Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 08:58 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

A 1-year-old girl's deceased siblings were removed from her abdomen by Indonesian doctors at Sumatra island hospital, according to a report from French news agency AFP.

The two bodies, believed to be triplets that did not fully develop, were successfully removed from the girl Tuesday during a five-hour surgery, the head of medical services at the main state hospital in the West Sumatra city of Padang told AFP.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316525,00.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 10:47 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
These types of stories give me nightmares. O.O At least they found the bodies when she was young- I've heard absolute horror stories of them not finding the bodies until they are much older.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:50 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,433,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A 1-year-old girl's deceased siblings were removed from her abdomen by Indonesian doctors at Sumatra island hospital, according to a report from French news agency AFP.

The two bodies, believed to be triplets that did not fully develop, were successfully removed from the girl Tuesday during a five-hour surgery, the head of medical services at the main state hospital in the West Sumatra city of Padang told AFP.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316525,00.html
That's crazy!

Old 12-14-2007, 07:35 AM

119 posts, read 457,025 times
WoW...that is just nuts. So glad the little girl came through it and is stable.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:47 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
Wouldn't you think the dead bodies would poison this child? I mean if a woman has her baby die inside her it causes poison?!!

Old 12-14-2007, 04:28 PM

371 posts, read 2,030,462 times
I don't understand the dynamics of this. How can it occur? I guess I'm not real smart.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:48 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,126,663 times
It occurs very early on in the pregnancy when the other fetus/es die - usually by 11 weeks when most 1st term miscarriages will have already taken place.

In many cases, women are not even aware they are pregnant when this happens. Studies show that the occurrence of natural twins/triplets is more prolific than thought - but the resulting pregnancy is that of a singleton. The twin/triplets "vanish". This is often referred to as "vanishing twin/triplet syndrome".

When you have the vanishing twin/triplet scenario, the vanishing fetus is reabsorbed into the uterine lining or they settle in some other area of the uterus (sometimes settling on top of the cervix). In rare cases, certain parts of the fetus or a whole fetus as in this case, end up being absorbed into the remaining fetus and have the potential to follow its genetic code and grow into what it was meant to be (although w/out any life potential).

Because this happens so early in the pregnancy, there is less risk to the pregnancy. However, a fetus dying later in pregnancy - say 21 weeks - does pose potential risks of infection to the surviving fetus and can result in the loss of the entire pregnancy. At this late stage, the dead fetus would not be reabsorbed into the uterine lining nor would it become part of the live fetus. It would just stop growing and be delivered still-born. Again - not an ideal scenario as the risk of infection can result in spontaneous miscarriage/pre-term labor at a stage where the surviving fetus is not yet viable.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:31 PM

371 posts, read 2,030,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
When you have the vanishing twin/triplet scenario, the vanishing fetus is reabsorbed into the uterine lining or they settle in some other area of the uterus (sometimes settling on top of the cervix). In rare cases, certain parts of the fetus or a whole fetus as in this case, end up being absorbed into the remaining fetus and have the potential to follow its genetic code and grow into what it was meant to be (although w/out any life potential).

Hope that helps.
It does help, but I can't believe I lived 41 years and have never heard of this. I have even had a child. I actually thought this was like a National Inquirer type story. That is how unbelievable it was to me. Thanks Sampaguita for taking the time to explain. Its incredible and very sad at the same time, but thanks for helping me understand. That poor family!!

Old 12-14-2007, 10:39 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,126,663 times
I'd never heard of this either until the last the last year where I've had friends with vanishing twin syndrome and learned about this. Otherwise, I too would have gone 41 yrs young without ever knowing about this!

Old 12-15-2007, 04:10 AM

23,870 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Discovery health has had programs on it.. I am my own twin.

I did a search for the show but couldn't find it. Chimera on wiki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting