Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 01:17 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times

Advertisements

When your of legal age to have to stand for yourself in a courtroom to be held accountable for your actions then it's on you. In my state until a kid is 18 the parent has to stand in the courtroom for anything a minor is charged with

I have older boys that smoke but they do have respect for me & my house & they do not do it in front of me or their younger siblings.

They are always ok to come in & have some beer during a family gathering.

I allowed my then 14 year old twins to have one glass of champagne at my neices wedding this summer for the toast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 03:35 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
My kids are allowed to smoke, drink, do drugs as soon as they are out of the house and making their own choices. I would hope that I have taught them better than that. I hardly know anyone that is educated and smokes these days. Seems to be something that the poor still do.

Old 09-23-2016, 03:56 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo8414 View Post
While I know it may not seem ideal, a lot of kids are allowed by their parents to smoke or drink at their own discression around their parents before the legal age. I was just wondering if you let your kid do it, and at what age.

When I was 15 I was allowed to smoke cigarettes but I couldn't do anything else infront of my parents. I had friends that could smoke weed, cigarettes, drink at about 14. I had a couple buddies that I could buy weed off their parents at that age. My best friends parents would let us smoke cigarettes only in the house at around 14 years old. really out of all the kids I hung around in the neighborhood, my parents were the only ones to restrict us on everything except ccigarettes.

In my sons case he wont be allowed to smoke cigarettes untill he is 17 or 18 if he decides to and he can drink at 18 since he wiI be an adult by then. I'd feel more comfortable with him smoking weed than cigarettes honestly.

So what are the ages you chose it will choose for your kids
This is ghetto trash.

Buying weed off your parents?

Express line to loser-ville.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:01 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,806,228 times
We all know this is the same @#$$#@@#@# on the daughter arrested for having 5lbs of weed and its the governments fault thread.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
That's odd. Usually a parent doing something automatically disqualifies that thing from being "cool"
Smoking and drinking are considered very "adult". Not every kid is interested in doing either activity, but many are, regardless of what Mom and/or Dad do. Plus the research shows that both are very correlated to what the parents do.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:22 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Smoking and drinking are considered very "adult". Not every kid is interested in doing either activity, but many are, regardless of what Mom and/or Dad do. Plus the research shows that both are very correlated to what the parents do.
I don't know that many people that even smoke any more. I have never smoked. I do see some people at the gas station convenience store buying cigarettes from time to time. I also see the kind of cars they have or lack of cars. On our job site where we are building a new hospital I see some smoke and all of them seem to be laborers and some of the tradesmen. Around the area where I work mostly homeless people smoking.

Smoking in US Declines to All-Time Low

"Smoking remains particularly high among people who live below the poverty level, those who have less education, and those who have a disability or a limitation, the report found."

Old 09-26-2016, 08:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
^^This is true. However, interest in smoking seems to wax and wane. Just when it hits an all time low, it then inches up a bit. Each low may be lower, but people are still smoking. Convenience stores, grocery stores, liquor stores, even some drug chains all carry cigarettes. They wouldn't if there was no demand for the product.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:23 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
18. They are legally adults. The first thing my daughter did when she turned 18 was to go out and get a Tat. She had graduated HS at 17, had a job, and paid for it herself. Her body, her choice.

Pretty much the same same for smoking or drinking. 18 years old, legally an adult, out of HS with a job, can join the Military, do what you want, especially when you are paying your parents RENT to live there.

Today, it seems that parents want to control their adult children forever and make them perpetual babies. To some even 25 is still too young in our society.

For what it's worth, my daughters are now 37 and 32. Is that old enough to make their own decisions?

Old 09-27-2016, 06:34 PM

159 posts, read 136,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
This is ghetto trash.

Buying weed off your parents?

Express line to loser-ville.
Wow. Pretty sheltered, huh?
I explained to my teen that it was unwise to do these things before her brain was developed. I think she had a few drinks and tried some weed once or twice though. Still made the honor roll and works in her chosen profession.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:00 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,308,551 times
Neither my husband or I smoke and really discouraged our kids smoking and since they witnessed my mother constantly coughing due to smokers cough plus effecting her health they had no desire to smoke. Under age drinking wasn't ok either. Now when they became adults we enjoy a glass of wine together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting