Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 04:01 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
On what planet? I am 50 years old and when I was 14 I wore a bikini to the beach as did most of my friends. After all-it is the beach where you wear bathing suits. I also wore a bikini when I went in the pool.

As far a 14 year old girls hanging out with 17 year old boys how would you prevent it? After all, they go to school together. They live in the same neighborhoods. They have been friends for a long time. Some of them know each other because they have older siblings. 17 year old boys are not monsters that should be kept away from civilized society.
Some of my friends still had 1-piece suits at 14, and my mom and my aunts wouldn't let me and my cousins wear bikinis at that age. It depends on the individual kids involved, but it raises questions about why someone who's close to entering college would be interested in someone just out of middle school.

This forum is very different from the Relationships forum; there, most of the moms feel that 17- and 18-year-olds dating or hanging around 14-year-olds is somewhat predatory, inappropriate, and a potential statutory rape case waiting to happen.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-20-2016 at 04:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 04:20 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Some of friends still had 1-piece suits at 14, and my mom and my aunts wouldn't let me and my cousins wear bikinis at that age. It depends on the individual kids involved, but it raises questions about why someone who's close to entering college would be interested in someone just out of middle school.

This forum is very different from the Relationships forum; there, most of the moms feel that 17- and 18-year-olds dating or hanging around 14-year-olds is somewhat predatory, inappropriate, and a potential statutory rape case waiting to happen.
We have no idea how old the teens were in the OP, only an opinion. It is highly likely both the boys and the girls were close in age. Not that it matters, because that doesn't seem to be the issue here. The behavior of the girls only has been called into question. Which is odd, imo.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:34 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I just came back from the beach today. I saw multiple groups of teens, probably between 14-17 yr olds in different groups. Girls wearing really revealing bikinis and some making out with boys and definitely very sexually active judging by their physical actions. I know it's none of my business but as a parent myself and also I was once a teenager that I could understand this but I just thought while it's harmless. Not sure the parents of some of those teenage girls would approve of their daughter's behavior with boys at this age.
So it's all the girls' fault? Interesting.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:41 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
It just takes a longer time for biological evolution to catch up with societal evolution.

My great -grandmother was married at 14 but girls then were raised in preparation for that.

At 14 a girl knew how to keep a home & raise children. Tyoically the girls were married to older men but a teenage boy knew how to hunt, farm, protect & provide for women & children.

Just because 100 years ago or so we decided to change the rules does not mean biology changes that fast.

I call baloney. In 1890, when my g-grandmother was a girl, the average age of marriage for a woman was just north of twenty-two. The youngest average age of first marriage for women in the last century was 20.3 in 1950. My gg-grandmother was married in 1863 at the age of twenty. If your g-grandmother married at 14, she was an outlier.

Old 08-20-2016, 04:56 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,111,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I really just can't even.
Attachment 173962
I know, right?!

Perhaps that was satire, and we all missed it...?

Old 08-20-2016, 05:09 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,111,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Some of my friends still had 1-piece suits at 14, and my mom and my aunts wouldn't let me and my cousins wear bikinis at that age. It depends on the individual kids involved, but it raises questions about why someone who's close to entering college would be interested in someone just out of middle school.
And some parents still have these rules. Some don't. What's your point?

Some girls choose to wear one-piece bathing suits. Some girls prefer bikinis. Some girls like both and choose based on the situation.

Just like always, teen behavior runs the gamut. Why is anyone surprised that teens at the beach are trying to get each other's attention and attraction?

And the OP mentioned 14-17 year olds, not only 14 year olds. He didn't know how old any of these kids were. When you were in high school, freshmen never dated juniors or seniors? That didn't raise many eyebrows when I was a teen.

Old 08-20-2016, 06:11 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
This is the type of thing I was talking about in my previous post. This mindset that you shouldn't look at them regardless of the fact that you're out in public as they are and everybody is people-watching to some extent. Some people dress to catch the eye so to speak and some don't.
No you shouldn't look at the teenagers in bathing suits and then complain solely about the young women as if they were solely responsible for everything.

If their BEHAVIOR bothers do not observe it.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:15 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
And some parents still have these rules. Some don't. What's your point?
Exactly. My point was just what you stated. In response to someone who said "On what planet", as if such parents don't exist. Thank you.

Old 08-20-2016, 07:51 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times
I believe as long as kne is responsible, sex between teens is the healthy way. Its good for all of society.

Old 08-20-2016, 08:00 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I disagree with this. I think women should value their bodies and not expose it for public consumption.Moderator cut: delete Parity between male and female doesn't have to be direct.

Females should respect their bodies so they don't get exploited.
How is wearing the latest fashion in bikinis not valuing one's body.

If anything, revealing one's body shows that the person values her body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting