Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 02:01 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,823,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Wow. That's a passive-aggressive gift. Not to mention pretty rude. Why not just say "We're leaving at 11. If you want to go with us be ready to go then. If not, we'll see you when we get home".

Simple and probably a solution those books on manners would support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 02:02 PM

28,843 posts, read 30,100,958 times
Quote:
Wow. That's a passive-aggressive gift. Not to mention pretty rude. Why not just say "We're leaving at 11. If you want to go with us be ready to go then. If not, we'll see you when we get home".

sometimes, you have to hit people with a 2 x 4 to get their attention.

people like this one, wouldn't get it...but the books might wake her up....

in all aspects of good social skills...

making people wait is disrespectful, rude, and just wrong. There are no excuses to justify this kind of behavior, and from now on, I need to make them clear on that issue.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:11 PM

11,410 posts, read 7,736,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
sometimes, you have to hit people with a 2 x 4 to get their attention.

people like this one, wouldn't get it...but the books might wake her up....

in all aspects of good social skills...
No, the books will just insult her. Would you give someone who's a poor housekeeper a Christmas gift of a book on cleaning? Would you give someone who's overweight a diet book? If you did, do you think their opinion of you would be as a nice person or as a passive-aggressive, rude jerk?

This girlfriend may be just the latest one or may end up being THE ONE. Seems like a poor idea to alienate her and probably a grandson just to make a bit*hy point when just being clear on what you expect will do just as well.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:20 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,046,636 times
I have experienced similar.

The next time you make plans to go out with your cousin, I would tell her ahead of time that you have someplace to be later that day, so you have to go right at 11:00 and will not be able to wait for her daughter if she's not ready. If she's not ready when you get there, leave. Maybe your cousin will take the hint.

Last edited by Kibbiekat; 08-22-2016 at 02:36 PM..

Old 08-22-2016, 02:25 PM

102,071 posts, read 107,036,480 times
OP, it used to be very common for kids who attended college on the parental dime to not have a job. Jobs were for the kids who were attending on loans and financial aid. It was believed that the ideal was for students to focus most of their time on their studies, and to enjoy whatever spare time they had. This is still the case with those fortunate few who don't need to work their way through school, except that in todays highly-competitive job market, those who do get jobs or internships related to their academic interests will be way ahead after graduation, so all parents should be urging their kids to have jobs in school, at some point.

Aside from that issue, your friend sounds like somewhat of a doormat. It sounds like her family members take her for granted.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:29 PM

102,071 posts, read 107,036,480 times
Quote:

making people wait is disrespectful, rude, and just wrong. There are no excuses to justify this kind of behavior, and from now on, I need to make them clear on that issue.
I think you need to go beyond addressing the daughter on this. You need to tell your friend that it's best to not include her daughter in your outings (how rude for her to bring along an uninvited guest, anyway. Really, who does that?!), because of the daughter's chronic and sometimes extreme tardiness. That would send a message to your friend that she needs to instill some discipline in her daughter, and that children/young adults without discipline are not welcome company anywhere. It's not your job to raise and correct her daughter, it's her job.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:36 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,880,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think you need to go beyond addressing the daughter on this. You need to tell your friend that it's best to not include her daughter in your outings (how rude for her to bring along an uninvited guest, anyway. Really, who does that?!), because of the daughter's chronic and sometimes extreme tardiness.
The fact that the disrespectful daughter is even allowed to come on these outings is another way the OP is enabling the cousin.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:44 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,132,877 times
Quote:

What is wrong with parents today....?
Kids today! When *I* was a kid, I had to walk uphill to school BOTH WAYS. In the snow. Or the blazing heat. NOWADAYS kids have BUSSES!

There were always good and bad parents. Kids of good parents are lucky. Kids of bad parents aren't.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:54 PM

23,750 posts, read 14,872,816 times
Quote:

Nothing passive aggressive at all. My kids got those books when they were in elementary school.

You do not want me telling you the rest. Like leaving 8 drinking glasses in her room rather than bringing them back to the kitchen. They were in the car leaving for the airport. My daughter made a run through the house to make sure they left nothing. She called her son back into the house to get the glasses while explaining that his grandmother was not his maid. My daughter nor her children would not leave a mess for anybody.

Some young adults have been taught nothing. It is rare, but still true, Their families leave training up to the schools and the rest of society. I see it daily. Have you ever been into a store and seen merchandise scattered all over the floor? That's the kind of parent I'm talking about. They just walk off and leave it.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:10 PM

11,410 posts, read 7,736,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Nothing passive aggressive at all. My kids got those books when they were in elementary school.

You do not want me telling you the rest. Like leaving 8 drinking glasses in her room rather than bringing them back to the kitchen. They were in the car leaving for the airport. My daughter made a run through the house to make sure they left nothing. She called her son back into the house to get the glasses while explaining that his grandmother was not his maid. My daughter nor her children would not leave a mess for anybody.

Some young adults have been taught nothing. It is rare, but still true, Their families leave training up to the schools and the rest of society. I see it daily. Have you ever been into a store and seen merchandise scattered all over the floor? That's the kind of parent I'm talking about. They just walk off and leave it.

And you think they'll be accepted in the same way by a 20 something year old? No. And giving someone a book as a "hint" about what you perceive as a character flaw instead of openly discussing what behavior you expect in your home is classic passive-aggressive behavior. She's an adult and it's not anyone's place to attempt to parent her into better manners.

Sounds like Grandma either needs to convey the rules of her home in a clear, concise manner or not allow this couple to stay in her home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting