his mom really did call wanting him home early i would have said, then tell her to send you a ticket home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting