Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 07:18 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I am a working mom, and I use a great deal of my PTO to go to IEP meetings, doctor's appointments, school check-in days, etc. Those are my shoes. Everyone who works CAN take time off. It is more difficult for some, but it isn't impossible. I make school appointments a priority because my kids are my #1 priority. If you want to make it your priority, take an hour off work.
How much PTO do you get?

How close to the school do you work?

One more thing, you don't exactly engender respect when you consistently state people's children aren't their priority. You should try being understanding sometime.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
So more special treatment. You expect two hours a week unpaid, for your child to get tutoring for free. Then every parent wants the same thing, and now teachers are working an additional 50 hours a week.

The reason teachers no longer routinely stay after for free extra help or accommodate every meeting request time is because parents who take advantage like you. I have had parents who have legitimate reason (I.e. Not napping) ask for accommodation, and have met it. But I have also had parents leave their child at an after school event for an additional two hours because I am "just a public servant" and they had a meeting. As for extrahelp outside of school hours, it is rare these days. The last time I did it, a parent without asking sent their child to me not for help with my class but for SAT prep. I am sure you see nothing wrong with that.
I remember when teachers didn't have to be asked to stay after to help kids with a concept they were having trouble with. Ah, the good old days. I didn't read the rest of your post. I'm sick and tired of your terrible, judgmental and mean spirited attitude towards me.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
No compromise would be a teacher coming in early to meet with you, and you cutting back your nap. That IS A COMPROMISE.

But you are unwilling to do that. Because you feel that the school should bow to your wishes. That is not compromise.

And as for my experience, I was a research oceanographer when my daughter was in elementary school. Your non traditional schedule has NOTHING on being on a working research vessel. Sometimes I was at sea for weeks. Some times I was working from midnight to noon. And on those days I would still drag my tired ass to school if something came up. I did not expect the school and teachers in particular to be at my beck and call because I wanted to nap.
I'm putting you on ignore. I've had enough of your insults.

Best of luck to you.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:22 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Listen, I do what I can and I have gone on 3 or 4 hours sleep to attend meetings or take the kids to school on their first days or whatever. MY POINT...if you could lay down your vitriolic responses for a moment...was that parents like me would be forever grateful if parents like you and the school system recognized what we go through too. Its not all about Joe and Sally Weekdayworkers. There are tons of us parents who works crazy hours, have other responsibilities etc. who would appreciate some compromise whether that is Skyping, emailing, one night a week or a weekend morning...something.
We all email as has been said a half dozen times in is thread alone. And NO, you have no right to ask for a weekend morning or a late night when you are available between the hours of 7 and 11 but think your right to nap is more important than a teachers right to be with their family. I could care less about the gratitude of parents who expect special treatment whether that is free tutoring outside of school hours or to be able to dictate when teachers should meet with parent.

You seem to think your choice of work schedule makes you special in reality your work schedule is more forgiving of meeting during the school day than many parents with more traditional schedules like say 8-4 with that same hour long commute. If they can get to school at a reasonable hour without special treatment, so can you.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
I'm putting you on ignore. I've had enough of your insults.

Best of luck to you.
People resort to ignore when they realize their position is both indefensible and illogical.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:31 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
You've got all the answers don't you?

How could I take time off if that time off is supposed to be saved for meetings, doctors appointments and snow days? How much time off do you think I get?

You have NO CLUE what I do or do not do for my children's education so I think its time for you to just back up a little bit and calm down because you are really crossing the line here. Big time.
My husband or I take PTO for all of the above. If you don't get enough to cover it all, then you prioritize, but don't blame those choices on the school. Your kid. Your job. Your decisions. (I would think working 60 hours/week would translate into a boatload of PTO)

Quote:
Listen, I do what I can and I have gone on 3 or 4 hours sleep to attend meetings or take the kids to school on their first days or whatever. MY POINT...if you could lay down your vitriolic responses for a moment...was that parents like me would be forever grateful if parents like you and the school system recognized what we go through too. Its not all about Joe and Sally Weekdayworkers. There are tons of us parents who works crazy hours, have other responsibilities etc. who would appreciate some compromise whether that is Skyping, emailing, one night a week or a weekend morning...something.
Again, your hours actually make it possible (not ideal) to go to the school in the morning and not even miss any work; unlike traditional hours like mine. I literally work during ALL of the schools open hours, so I don't even have the option of shortening a nap. My only option is missing work.

Quote:
Saying schools should do more to accomodate nontraditional schedules isn't the same as saying that every single schedule issue with every conceivable twist should be met. I know in CityData Land we like to be hyperbolic and nitpick but that isn't what I meant and I think you knew that. But what fun would it be if we talked like normal human beings right?

And also? My suggestions weren't just for me. I was talking about parents who can't get there during the day but might be able to at night. Again, I think you knew that but you just want to argue. I hope I served your purposes well.
If most parents couldn't make it to school meetings, they'd change the way they were done. You having trouble because of your odd work schedule does not mean that most parents aren't being accommodated.

Quote:
How much PTO do you get?

How close to the school do you work?

One more thing, you don't exactly engender respect when you consistently state people's children aren't their priority. You should try being understanding sometime.
We chose to live close to where we work and work close to where we live. My drive can take anywhere from 20 min to an hour depending on traffic. I've made the drive back and forth in the middle of the school day MANY times. What that usually means is that a 1 hour appointment takes at least 2 hours off work for me. I try to schedule near lunch time so I can use that hour and take an hour of PTO, or stay an hour late to make it up. Yes, I'm fortunate that I have those options, but if I didn't, I'd have quit by now. I know all about juggling crazy schedules, believe me. I've never asked the school to schedule a daytime meeting to an evening to accommodate me. Never. I may ask for the first or last appointment of the day, but I never expected anyone to change their schedule for me.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:34 AM

lkb, I agree with everything you've said. I can't rep you again.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:55 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Yell it for the people in the back.

G-d forbid you ask the parents to take unpaid time off for their children's education, though.

Years ago many mothers were at home so the daytime school meetings worked fine. The schools need to keep up with the times and schedule some of these activities later in the day. My granddaughter's school always has 5 pm PTO meetings. Not everybody has the flexibility in their job to take off early every time there is something going on at the school.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Years ago many mothers were at home so the daytime school meetings worked fine. The schools need to keep up with the times and schedule some of these activities later in the day. My granddaughter's school always has 5 pm PTO meetings. Not everybody has the flexibility in their job to take off early every time there is something going on at the school.
Yes, there needs to be a balance. Not all school events are necessary including many the admins like to proclaim "mandatory", some school events should have limited alternate hours, and sometimes parents need to take time off from work. As a teacher my only issue is that some parents think teachers should be available late at night, on weekends, basically whenever it is convenient for them rather than ever taking time off. That is not appropriate.

Old 08-27-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Around here it seems to vary by school. All the schools have the same committees, but some schools have day time meetings, and some have evening. The best remedy to this is to get involved. Let the committee chair and principal know you are interested but can't make it at that time. Over time, things can change, but someone has to make it known that it is an issue. Again, if no one was coming to the meetings, the school would change the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting