Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 09:15 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Some districts issue a combination of devices based on grade to their students. Our district is K-2nd iPads, while the 3rd through 8th grades get Chromebooks.

It will probably change at some point.

cheers
I actually bought a chromebook but for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to get it to work as an adaptive device and I couldn't find anyone to help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 01:15 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I actually bought a chromebook but for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to get it to work as an adaptive device and I couldn't find anyone to help me.
Adaptive device? What's that?

Old 09-07-2016, 01:45 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
Thanks to all replies. I went out after much comparisons and bought a Lenovo Yoga 710 11". It is ~$450. It is light weight and has a good processor already that is Intel Pentium. It is a 2 in 1 so something he can bring to school as a tablet say for 8th grade. He's very happy with the touch screen feature. I also bought MS Office for Students.
Curious about this - did you get more memory? One review we saw said that the 4 gb had problems with not enough memory to update windows 10.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:26 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,252,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Probably because it's really not designed to do any of those tasks. Chromebooks are essentially low powered computers. You probably would need a more powerful rig with a touchscreen possibly, as well as a full fledged operating system vs what chromebooks ship with. YMMV.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:12 PM

858 posts, read 1,807,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
To all of the parents with the appropriate aged kids... no Chromebooks in use?
Our school uses Chromebooks 3rd grade on. Each kid has an assigned one in their classroom. They remain at school. We thought about getting one, but we have enough PCs around that he doesn't really need his own Chromebook.

They use tablets (iPads) for the lower levels (K -2nd grade)

Old 09-07-2016, 11:20 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,830 times
My kids each got an iPad at age 2. Both taught themselves how to read using iPad games by age 4. My youngest taught himself how to write with a handwriting app. My eldest used the iPad extensively at school starting in K, with homework assigned starting in 1st that can be "easily completed on a tablet". Homework in 2nd requires a tablet (private school). My eldest got her first computer at 6, taught herself to type, and is now helping me build herself a new computer at age 7. Her old one will go to her younger brother for now. She is also leaning how to program using Scratch.

Neither of my kids have ADHD. One of them has epilepsy, but that started as a baby and was hereditary. I've used the iPad extensively for therapy for him as well.

Phones (not smartphones) will be given when they start going places without me. Smartphones, I haven't decided yet. I may make them earn a smartphone by writing an app for one first.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:40 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
I didn't pull the trigger on a smart phone. Probably will get him that in High School. I'm going instead to get him a regular flip phone just for emergency calls but even this, I'm thinking of delaying it for 1 more year when he turns 12.
My mother (age 82) has a flip phone on a Verizon Prepaid plan for 300 minutes or texts per month for $15. I know there are much cheaper plans but rather than save a few dollars she is comfortable with the Verizon network range as opposed to Sprint or T-mobile.

If I had an 11 year old, I would want to give a plan like that to him as I would feel really guilty if he couldn't extract himself out of a situation easily with a phone. The sheer limitation of number of minutes means he can't go crazy with texting his friends or staring at a screen.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:32 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
In our district, all students in grades 6 and up have their own Chromebooks. I think eventually the elementary kids will too.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Adaptive device? What's that?
I have a child with dysgraphia and so he needs some apps to help him produce his work in the classroom

Old 09-08-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Probably because it's really not designed to do any of those tasks. Chromebooks are essentially low powered computers. You probably would need a more powerful rig with a touchscreen possibly, as well as a full fledged operating system vs what chromebooks ship with. YMMV.
Chrombooks are becoming pretty standard in some schools for kids with dyslexia, dysgraphia and other learning disorders. There are apps being developed for them and now they do voice dictation as well. They are in a race with Apple to see who can take over that market. As well as the school market in total.

I did a lot of research before first choosing chrome book for my child. But once I got it, no one around here knew how to set it up for his needs. I think it will come in handy later though.

So I ended up getting an iPad for him because I am very comfortable working with them. I am happy with he Apps I found for it, but he wont start using it until next week, so we will see how it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting