Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2016, 08:48 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I just came back from the beach today. I saw multiple groups of teens, probably between 14-17 yr olds in different groups. Girls wearing really revealing bikinis and some making out with boys and definitely very sexually active judging by their physical actions. I know it's none of my business but as a parent myself and also I was once a teenager that I could understand this but I just thought while it's harmless. Not sure the parents of some of those teenage girls would approve of their daughter's behavior with boys at this age.
I just came back from the beach today. I saw multiple groups of teens, probably between 14-17 yr olds in different groups. Girls wearing really revealing bikinis. Some boys and girls were making out and definitely very sexually active judging by their physical actions. I know it's none of my business but as a parent myself and also I was once a teenager that I could understand this but I just thought while it's harmless. Not sure the parents of some of those teenage boys and girls would approve of their sons and daughter's behavior at this age.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-22-2016 at 06:18 AM.. Reason: If I make a mistake please just dm me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Except a few years ago the volleyball players revolted against the bikini because it is demeaning and they are serious athletes, not playboy models. The Olympic committee (in all its usual wisdom) upheld the bikini requirement.
I read just this week that the players choose to wear the bikinis because there is less area for sand to get stuck in.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:54 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,625 times
Doesn't sound like anything has changed since the 1980's. Oh, those nights on the lifeguard stand.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:59 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,241 times
Quote:
I can only guess they are between 14-17, due to their immaturity. I don't think they were really bad kids, I think they simply display what teenagers are capable these days. I saw a few making out on the beach and most of the girls with mature bodies wore bikinis and the younger ones had one piece. All of the boys were topless to get tanned. A lot of guys were carrying girls around and some girls just getting very friendly with the boys.

If they are 18 yr olds, I probably wouldn't care but some of them just look way too young to be letting it loose.
This post boggles my mind. OP, please help me understand:

a) What exactly do you think "teenagers are capable of these days" that they weren't 20,40,60 years ago?

b) Teens were making out at the beach? Gasp! I can see how you might jump to some alarming conclusion about the miserable state of teenagerhood today Seriously, in what generation did teens not make out?

c) What's wrong with bikinis? If this scene was so upsetting to you why were you spending so much time mentally dividing them into mature vs immature based on their bodies?

d) How do you know anything about the boys' reasons for being topless? How is this attire so different from bikinis?

f) Teens "letting it loose"? Gasp! This all sounds so...not shocking or upsetting in the least...

e) "Carrying girls around" "getting very friendly with the boys"??? Either you're not painting a very clear picture, or the 1800's is calling and they want you to return their societal norms that you've been borrowing.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Moms used to not allow skimpy bathing suits on 14-year-olds. Who is paying for those suits? Unless the girls have jobs at that age, the parents are buying those. Not that more modest suits would make a difference, really. There also used to be moms who wouldn't allow 14-year-old girls hang out with or date 17-year-old boys. Oh well. Times change.
I got my first bikini, with my mom's knowledge, at age 14. That was 30 years ago.

Quote:
I can only guess they are between 14-17, due to their immaturity. I don't think they were really bad kids, I think they simply display what teenagers are capable these days. I saw a few making out on the beach and most of the girls with mature bodies wore bikinis and the younger ones had one piece. All of the boys were topless to get tanned. A lot of guys were carrying girls around and some girls just getting very friendly with the boys.

If they are 18 yr olds, I probably wouldn't care but some of them just look way too young to be letting it loose.
So the girls were being provocative, and the boys were just trying to get tan? Do you not see what's so blatantly wrong with this statement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarOdomsDealer View Post
I don't know, to me there's something really inappropriate about teenage girls wearing things like thong underwear and thong bikinis. When I was a teenager, I remember always seeing girl's practically have their thong show since they wore super low pants. Even as a teen, I thought it was inappropriate but then again I was a virgin until I was 24 and didn't have my first date until I was 18. My parents weren't strict either. I just thought it looked like something strippers would wear and wasn't for me.

I know it's an easy thing to say, but the media is so in your face with looking sexy that I don't see teenage girls changing how they dress unless the parents don't buy them those clothes or set ground rules. I mean I just saw this morning than Kim Kardashian who is a mother of 2, took close up photos of her behind not wearing any bathing suit twerking, along with photos of her at the beach wearing a short sheer white top with her nipples and aerolas showing through. To me you can be sexy and have class but today unfortunately being sexy is showing skin, having large breasts, and having lip fillers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarOdomsDealer View Post
You didn't see where I said they were very low pants did you?
You said their thongs "practically" showed. That means they weren't showing, but almost were.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:48 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
I just came back from the beach today. I saw multiple groups of teens, probably between 14-17 yr olds in different groups. Girls wearing really revealing bikinis and some making out with boys and definitely very sexually active judging by their physical actions. I know it's none of my business but as a parent myself and also I was once a teenager that I could understand this but I just thought while it's harmless. Not sure the parents of some of those teenage girls would approve of their daughter's behavior with boys at this age.
Would the parents of those teenage boys approve of their son's behavior with girls of this age?

Old 08-21-2016, 11:11 PM

762 posts, read 610,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I got my first bikini, with my mom's knowledge, at age 14. That was 30 years ago.

So the girls were being provocative, and the boys were just trying to get tan? Do you not see what's so blatantly wrong with this statement?

You said their thongs "practically" showed. That means they weren't showing, but almost were.
K they were showing. Happy?

Old 08-21-2016, 11:13 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,438,862 times
Quote:
I know it sounds unreasonable but that's just how human nature is, you never been a guy nor understand how adolescent boys behave. When you're at the age, hormone dominates your mind and reasoning. I could still remember the things I've seen and done that could've been prevented had those situations not happened.
You have never been a teenage girl, and yet you seem very comfortable speaking for them. Not only was I once a teenage girl, I have raised two of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r
If would be a lot easier for girls to simply avoid intimidating guys or give them the wrong idea completely. Once you give off the wrong idea, it's hard to stop a one, two, or group of boys from doing what they want.
I have no idea what girls intimidating boys have to do with anything (I don't think that word means what you think it means....) but your second sentence is borderline rape excusing, and that's Flat. Out. Disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r
I don't think you understood what I wrote. I may come across as being disrespectful to teenage girls when I was a teenage boy but it was never my intention. Between ages of 13-16, a boy has a natural sense of curiosity and often overcomes reasoning.

When you see a helpless girl being harassed by a girl, most guys at 1st thought is curious to see what happens next. If it gets too overboard then some guys could come to their senses but often some guys become cheerleaders for this sort of behavior because you like to see something act out for curiosity sake. Is it my fault for not stopping the guy or being a part of the spectacle?

Once I turned 17 I started understanding things a bit better I was more respectful but I can tell you that girls that age dig guys that are aggressive. They often wear clothing to get attention, even my 15 yr old girlfriend at the time would tell me stories of other girls dressed a certain way to attract certain boys. I think teenagers all need better parenting and supervision, open conversation in order for them to better understand not what is right or wrong but consequences and causality.
Oh, I understood what you wrote perfectly. You were disrespectful to teen girls then, and you're disrespectful to teen girls now. You spent enough time watching (leering at?) these underage girls to determine who was "developed," who was making out with which boys, and who must be sexually active. Again, you were being a voyeur. At any time you could have moved to another part of the beach, moved so they were behind you, left the beach entirely, even gone over and admonished them in your best "You kids get off my lawn!!1!" voice. But you didn't. You sat there and watched and judged a bunch of kids acting like kids. And now you are trying to speak for all teenage girls saying that they like guys who are "aggressive" at that age. Once again, you were never a teenage girl, but I was, I hung out with them, and I have raised them, and NO, all teenage girls do not like aggressive guys, especially these days. For every girl who might like an aggressive guy, there are half a dozen who like guys who are polite, respectful, sensitive, kind. But you wouldn't know that, would you? And I'll say it again, these days many girls (no, not all) very much do not like boys who are aggressive because it is...wait for it...seen as a sign of disrespect to them as young women and to their bodies.

tl;dr: OP, stay away from the beach in general and teenagers specifically.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:35 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Care to weigh on what the parents of the boys would think about how they're behaving with girls or is just the girls' responsibility to hold them at bay?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post

I guess I think women take the lead. The boys will do what the girls allow. I bet not all boys were doing the groping. Just the ones the girls allowed.
Well I bet the fathers of the boys would have two reactions. One would be "atta boy!" because the boys that the girls were allowing to do the groping were the winners. The other would be "jeez get a room".

It's entirely appropriate for teens to wear revealing bathing suits at the beach...it's what the beach is for. It's entirely predictable that when groups of barely dressed mixed gendered teens get together, there's going to be some sort of flirtatious behavior at the very least. It is not appropriate for these kids to be groping each other and making out in public though. Be respectful and keep that sort of behavior out of sight and out of mind.

I go to the beach often and I've never seen teens acting like this in front of adults and families. I'm sure when they found private spots away from prying eyes all sorts of things were going on but I've never seen them just blatantly behaving that way in front of everyone.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:41 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,751,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I guess you haven't been watching the Olympics this year.

Full sleeve shirts, long spandex pants, all sorts of different outfits on display at beach volleyball. Including bikini.

No wonder ratings were down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting