Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2016, 05:58 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,749,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
It's the beach!!!

What should they wear? Burkas? Burka bathing suits, at least?

Do you really want to go there? The irony behind all discussions of this nature is that as we invite Islam to become a greater influence on our society out of a sense of cultural tolerance there is going to be an increasing and more violent intolerance for women's sexuality that comes along with it. How are we going to figure those new factors in with how we raise our children to view their own sexuality? Is it safe to teach our daughters more progressive views of their sexuality and their sexual agency in such an environment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 06:24 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,060,153 times
Uncle Bully:
Quote:
Well I bet the fathers of the boys would have two reactions. One would be "atta boy!" because the boys that the girls were allowing to do the groping were the winners. The other would be "jeez get a room".
I think this sexist attitude (if you have daughters, sisters or a mother, they must be so proud) is a much graver threat than tolerance of Muslims.

Old 08-22-2016, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Uncle Bully:

I think this sexist attitude (if you have daughters, sisters or a mother, they must be so proud) is a much graver threat than tolerance of Muslims.
You can trot around on your high horse being blind to reality all you want but I think you're being incredibly naïve. I also think you're only reading selected bits of what I'm writing.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:07 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,060,153 times
Nope, I read everything you wrote. Asserting that boys who grope girls are winning is disgusting. I'm not sure how I'm on a high horse, but if you really believe we're in danger of having some Muslim faction patrolling our beaches and pools, we can't even have a discussion.

Have a great day and tell everyone at Fox New I said hey.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:12 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Do you really want to go there? The irony behind all discussions of this nature is that as we invite Islam to become a greater influence on our society out of a sense of cultural tolerance there is going to be an increasing and more violent intolerance for women's sexuality that comes along with it. How are we going to figure those new factors in with how we raise our children to view their own sexuality? Is it safe to teach our daughters more progressive views of their sexuality and their sexual agency in such an environment?

I'm not sure what you mean by "go there"?

I have to be honest, I disagree with much of your assessment (are we inviting Islam to become a greater influence on our society? We have a large, complex and diverse society. I don't see Islam having a large impact in general. I also wouldn't automatically assume that more Muslims equals more violent intolerance for women's sexuality. And even if those first two points were true, no, I wouldn't advocate for teaching girls to cover up at all times and not look at males because some crazy dudes say so.)

However, this was half of my point in referencing burkas: clearly covering female bodies doesn't make them less female or less sexual or less interesting to boys. Covering female bodies also doesn't make them safer, or more respected by males, or "better behaved."

Would the elimination of bikinis make teens less interested in each other? Less sexual? Would girls be more respected? No.

So the other half of my other point is: what do those all those cry about "kids these days" want and expect from teenagers? And how would they achieve that?

Old 08-22-2016, 08:16 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,726,340 times
Quote:
Belied by the fact that the most tolerant Muslims in the world are ones born here. American culture wins within a few generations every time.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:17 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,407,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Not sure the parents of some of those teenage
boys
Quote:
would approve of their
son's
Quote:
behavior with
girls
Quote:
at this age.

Fixed that for you

Old 08-22-2016, 08:17 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,726,340 times
Quote:
You can trot around on your high horse being blind to reality all you want but I think you're being incredibly naïve. I also think you're only reading selected bits of what I'm writing.
Your name literally has the word bully in it, let's not pretend you are here to act as a voice of reason.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:18 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
I disagree with this. I think women should value their bodies and not expose it for public consumption.Moderator cut: delete Parity between male and female doesn't have to be direct.

Females should respect their bodies so they don't get exploited.
It works just fine the other way around as well:>)

It is summer, school is out, it is part of growing up! Take a swim.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "go there"?

I have to be honest, I disagree with much of your assessment (are we inviting Islam to become a greater influence on our society? We have a large, complex and diverse society. I don't see Islam having a large impact in general. I also wouldn't automatically assume that more Muslims equals more violent intolerance for women's sexuality. And even if those first two points were true, no, I wouldn't advocate for teaching girls to cover up at all times and not look at males because some crazy dudes say so.)

However, this was half of my point in referencing burkas: clearly covering female bodies doesn't make them less female or less sexual or less interesting to boys. Covering female bodies also doesn't make them safer, or more respected by males, or "better behaved."

Would the elimination of bikinis make teens less interested in each other? Less sexual? Would girls be more respected? No.

So the other half of my other point is: what do those all those cry about "kids these days" want and expect from teenagers? And how would they achieve that?

As far as Islam is concerned just look at Europe for your example. Until recently Europeans have had pretty much the same views on female sexuality as we have in America but after events of the last couple of years we now have these same Europeans advising their own daughters to dress more modestly to avoid "cultural misunderstandings". As we continue to invite more muslims in by the tens of thousands as refugees and the hundreds of thousands if not millions as immigrants we're going to reach a point where we may have to start giving the same advice to our own daughters.

As to your second point I would only ask that teens "get a room" when engaging in sexual behavior and not do it out in the open in front of adults and families. I've not seen teens being so blatant at the beach as the OP has(and I got to the beach often), so I'm not sure it's really a problem to begin with. My only issue as far as this subject goes is that male and female sexuality are not the same and we should not pretend or treat them as if they are. As parents we do our children a disservice when we do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting