Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2016, 10:49 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,906,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
So many apologists for the unacceptable behavior of this undisciplined girl. She doesn't need coddling. She's learned to play her father into making a situation for the step-mother with which she can't co-exist. The girl may want to drive the step-mother away, so she can continue to follow the loose habits she had before her father brought this new woman into the house. No child should have the privilege of wrecking a parent's relationship.
What is your personal experience with kids and step-kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 11:07 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
So many apologists for the unacceptable behavior of this undisciplined girl. She doesn't need coddling. She's learned to play her father into making a situation for the step-mother with which she can't co-exist. The girl may want to drive the step-mother away, so she can continue to follow the loose habits she had before her father brought this new woman into the house. No child should have the privilege of wrecking a parent's relationship.
Did you actually read the thread? I hope you don't have children. If you do, man I feel sorry for them.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:33 AM

649 posts, read 570,303 times
Quote:
Her mother died when she was only 11. Her father remarried just 2 years later and I'm going to assume they dated before they married so that means the step-mother was brought into this girl's life not long after her mother died. So here you have a young girl grieving the most important person in her life and a new woman enters the picture who admits herself that she never wanted kids, no wonder the kid is acting out. If I were a kid and my mom died and my step-mom hated me for just existing I would act out too. Why not? She probably thinks no one loves her and she's trying to get attention any way she can.

Sure some kids are just bad but most act bad for a reason. This kid has a lot of reasons to act bad. That doesn't mean her behavior should be accepted but she needs love and acceptance, something the step-mom obviously will never give her. I also question what kind of single father would marry a woman knowing she didn't want children. How can he be with a woman that has such disdain for his own child? This whole story is so sad.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:40 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azraelae View Post
I have been married to my husband two years he had a thirteen year old daughter at the time, mother died due to cancer when she was eleven. Husband and I met shortly after and at the time his daughter was nice. But she steadily got worse, lying, stealing, sneaking out, being mean and hateful to me. But she is sweet as can be when her father is around, yet when I try to talk to my husband about this he blows it off and says she just needs space. Really??

I am at my wits end, last week I found out she stole some money from my purse. I confronted her and she denied it so I just went into her room and looked around and sure enough I found two 20 bills.

When I told my husband he said he would talk to her, nothing about punishment. I didn't help to create this monster, why should I just take it?
I don't blame her. I don't like you either.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:42 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,639,614 times
I notice the OP never returned to respond to anything....thanks for the fairy tale scenario then.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
I notice the OP never returned to respond to anything....thanks for the fairy tale scenario then.
The OP has been back a few times. Never had a kind or pleasant thing to say though.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Yep, I'm a male. You don't see or hear many of us open up like this. I don't do it too often but in an instance such as what that poster said it really hit me right in the gut so I had to speak on it. I've had to educate a couple of people that I know who were step parents and doing similar things. They got to meet my father and listen to our stories and really understand the effects it has.

I did get caught up in the wrong crowd for a while. But she was the reason I changed. To this day she is the most important woman in my life (even over my wife, who I love dearly) because of how unselfish she was and how much she valued my life even over her own. She didn't know me when they met and didn't have to do what she did. That was a choice she made. I'm forever grateful to her for it.
I'm so sorry for the pain and hurt you had to endure growing up. No one deserves that. I'm so thankful that the right lady came into to your life to become your mom.

I don't know if you know this song, but it's kind of my anthem. I'm not a guy, but I have the dad that Brad Paisley talks about in this song. Seems very appropriate for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjO1F6oCab8

BRAD PAISLEY LYRICS - He Didn't Have To Be

I really hope this teenage girl finds someone like this! She will be so lost her entire life without this person.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:37 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I'm so sorry for the pain and hurt you had to endure growing up. No one deserves that. I'm so thankful that the right lady came into to your life to become your mom.

I don't know if you know this song, but it's kind of my anthem. I'm not a guy, but I have the dad that Brad Paisley talks about in this song. Seems very appropriate for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjO1F6oCab8

BRAD PAISLEY LYRICS - He Didn't Have To Be

I really hope this teenage girl finds someone like this! She will be so lost her entire life without this person.

I'm a big fan of BP and that song too.

I'm actually doing well now. I think we all have different struggles and obstacles to overcome in life. So I'm not sorry they happened, I'm actually glad now that I look back. They help build character. I think those of us with bad experiences should use those to help teach others how to get through them.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:37 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,639,614 times
Nlambert, count me among the many posters who would give you a big hug if they knew you. You sound like a kind, decent and very mature young man. You'll make someone a wonderful husband (if you aren't already married) and a good father too. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I hope if the OP is real, that she will take away something positive from it.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:44 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azraelae View Post
I have been married to my husband two years he had a thirteen year old daughter at the time, mother died due to cancer when she was eleven. Husband and I met shortly after and at the time his daughter was nice. But she steadily got worse, lying, stealing, sneaking out, being mean and hateful to me. But she is sweet as can be when her father is around, yet when I try to talk to my husband about this he blows it off and says she just needs space. Really??

I am at my wits end, last week I found out she stole some money from my purse. I confronted her and she denied it so I just went into her room and looked around and sure enough I found two 20 bills.

When I told my husband he said he would talk to her, nothing about punishment. I didn't help to create this monster, why should I just take it?
Put purse in a safe and lock it. Put all jewelry also in it. Trust her not. If hubby asks let him know that she's a thief and you won't let her steal you blind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting